LURELOVERS™ Australian Fishing Lure Community Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Lure Making > Make your own Fishing Lures > Questions and Tips re carving your own fishing lures
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Where to now?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Yatesdavid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2017 at 12:37pm
Looking the goods Mitch, like the rats and JJs a counting for some big cod, did ya get the wires

Cheers
Dave
Dave
horrorhead View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLover of the Year 2020

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horrorhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2017 at 4:05pm
ClapClapClapwell done - niceClapClapClap
Martin-

you don't havta be pretty to fish
mitchmcm View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mitchmcm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 2017 at 9:34pm
Things are coming along nicely, havent thrown my lures yet but have been making a few more. Did make a quick session where i lost 2 monsters, one on surface and the other on a spinnerbait which snapped my rod..... can anyone suggest a cheap swimbait rod capable of casting up to 4-5oz that i dont have to order from America? here is my latest creation, looks amazing, clear was perfect, however the action wasnt perfect by all standards, I thing the body shape and lack of ballast in the stomach accounted for the poor action. I know where i will take V2 of this, I also hoped that the propeller at the back would work but it didnt, so I may leave tat out until i get bigger ones. here it is

LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horrorhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2017 at 1:22pm
I think the wings need to come further forward - compare it to other surface crawlersThumbs Up
Martin-

mitchmcm View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mitchmcm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2017 at 9:47am
The lure was about 140mm long haha and they were set back 55mm. Version 2 is about 130mm and set back maybe 4cm I have also put some lead in the belly and change the shape entirely. I have also put the tow point higher up the lure inline with the top of the wings. this should help pull the head down creating angle in the wings and walk better.... I hope. If this doesnt work, I guess im onto Version 3
mitchmcm View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mitchmcm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2017 at 10:48pm
So this lure worked well as did another of my creations. Still.some more fine tuning but I think they are good. I'm making a massive 26cm surface snake. I will add photos tomorrow, but im just wondering what to use for bibs?!?!?!?! I'm hoping to find sheets of some kind and some form of metal. Preferably thin to reduce weight upfront.
mitchmcm View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mitchmcm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2017 at 10:54am
So here are some of the new creations. These two work really well. The half nude lure has a crazy fast action at slow retrieve speeds as the back half is very heavy with the propeller set up. The black one is V2 creeper and has a very slow walk about it. 

This is the big 26cm (ish) wake snake, not sure where to place or what to make the bib from, also what shape to make it. PLEASE HELP wit this. 

mitchmcm View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mitchmcm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2017 at 10:56am
If you want to check out the action of the lures i have uploaded them to my Instagram (Im not making a plug for myself) but its mitchell_mcm.
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horrorhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2017 at 2:56pm
How about a wake bait type bib - a short but wide bib that is angled at around 90 degrees to the lures body. There are a few big snake like surface lures with this set up and they wiggle wellThumbs Up.

OH ... and looking real goodClap
Martin-

Nicho View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Nichos Maulers

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nicho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2017 at 2:59pm
Looks like your having fun mitch, best way to learn is experiment and learn from mistakes, learn why a lure does what , and what makes it do it....plenty could offer advice, but your on the right track and learning the best way...trial and error.
I could suggest a possible bib shape for your snake lure, but there are many that will work with that lure, so once again...trial and error, will teach you more than any suggestions i can make.
Your clears looking better......possibility of why you had some clear that felt soft to the touch, my first thought would be too much hardener added.....theres other possibilities, but id correct mixture first....before looking further.

Jas
Nichos Maulers Homemade timber lures....THEY CATCH FISH!

YA DONT KNOW...IF YA DONT GO...SO GET OUT THERE AND... FISH IT
Doc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Doc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar 2017 at 9:34pm
I am a big fan of the double eyelets they act more like a hindge and deliver more action rather than the back part of the lure draging behind like a dead dog especially larger lures
mitchmcm View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mitchmcm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 2017 at 10:46am
Originally posted by Doc Doc wrote:

I am a big fan of the double eyelets they act more like a hindge and deliver more action rather than the back part of the lure draging behind like a dead dog especially larger lures

Really? it does make sense, i have noticed that most australian manufactures like mudeye, thursty, JJS plague etc have only used single connections and they have a great action. the double eyelet hinge joint makes alot of sense though. would add to the strength also.
Doc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Doc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 2017 at 4:12pm
It dose add strength but I like the way the lure sits in the water when stationary and twitched all the movement is put into sideways motion and not lost vertical motion
Danny View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Danny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct 2017 at 2:56pm
Great work Mitch and congratulations on your efforts so far. While reading your post I couldn't help but think of a few other "golden rules" that apply to making wakebaits and surface paddlers and other jointed lures ect, and was hoping to see a bit more input from other members.
There's already been some great info from the fellas who have already mentioned a few pointers. I make barra lures and have not yet ventured into this style of lure but I have a few cod and bass fishing friends who are requesting that I have a go. So are there any hard and fast rules that apply?
Dan
Musky Maven View Drop Down
Unverified New Member
Unverified New Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Musky Maven Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2019 at 12:24pm
Great looking creeper Mitch. Are you still building them? I build that style lure myself and am always looking to share tips and possibly add another builders works to my collection of handmade creepers.
Doc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Doc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 2019 at 9:02pm
The eyes are great and the black lures finish looks like a baby grand piano very nice
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic