LURELOVERS™ Australian Fishing Lure Community Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Australian Lures > NSW Lures > Irons
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

irons

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Screamingreel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: irons
    Posted: 02 Nov 2010 at 12:34pm
I believe they became available around mid seventies I thought they came from NSW perhaps made by Kossler name not shown in our list
simon bruce View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Guide
LureLovers.com Guide

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote simon bruce Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 2010 at 2:31pm
Werner Kossman.

No separate section but if you hit the search button and put in Werner it will bring up a couple of posts on the lures.

I am sure Tony could set up a separate section for WK lures if he isn't already onto it.
Tony View Drop Down
Admin
Admin
Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tony Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 2010 at 3:43pm
Post moved to (new) WK Lures section Thumbs Up

I think I might even have one of these old beauties somewhere in an old kreel of mine - time to have another dig through the mess in the shed I think! Embarrassed

Cheers, Tony

For the love of Fishing Lures.
LureLovers.com Guide
LureLovers.com Guide

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote simon bruce Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 2010 at 3:52pm
The Kossler threw me, I knew Werner Kossman made metals and that these wer by him but I have done a bit of googling and need to correct my earlier post

Werner Kossman was WK lures arrow, bristle etc but the Irons were Gospel and Handstedt included the undertaker, henchman etc.

Tony might have to move this one again sorry, got confused by the kossler.
Tony View Drop Down
Admin
Admin
Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tony Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 2010 at 4:01pm
I don't mind moving it again Simon, if anything I love doing it when it means another unknown has been sorted out, and others might solve a riddle of their own as well!

Thanks for clarifying, I'll sort that out  - Just to be sure I get it right, were Gospel and Handstedt NSW as well? (mid north coast maybe?)

Cheers, Tony

LureLovers.com Guide
LureLovers.com Guide

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote simon bruce Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 2010 at 4:04pm
Tony

I need to get it right becasue if my memory serves me correctly the Angry Skipper did some work for them and had some of the moulds which he put up here so I'll do some searching of the forum and advise so I don't want to let him down by getting this wrong again.

Simon
LureLovers.com Guide
LureLovers.com Guide

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote simon bruce Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 2010 at 4:07pm

Well the memory went alright and I tracked down the Captain Cranky post about Handsteadt and Gospel, Irons were made in Coffs Harbour.

Simon
Tony View Drop Down
Admin
Admin
Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tony Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 2010 at 4:11pm
Thanks Simon - all sorted now thanks to your help Thumbs Up

Cheers, Tony

Screamingreel View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Screamingreel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 2010 at 5:06pm
Thanks Guys Sorry about the spelling I can remember them being advertised in the fishing mags about 40 years ago.

regards John
Darby View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Fishaholic Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Darby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov 2010 at 7:40pm
some of Joe Gosphels Irons

and some of Tom Nairn's Mavericks

and thanks to BILGE for jolting my grey matter over the proper ownership of Mavericks Clap,,,,,
hey it's been a long day in the salt mine, and the head is hurting OK LOLLOL

"If you are going to have fun with your rod.. get some wood

bilge View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
Bill Jackson Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bilge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov 2010 at 8:29pm

The Iron LyncherSmile ExecutionerSmile and Assasin and the Maverick Rattler and Taipan were  popular surfcasting lures here in Sth Oz. The Lyncher and executioner paticularly for salmon and the TaipanBig smileBig smileBig smile a red hot Mulloway lure in the surf and rocks, in blue fluoro green & yellow, and fluoro pink and yellow.

Billj
The older I get the more I learn.
CaptainCranky View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Guide
LureLovers.com Guide
Beta Tester

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CaptainCranky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov 2010 at 9:15pm
After finishing up in Sydney Werner kossman moved to Coff's and was just down the road from the factory where I worked for Joe and Wayne.Werner was a very nice fellow.I used to visit him sometimes in my lunch hour.Ironic isn't it visiting the opposition.
The Journey is the Reward

Davent View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Davent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2013 at 2:11pm
Igrew up on the mid north coast of NSW and all the mentioned lures were the ones to have.
Add to the list BO JAYS and the old wonder pilchard, and you were set.
My personal favorite was the 85gm or 100 grm wonder pilchard, got my first game fish spinning the rocks at bonny hills on an 85 wonder pilchard, an 11 kg northern bluefin, in 1983.
cluey View Drop Down
Unverified New Member
Unverified New Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cluey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct 2019 at 7:49pm
The whole range was made by Ray Bloomfield (Maverick Lures) at Greenwell Point, NSW   Werner lived here as well. There are probably still some unused models around.
cluey
p.j. View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
P.J's Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote p.j. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct 2019 at 11:01pm
Just saw this post, and thougth when i Saw this Pict. The Pilk with red under, is an Norwegian Stingsilda 

Look at this Pict off the Norwegian stingsilda Pilk

Amazing how many Lures around the world looks the same. Not that I will blame any fore copying Smile

Great day to all
Per

P.J. LURES
SO SMOKING HOT
EVEN CUSTOM DOGS LIKE THEM
kayargh1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kayargh1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 2019 at 9:08am
There is a book called "High Speed Spinning: The Lure of Sportfish from the Rocks" by Greg Stoneham that goes into some of the history of these lures and the individuals concerned. Wayne Handstedt is correct but I think that Joe's surname, correctly spelt, was Gausepohl (but pronounced Gospel). I think that Joe also answered to the nickname of Mex. I believe that the lure that PJ has picked up on was originally sold here as the Wonder Pilchard (as mentioned by Davent). It was apparently one of the lures favoured by the early high speed spinning devotees.  I seem to recall that Wayne may have been involved in the first opening in Sydney in Kent Street of what was the previously Melbourne only based Compleat Angler. Through him I obtained the recipe and parts to make up what was one of the early heavier two handed baitcaster rods.  The original rod of that design gained some individual notoriety when Wayne and Joe were involved in articles in The Australian Angler giving some of the first fishing focused publicity to Hat Head on the mid north coast in the mid 70's. Joe called his rod, maybe facetiously, his "cobia stick". Still owning one myself I think that must have been more because he caught a good cobia at Hat Head using it rather than it being designed with that species in mind. Regards, Ken.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic