LURELOVERS™ Australian Fishing Lure Community Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Lure Making > Metals - Jigs, Spoons, Slices and Vibes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Small spinnerbait mould recommendations

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ces Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Small spinnerbait mould recommendations
    Posted: 19 Jan 2017 at 11:44am
Hey guys,

So I'm looking into starting to pour my own spinnerbaits because I find it difficult/expensive to find commercial bass sized spinnerbaits.

Does anyone have a recommendation for a mould that would accept size 1 and/or 2 hooks? I have looked at do-it-molds crappie spinner bait mould but would love to hear from someone with experience.

Thanks guys,

Cheers,

Ces.
Yatesdavid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Yatesdavid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2017 at 6:28pm
Hay Ces, I picked up this mould some years ago at a sale and thought that I could use it for spinner baits and it works a treat, and I made a few of these small fellows heres the mould
Dave
Ces View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ces Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2017 at 2:13pm
Nice little bait mate. very cool. Thanks for showing. I'll see if can find one somewhere online, as I like the idea of having a mould that can pour jigs as well.

Excuse my ignorance here but how to you go about removing the lead from the pouring hole without damaging the wire coming out of the jig head?

Sorry mate. Never poured any metals before.

Thanks for the help.

Cheers,

Ces.
Ces View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ces Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2017 at 3:29pm
Hey mate, I ended up going with a do-it round head jig mould but I'm still a little unclear on how you pour and get the wire form out of the flash. I can't see any mods on your mould so I'm assuming the wire form sits through the flash hole?

Thanks for the help mate.

Cheers,

Ces.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Yatesdavid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2017 at 4:36pm
All cool, the wire sticks out the large hole at the top, I pre heat the mould a little so the lead doesn't Harding to fast.
Once poured you just open the mould and I just use the hook to lift the whole lot out, the lead doesn't stick to the mould as it's a different metal

Cheers Dave.
Dave

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Yatesdavid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2017 at 4:56pm
Here's some pics to help

And this is what I use as a Melton pot and ladle, the pot is a brake calliper piston and the ladle is a metal rod welded to a small slightly bent over welsh plug from an engine

I just sit it over a camping stove
Dave
Ces View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ces Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2017 at 2:16pm
G'day Dave,

Sorry I missed this reply. Thanks you for the photos and explanation, they are very much appreciated.

I didn't think about the lead not sticking to the wire form coming out of the flash hole and as its not encapsulated like the hook and eyes it should remain in place when removing the flash... duh.

Thanks again mate.

Cheers,

Ces.
Kimo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kimo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2017 at 3:39pm
If Needed Talcum powder (baby powder Do they still make /use it } is a good release agent sprinkled in the mold before pouring.
Cheers Kimo
Ces View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ces Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug 2017 at 6:47am

So Dave and everyone else who helped. Here are my first couple. Went with a commercial mould. Tried your way Dave but the mould I got was too small. This one has size 1 eagle claws. Just what I was after.
Ces View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ces Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug 2017 at 6:48am
Phone froze. Here's a second pic. A small quaddie.
Ces View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ces Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug 2017 at 6:50am
Aaaargh. No second pic for now. Sorry.

Thanks for looking
Ducks View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ducks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug 2017 at 8:05am
Great finish on that. Will definitely catch fish.
Screamingreel View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Screamingreel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug 2017 at 8:47am
Like the eye  hope the fish appreciate it.

Regards John
Ces View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ces Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2017 at 11:52am
Cheers guys. Gave a test swim over the weekend. All looking good. Now. C'mon the warm weather!

Here's the pic of the quaddie.

Thanks again guys.

Ces
Ces View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ces Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2017 at 1:17pm

Thought I might as well put up the last pic I took. Over trimmed the skirt a little on this one.

Thanks for looking guys.

Cheers,

Ces.
TJC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TJC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2017 at 8:07pm
They look the goods, but you may want to use a higher quality swivel on your blade to ensure they spin at slow speed. Good work!

Tim
34 South

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Yatesdavid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2017 at 11:10pm
G'day Ces,
They turned out an absolute treat, glade to help mate and be sure to post some pics of fish on the end
Cheers
Dave
Dave
Ces View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ces Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug 2017 at 2:12am
Thanks Dave. Really appreciated your input with this.

Cheers for the tip Tim. Just used the smallest one's I had around. Do you have any brands you'd recommend?

Also guys, just a question... in the last photo you can clearly see which way I've attached the front/small blade. Is that the right way to put them on? Concave site out/to the front?

Thanks again guys.

Cheers,

Ces.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Yatesdavid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug 2017 at 11:22pm
Hay Ces,
Spin it around mate, convex to the front
Cheers
Dave
Dave
Doc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Doc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep 2017 at 5:56am
I buy talc at CDA engineering supplies $10 for 2kg bucket No fragrance in it. I use it on silicone moulds as a release agent for polyurethane. On lead I use graphite powder if the mould is highly detailed with scales and straight sided eye sockets and cold moulds, slows the chilling by the aluminium on the first part of your pour. With both, less is more a makeup brush is a good applicator 
rivermandave View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rivermandave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2017 at 3:58am
Looks like you got the front blade backwards Confused

The indented part of the blade like this ")" should be pointing to the other blade.

Here's a simple diagram rear blade - shaft - front blade

O---)----

Best way is to just look at a "store bought" lure to see what I mean. Wink

Originally posted by Ces Ces wrote:

Thanks Dave. Really appreciated your input with this.

Cheers for the tip Tim. Just used the smallest one's I had around. Do you have any brands you'd recommend?

Also guys, just a question... in the last photo you can clearly see which way I've attached the front/small blade. Is that the right way to put them on? Concave site out/to the front?

Thanks again guys.

Cheers,

Ces.
Ces View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ces Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2017 at 11:22am
Yep. They're the right way round now.

Thanks mate
puglee62 View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Fugly Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote puglee62 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2017 at 12:46pm
gee they turned out nice though CesThumbs Up
that's no how ye make porridge!
Ces View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ces Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2017 at 5:33pm
Thanks Chris. Took a bit of undoing to turn the front blades around (thanks Dave and riverman) but now they look decent and swim right. Wont make that mistake again Ouch

Gonna give them a real go next week for my birthday. Supposed to be a warm spell mid-week.

Cheers,

Ces.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic