LURELOVERS™ Australian Fishing Lure Community Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Lure Making > Make your own Fishing Lures
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Lure strength

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Danny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Lure strength
    Posted: 11 Mar 2017 at 6:40pm
Hey fellas,
                 I had my first lure fail last weekend and it's got me questioning a few things. I had a pinned bib pull out while I was tightening a loop knot. The bib broke behind the pin and pulled out. I did get the bib from a mate and I'm pretty sure it was polycarbonate but I may have also drilled the pin hole too close to the back of the bib, leaving not much meat. The last 12 months my other lures have been tested on some good fish which have stretched heavy duty split rings and twisted up 3&6x VMC hooks but I havnt broken one bib or pulled out a twisted wire or straightened any omega clips. There was even a stingray I foul hooked that was every bit the width and length of my 4.6m boat (Anyone who's visited the gulf will know the ones I mean) I seal my lures with norglass penetrating wood sealer which is a 2pac epoxy and it does clearly say that it should be applied after gluing, filling and sanding but after I swim and check them I seal, prime, paint, glue, then clear. Should I consider changing my process that will see me drilling wire holes and bib slots after sealing allowing the glue to bite into fresh timber or do you think this might be an isolated failure? My lures are white beech but the particular lure that pulled the bib may have been a piece of pine, glue is 24hr arildite and the bib had a 3-4mm glue hole.
Cheers
Dan
Dan
horrorhead View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLover of the Year 2020

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote horrorhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2017 at 6:53pm
Do you also drill other holes in the bib so the glue forms  "pins" of dried glue as well. Les Barlow drills 3 holes to form these "glue pins" and his bibs (or beaks as he calls them) don't pull out. 

Martin-

you don't havta be pretty to fish
Danny View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Danny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2017 at 7:08pm
The bibs I usually use have a 6-7mm hexagon glue hole in them and then once set, the next day I'll drill and pin then. The particular bib in question had a 5mm glue hole that I may have put in it, I can't recall. Another thing I left out was the lure had caught fish previously.
Dan
puglee62 View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Fugly Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote puglee62 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2017 at 9:08pm
some polycarbonates get brittle with araldite mate,i recon your usual bibs are good ones(makrolon?) but i think the one your friend gave you was a lesser quality low UV job.a similar thing happened to me when i used a bib cut by a different company to what i usually use(can pm you the brand if you like).Bloke had just landed a 59cm bass when the bib snapped off ,i'm pretty sure the araldite+the crappy polycarb were the culprit
that's no how ye make porridge!
Danny View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Danny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2017 at 9:18pm
Yeah ok, that's interesting. Send me a pm. I will have to catch up with my friend and find out where they came from.
Dan
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horrorhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2017 at 5:06pm
Interesting Mr SinclairThumbs Up. That is something I would not have suspected and a potential trap for anybody using poly bibs.
Martin-

Blinky View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Blinky's Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Blinky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2017 at 9:36pm
I have heard of araldite no agreeing with polycarb but only on really old, sun affected stuff. All my bibs are polycarbonate glued with 24 hr Araldite, I really score up the bibs on the section that will hold the glue and always run a file through the bib slot prior to gluing to ensure it's clean fresh timber. Not a big fan of putting holes in bibs to give plugs of glue, they just make shear points in my opinion......the only holes I drill are for the pins. Also not a big fan of White Beech due to its "greasiness" which I feel doesn't hold glue as well as some other timbers, hence 99% of mine are in WRC.
I've stretch my lures pretty seriously during testing in a controlled environment and also on some fairly serious fish, had no failures when I've been on the end and have not heard of any failures from other users.

Just my two bobs worth.
Blinky.

Blinky's Lures.
The lures that catch fish, not fishermen.........
Facebook
samurai View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
JaySea Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote samurai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2017 at 11:07pm
  I have been using Araldite for gluing bibs made from all sorts of materials including poly, steel, s/steel and alloy (among other strange materials) for over thirty years and have never had a bib come out or break nor have I ever had any reports of bib problems from anyone who has used lures made by me. I have used Araldite on timber, moulded and plastic lures. For the last six months I have been experimenting with removing the plastic moulded bibs on plastic lures from China and replacing them with poly bibs cut and shaped by myself then using Araldite to fit the poly bibs, so far the results and strength testing have been great.
   I would seriously doubt that your problem has anything to do with Araldite. But hey that's just my two bobs worthTongue

Cheers Warren
Any Brand Of Lure Is Only As Good As The Fishermen Using It.
Danny View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Danny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2017 at 5:45am
When you say you've never had a bib pull out, have you ever tried to physically pull one out. Are your bibs glued in so strong that you wouldn't be able to pull a bib out if you tried. I was fairly swinging off this lure when I was tightening the loop knot but doubt I would be putting 150kg plus weight on it but maybe.
Dan
Nicho View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Nichos Maulers

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nicho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2017 at 7:22am
Sheet happens danny....i wouldnt worry too much mate...maybe just an oversite when glueing and one got missed or partially missed.

I think some of the instant super glue type lures can make poly brittle.
Nichos Maulers Homemade timber lures....THEY CATCH FISH!

YA DONT KNOW...IF YA DONT GO...SO GET OUT THERE AND... FISH IT
puglee62 View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Fugly Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote puglee62 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2017 at 7:27am
polycarbonate has a UV stabiliser added to it when its molded ,the amount of stabiliser added determines how brittle or flexible its going to be when subjected to heat or glues.i know this because i worked in a factory that made polycarbonates.polycarbonate bibs affected by glues has also been discussed on this forum before.I'm not saying anyone elses lures are no good  I was just stating my opinion.as ive said before i usually use makrolon polycarb in my bibs and have never had a problem with this product.just for the record ive been making lures since 1985
Nicho View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Nichos Maulers

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nicho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2017 at 7:40am
When i used super glue ...loctite type glues i found that the poly would flash/change color instantly from clear to white where glue was applied...so like you said chris the glue/heat obviously reacts with poly in some way and probably some polys are more prone to this...

I had a bib pull out once but on inspection i found i forgot to glue it at all :)
Frock me i said.

samurai View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
JaySea Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote samurai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2017 at 8:09am
Originally posted by Danny Danny wrote:

When you say you've never had a bib pull out, have you ever tried to physically pull one out. Are your bibs glued in so strong that you wouldn't be able to pull a bib out if you tried. I was fairly swinging off this lure when I was tightening the loop knot but doubt I would be putting 150kg plus weight on it but maybe.

When I make a lure I try to  make them strong enough to catch the species the lure is aimed at, not what a human is likely to try and do to it. I doubt a Bass or a Flathead would be likely to put 150kg of pressure on a lure/bib aimed at that species, but then again maybe they grow bigger in some areasTongue I think you get my drift (maybe)
   Then again, maybe there are lure users out there trying to catch Marlin on Bream lures!

Cheers Samurai
Any Brand Of Lure Is Only As Good As The Fishermen Using It.
Danny View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Danny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2017 at 9:04am
Cheers fellas. Yeah trying not to get too hung up on it. Just want to make the best lure I can. I've had angry barra and threadies up to 90cm hang from them and had split rings stretch and hooks all twisted up so I have plenty of faith in the glue but was questioning my process. I'll be more careful from now on.
Dan
puglee62 View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Fugly Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote puglee62 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2017 at 11:45am
Originally posted by Nicho Nicho wrote:

When i used super glue ...loctite type glues i found that the poly would flash/change color instantly from clear to white where glue was applied...so like you said chris the glue/heat obviously reacts with poly in some way and probably some polys are more prone to this...

I had a bib pull out once but on inspection i found i forgot to glue it at all :)
Frock me i said.
that was the 2012 lure expo?LOL,i think you could be forgiven that one time JasWink
Blinky View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Blinky's Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blinky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2017 at 11:47am

Actually I have tried to physically pull a bib out........and no I didn't pull a bib out, the Omega Clip failed (bent stainless wire type, not pressed type)

I imagine I could possibly pull a bib out if I used a pressed Omega Clip, but I think the timber would fail before the actual glue parted company......

Blinky.

Blinky's Lures.
The lures that catch fish, not fishermen.........
Facebook
puglee62 View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Fugly Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote puglee62 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2017 at 11:52am

Cheers fellas. Yeah trying not to get too hung up on it. Just want to make the best lure I can. I've had angry barra and threadies up to 90cm hang from them and had split rings stretch and hooks all twisted up so I have plenty of faith in the glue but was questioning my process. I'll be more careful from now on.
you could try cutting your bib slots a little deeper too Danny,although you'd have to change your bibs a little if you did this,another thing you could do is to run your tow wire through the bib slot to the body and that'd take a lot of pressure offThumbs Up
Danny View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Danny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2017 at 2:50pm
Wow it's good to know that you've tested them like that and they have survived. Good work.
Dan
Nicho View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Nichos Maulers

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nicho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2017 at 6:13pm
Originally posted by puglee62 puglee62 wrote:

Actually you know me too well it was around that time :)   good memories :)

Originally posted by Nicho Nicho wrote:

Frock me i said.
that was the 2012 lure expo?LOL,i think you could be forgiven that one time JasWink

DocYarrum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DocYarrum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2017 at 8:47pm
I have also heard of certain lure makers drilling a small hole slightly wider than the bib slot, across the body of the lure at the back of bib slot.
This basically creates a cavity for the glue to set behind the bib and form a plug to help add extra strength.
Or so I am told, haven't tried it myself as yet!
Cheers,

Troy
Danny View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Danny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2017 at 9:36pm
All faith has been restored in my lure strength after a friend today caught this 119cm beast. I'm going to chalk that one failure down to the fact that maybe I forgot to glue it. Haha.
Dan
Raffey View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Raffey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2017 at 10:22pm
Awesome Dan! What a beast! Well done mate,

Cheers,

Danny.
Echo Lures
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horrorhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2017 at 6:12pm
ClapClapClapyou got to be happy with that, that fish would have pulled like a freight trainClapClapClap.

Just remember, Marsha Brierman used 50 lb stand up gear to catch marlin over 1,000 lbs, more then 20 times the rating of her gearThumbs Up
Martin-

Danny View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Danny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2017 at 8:01pm
Thanks Danny. Yeah it was a beast. Certainly didn't expect that Barra fishing.
I didn't know that about the marlin fishing but your 100% correct.
Dan
Dan
puglee62 View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Fugly Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote puglee62 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2017 at 12:27am
thats a good chunk of fish,pretty good test for your lures thats for sureThumbs Up
Lwalker View Drop Down
Unverified New Member
Unverified New Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lwalker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 2017 at 9:57pm
Hi guys, just wondering if anyone has a bib supplier that i can go to?
Ive ordered some alloy bibs but typically lures ive seen are poly of some sort. 
any assistance is appreciated, new to making lures. cheers.
Danny View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Danny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 2017 at 10:42pm
Lazerworx has a standard catalogue of polycarbonate bibs available in 1,1.5 and 2mm and for a fee they will also take your design and make your own style of bib for you. There been very good to deal with.
Dan
fletch View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
Kuttafurra Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fletch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov 2017 at 12:05am
I been investigating thos bib breaking for ages now .
I found out bayer joined up with another mob and their polycarb is being made . But they are recycling polycarb aswell.
In full sheets you can have weak areas . No glue on surface . Still break . Divers break like acrylic in spots no where near where been glued . But also where glued . I had been talking with deaan at hubers for over a year saying these just keep breaking . In past could not break deans bibs at all. Notice last year or so bibs break all the time . Ive been breaking mine in checks once glued and now have a nice box full i need to bandsaw bibs out to reglue ..
Fish dont buy lures
Danny View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Danny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov 2017 at 4:46am
Oh geez that sux. I’m amazed how many friends (fishing friends, not lure makers) bag out polycarbonate or what they call “plastic” bibs after a breakage or bad experience. All my bibs come from lazerworx and I’ve bent them back and forth and demonstrated their strength and yeah, it’s clear to see who has the better product. I know strength isn’t the be all and end all and it’s horses for courses,but when you have that metre+ Barra or cod on, for me IT MATTERS.
Dan
p.j. View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
P.J's Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote p.j. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov 2017 at 6:55am
I have never clear coated my Lures after i glued the Poly Carbonate bib in with 2 part epoxy.
Always have a piece off card board instead. That gives me a handle when i am putting on clear cote and also i can put it in the clamp in my drying wheel
But recently i made some Lures off very old Bog Oak to fish with, and thought thy needed a bit more clear cote after the bibs was in. Used tape to cover the bib. But after the clear was cured, the surface off the bib was soft and i cud scrape a bit off with a nail. 
Don´t now if it was a combo off the glue from the tape and the clear cote, but it hardened up again after some time. Good thing thy are not towed from the bib, and I still have the possibility to catch a Fish on a Lure made off 2 to 3000 year old Wood Smile

P.J. LURES
SO SMOKING HOT
EVEN CUSTOM DOGS LIKE THEM
puglee62 View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Fugly Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote puglee62 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2017 at 9:51am
Per i think any glue or clear would effect the strength of the bib to some extent,try rubbing a scrap piece of polycabonate with a rag soaked in acrylic lacquer paint thinnerWink,i does not like it!.i usually fit my bibs after painting too mate Less chance of getting paint on the bib
rally44 View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Lee's Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rally44 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2017 at 12:06pm
I concur Chris, only way to go. Cheers Richard.
Dads in the shed making saw-dust again.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic