LURELOVERS™ Australian Fishing Lure Community Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Fishing Tackle > General Tackle Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

brand names

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Unverified New Member
Unverified New Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote beer-breath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: brand names
    Posted: 07 Apr 2017 at 7:01am
does it matter if the name is out there already?
I finally decided to "brand" my plugs, and came up with a name, using my late father's.
I just finished a baker's dozen of new lures, painted and ready for coating. wrote their new name on them all, and it looks good, real happy with it.
then, out of curiosity, I just thought that I should have looked the name up first to see if it's being used already. and I found that there is a wobbler-style spoon made by that name. I found it mentioned in forums, but any attempt to go to their site fails, I am assuming because they are older/vintage and no longer made maybe.

so now I am wondering what to do. I can't change the batch that I have already branded. should I change it somehow? maybe slightly. would just adding "plugs" to it be better?
horrorhead View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLover of the Year 2020

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horrorhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2017 at 5:35pm
For my 2 cents worth, I would add "plugs" afterwards to distinguish between ours and the other lures as a bare minimum.

I don't know about the legal side of things but for ethical and moral purposes, you should add a distinction between them.
Martin-

you don't havta be pretty to fish
beer-breath View Drop Down
Unverified New Member
Unverified New Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote beer-breath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2017 at 3:44am
that's what I was thinking. i'm not worried about lawsuits really, that spoon is old and the company isn't around anymore, and it looks like they were more nicknamed that name, it was shortened from a double name combination. but that's what they are known by, and that bothers me more. I wouldn't want someone seeing mine one day and assuming they must be made by someone else. but I have no plans on selling mine, I just thought I should be identifying them in some way though. I will have to go back to the drawing board maybe. I can maybe still airbrush over my brand. thanks horrorhead.
puglee62 View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Fugly Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote puglee62 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2017 at 12:18pm
if theres only 13 it should'nt be a problem as long as you add "plug" to any future ones you make i dont think there'd be too much trouble.you could always say your father made them theres no law against putting your own name on somethingWink
that's no how ye make porridge!
Unverified New Member
Unverified New Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote beer-breath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2017 at 2:21pm
thank, puglee. i think that's what i will be doing. i tried airbrushing over one today, and it's not going to work, i'll completely wreck my paintjobs. so that batch will remain the way they are. i maybe could add "plug" onto them, but the single word is already centred and it really won't work for space.

and besides, my dad made that batch......right.
Unverified New Member
Unverified New Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote beer-breath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2017 at 2:35pm
i finished painting my batch of new lures today. the new style of plug i came up with. i am so excited to see them in the water again, but painted. i am soooo in love with their action.
and i did it again.
i got my paint station all set up and organized. set out only the paints i wanted for the seven lures. even had seven designs written down in detail. and when the paint-dust settled and i was all done, exactly one and a half lures matched my pre-planned designs. there was to be one with silver and green. in fact, there's not silver on any of them. one was to be blue predominantly, with gold and black. no blue in any of them.
i am convinced that the ONLY way i will be able to follow through on specific designs, is to do one plug at a time. start to finish, complete one fully. it's hard though, when you have several ready and hanging right there, and you have extra paint right there in the bowl of the airbrush. just a little spray on this one, and a touch right there on that one, oh, and here's an idea for that one over there.
horrorhead View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLover of the Year 2020

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horrorhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2017 at 4:54pm
LOLLOLLOL
Martin-

you don't havta be pretty to fish
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic