LURELOVERS™ Australian Fishing Lure Community Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Lure Making > Make your own Fishing Lures > Questions and Tips re carving your own fishing lures
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Buying blanks.

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Johno100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Buying blanks.
    Posted: 02 Mar 2017 at 11:49pm
Gday I have been playing around with certain styles and drawing up stuff for years but have never gone the whole hog. I did 3 years as an apprentice toolmaker before I went prawning and gave up the tools, so am pretty handy with dimensions and equipment. But what I would like to do is get a number of blanks, in say minnow and various others, to finish and paint and practice on to see what Im up against. I have compressor and power tools and shed. 
If anyone can point me in the right direction it woulld be very appreciated.
Cheers all
Addicted to lures ................and fishing of course !!
Chep Buxley View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Chep Buxley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 2017 at 5:40am
Have look at POWELL LURES. He sells kits of lures that are ready to finish.
Fysshe Salmon View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
Fysshe Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Fysshe Salmon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 2017 at 7:44am
If you just want some blanks to practice on, just type in lure blanks on Ebay! There are multiple sites to obtain blanks at a cheap price.
Fysshe
Johno100 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Johno100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 2017 at 2:48pm
Cheers guys looked at the sites and ebay decided to cut my own have profiles and access to saw till I decide to get one.
Thanks
John
Doc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Doc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2017 at 12:49pm
Shane has a good point Powell lures kit is a good idea seeing how they go together and will give a good head start to making your own shapes
Johno100 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Johno100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2017 at 1:00pm
Yeah I am going to invest in a couple of the Powell kits and do some work. Thanks for the advice fellas I really do appreciate the knowledgable input. There is a lot of pine deforestation going on and willow removal so am collecting timber as I go to play with also poplars. One more question what do people make profiles out of ?
hazmail View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Rayna Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote hazmail Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2017 at 1:04pm
Plastic sheet or maybe laminex if you need it to bend/twist, or for more durable model try thin Aluminium sheet.
Pete
   'RAYNA' ---Free Range Lures
peterayn@yahoo.com.au
Johno100 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Johno100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2017 at 2:11pm
Just wondering if someone can post the link to buy a powells making kit. But in my searching downloaded a fantastic article from Travers Powell from fishing monthly in 2011 that is absolutely brilliant for wannabe luremakers like me. 
Very happy guys
Doc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Doc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2017 at 7:58pm
Travers is a good guy he enjoys making lures and really likes helping people into luremaking and has a straight forward step by step technic for getting them done. Try him on facebook
Johno100 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Johno100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2017 at 8:39pm
Thanks for the link will follow up. He seems like a genuinely good bloke
Cheers
johno
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic