LURELOVERS™ Australian Fishing Lure Community Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Fishing > Messing around in Boats
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

chinese motors ??

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hypnos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: chinese motors ??
    Posted: 01 Dec 2016 at 6:08am
i know parsun have been round for some time & B.C.F handled them but does anybody know anything about Power Tec . Aqua Line or Zongshen outboards ??? 
they all have good purchase price but ................????
cheers
bazz
a wife & a steady job are a handicap to the serious fisherman !!
MadDogLures View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Mad Dog Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MadDogLures Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 2016 at 6:35am
Bazz I had a Tohastsu 6hp 4 stroke , 2nd hand paid $600 and never let me down. 
The Parsun are great motors but not sure about the others for parts.

Cheers.
Dave
Life is fishing!
bassnbob View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
B.O.B Timber Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bassnbob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 2016 at 7:07am
I had a tohastu 9.8 when i was a kid it pulled like a horse great motors Big smileBig smileregards bob
madoldeel View Drop Down
Ex Member.
Ex Member.
fake profile

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote madoldeel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 2016 at 9:17am
I went & did a heap of asking when looking for a motor....I asked every pro fisherman in my area & all but 1 had Yamaha..1 just got a new Parsun not large,,he said it got it due to cost issues..after 6 months he was cursing it something fierce would not start, would not stay running, he gave it to the fella at the local dump to use on his boat & went & got a Tohastu, loved it never had an issue. The other cheap brands you mentioned if you get on to you local repairer  he will tell you what mine told me,,SHIT one & all for salt water, in life if something is cheap it is crap, don`t last..me I would go without before I lowered my standards & got a Cheap Chinese motor. I also ask the local rescue mob, their answer was classic..here is what they said....out of the last 20 boats we have rescued 1 was a Yamaha ( no fuel ) the rest were that white motor with 300 hours no service, hahah I near had my mind made up on buying the White motor..lucky...  
hypnos View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hypnos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 2016 at 10:45am
thanks guys 
cheers
bazz
rodsncods View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rodsncods Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 2016 at 11:15am
just like another post in the last couple of days. you get what you pay for. yes, there will be things that are value for money. new items on the market still take time to be proven. one outboard that has been proven.....yamaha. take a chance and buy something that MIGHT BE GOOD or buy something that is known to be good. there are other good motors out there but on past expierence i'll stick with what i know. maintenence is number one.... no matter how good you think you are, you can't walk on water........mick
BEER IS PROOF THAT GOD LOVES US AND WANTS US TO BE HAPPY!!!
madoldeel View Drop Down
Ex Member.
Ex Member.
fake profile

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote madoldeel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 2016 at 2:30pm
MIck 100% correct mate can not walk on water & bloody hard to clutch start a boat motor....I have had heaps of motors & brands never but Yamaha will I buy now,,,last two perfect but I service mine every year..

Jeff View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 2016 at 5:12pm
I bought the Parsun because I am a poor bastard Wink If I had of had the money I would have  loved to buy a real branded motor .
I used to think my Parsun was ok , but thinking back ,no.
I did have another chinese motor , Sea King it was called . It was great , never had a problem with it in the 2 years I owned it . It would always start second pull . Ran smooth as well .
 The Parsun ,,, takes me about 5-6 pulls to start ,, chugs a bit , has chewed out impellors , and the carby had to be replaced . Might have just got a bad one , I dont know .

If you have the money , get a branded one is what I would say ,,, but if ya broke like me , get a Chinese one and see how you go . All I can say is , something is better than nothing . My Parsun did the job and will do again until I become rich , for how long , I dont know Wink
I like pretty painted sticks
Jeff View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 2016 at 5:14pm
Originally posted by MadDogLures MadDogLures wrote:

Bazz I had a Tohastsu 6hp 4 stroke , 2nd hand paid $600 and never let me down. 
The Parsun are great motors but not sure about the others for parts.

Cheers.
Dave

How do you know Parsun are great motors ?
I like pretty painted sticks
Paulski View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paulski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 2016 at 5:32pm
aaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhh 
OH WHAT A FEELING - MADE IN CHINA

There is one easy way to decide which motor to buy,
consider this, your out fishing, with your family for example on a boat, had a good day fishing, now its time to return home, go to start the motor and it wont start!!
This is where it gets interesting, at this point you start thinking to yourself, shit i should have bought that mercury, yamaha etc,
its getting dark and the kids start to panic, the missus starts on ya and things go downhill,
you keep trying to start the motor, it wont go, the battery goes flat, then you start pull starting it with the cord under the lid, still wont go, then you ring your brothers and friends but they are all busy, before long you look up and realize that in the confusion the anchor wasnt bedded properly and you have drifted 5 km away from the shore, by this time there is little mobile reception, but you manage to call the coast guard, but for an hour they cant find you,
now, you have a flat battery, cut hands from the pull cord, everyone is panicking saying they can swim to shore, its now dark, windy, there is a storm rolling in and you have very little light, the coast guard cant find you, so this is where you decide to set a flare off, burning your arm in the process, eventually the coast gaurd tows you to shore, and gives you a $500 fine too boot,

NOW DONT LAUGH this is a true story, and i was on the boat, and it wasnt my boat,
consider this when you buy chinese, because i assure you it very much changes your perspective on going fishing!!!!
Paulski View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paulski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 2016 at 5:33pm
but oh well, as long as its cheap thats the main thing
samurai View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
JaySea Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote samurai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 2016 at 6:42pm
And things like that never happen with motors not made in China, YEAH RIGHTShocked

Samurai
Any Brand Of Lure Is Only As Good As The Fishermen Using It.
madoldeel View Drop Down
Ex Member.
Ex Member.
fake profile

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote madoldeel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 2016 at 7:04pm
Samuri,,,you are correct mate,,,I have had dodgy White motor,,,never got another one,,,Mariner is Fisherman talk for bloody Anchor....but that is rare,,,,,,Parsun & the other Cheap Chinese crap is just that crap....it is not one story it is many & every year,,,,when you have 3 boat mechanic`s & two of them tell you straight out,,,no mate I don`t service the Parsun crap...what does that tell you,,,& the one that does says to the owner see you in a couple of months,,that means 1 thing,,,motors are crap.... few people on here have had them,,,,most have posts stating they have issues,,,,unlike the main brands which have a great name to start with the cheap Chinese are KNOWN as dodgy pieces of junk....face book is full of posts about crap motors,,very few are the good brands,,,most are the Parsun & Zongshen....which happen to be Chinese...why is something cheap......it is RUBBISH....my grandfather said you get what you pay for,,,that was true 50 years ago,,,,& funny enough it still is today,,,,China is world renown for cheap crap.....why...because most things are cheap crap...that is not bagging China that is stating fact..... 

puglee62 View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Fugly Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote puglee62 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2016 at 11:59am
Originally posted by madoldeel madoldeel wrote:

Samuri,,,you are correct mate,,,I have had dodgy White motor,,,never got another one,,,Mariner is Fisherman talk for bloody Anchor....but that is rare,,,,,

jeez Gary ive got a 30year old mariner on my boat and it runs good my mechanic said it was made by yamahaConfused,i am confused!LOL
that's no how ye make porridge!
hypnos View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hypnos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2016 at 2:03pm
i thought mariner was from the mercury stable 
cheers 
bazz
Fysshe Salmon View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
Fysshe Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fysshe Salmon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2016 at 3:10pm
Bazz, Mercury started a new line of motors (Mariner) in the early 70's to compete with OMC who had Johnson and Evinrude in their stable. The early motors were Yamahas until the early 80's and by 1986 with the advent of electronic fuel injection, they are the same motor. To add confusion, I've read that all Mercs under 40hp are rebadged Tohatsus...
Fysshe
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic