LURELOVERS™ Australian Fishing Lure Community Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Books and Publications > Vintage and Collectible Books and Publications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

This Morning's Pick Up

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pegasus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: This Morning's Pick Up
    Posted: 28 Jan 2017 at 9:48am
Greetings, as I was warned, it's started- I am not sure where I am heading in the lure collecting journey soooo much great stuff :) . Whether I am going in a direction or just random - a sort of "what looks good- floats ya boat type of thing".

Tagged along with the better half at 6 a.m. to an enormous/huge garage sale at a nearby church- huge- north side Brisbane. Thinking, I would have to find an interesting lure or something. To my disappointment not a lure to be seen- found two poor cheap rods but all was not lost.

Exiting via the book section found an interesting book- Guide To Fishes Queensland 1965-( E.M Grant). I open it at a page mark by book mark of sorts. It is ironic that the page that is marked is a fish my son asking ref ID on boat night fishing trip- near Moreton Island just a few nights prior. He actually caught one of these little Dragon fishes in the landing net. I did not know what it was at the time. Bizarre.

Anyways back to the book/s- it seems to be the first addition. Highly detail drawings not photos were used- 8000 published

The book mark-is a Size / Limit guide( Toss That Tiddler)by Dept of Harbours and Marine- dated 1965.

A few feet away noticed Grant's Fishes of Australia (1987).

Some photographs below. Any comments/ guidance to the value/ collectability of any of the above greatly appreciated.

Best regards,

Lew
rodsncods View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rodsncods Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2017 at 10:26am
would be a very interesting read, have a go at some of the size limits back then......mick
BEER IS PROOF THAT GOD LOVES US AND WANTS US TO BE HAPPY!!!
horrorhead View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLover of the Year 2020

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horrorhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2017 at 12:51pm
I have a couple of the 1987 (?) Qld versions - sorry had, just remembered, I gave one to a brother in law.My very first one was printed in 1978 (same cover as the "87 version) and cost $120, took me months to save up for it with an after school job- I loaned it to a friend and never saw it againCry.

With the '87 version, I asked at a second hand book shop 10 years ago and was told that they could get me a second hand one for $80. Soon afterwards I picked up 3 for $5, $10 and $25 and gave 2 of them away. As  to their true value - who knows.

Ernie Grant's son - Morgan Grant is on Facebook and is also very knowledgeable in fishies.
Martin-

you don't havta be pretty to fish
murraycod View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote murraycod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2017 at 1:46pm
Australian Fishing Books by Jim Findlay puts them both at $30 to $40 but it is easy to find them for less.
Pegasus View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pegasus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2017 at 5:56pm
Mick,

Defiantly- e.g. states two size limits barra- fresh and salt- 15 & 20 inches respectively- amberjack 16 inches, bream 9inches, jewfish silver 13inches- wow.

Thanks guys for the feedback and comments- much appreciated. Think I will keep the big one for my use and move the other on somewhere down the line or not :)

Kind regards,

Lew

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic