LURELOVERS™ Australian Fishing Lure Community Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Lure Making > Make your own Fishing Lures > Timbers for lure making
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

cedars?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Unverified New Member
Unverified New Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote beer-breath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: cedars?
    Posted: 16 Apr 2017 at 12:58pm
K, so what is the differences between red and yellow cedar? locally here, I have read that the big lure-makers are using "yellow" cedar.
what might be better with yellow cedar?? one thing I can think of, is maybe it has tighter grain? that is one issue I have with using red cedar, is the grain is so large. where that becomes an issue for me, is with my hole-through design. I need to drill a precise hole through the lure, and the grain can be a PITA for this.
horrorhead View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLover of the Year 2020

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horrorhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2017 at 4:25pm
In Australia we have a red cedar which has a tight grain and import a western red cedar. The WR cedar has a large grain and is from America, notably from British Columbia.

I don't know about your yellow cedar unless we market it here under another name?
Martin-

you don't havta be pretty to fish
Seaweed View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
née Capt.Seaweed

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Seaweed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2017 at 11:45am
Beer-Breath (love that monicker), you would be pleasantly surprized if you tried your American Redwood (Sequoia) beautiful to carve, I've used it here in Oz. Would love to get my hands on some more.
Regards, Seaweed.
"Always Merry and Bright"
beer-breath View Drop Down
Unverified New Member
Unverified New Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote beer-breath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2017 at 10:12am
thanks guys. I did some researching, and the yellow cedar is Alaskan. it's slower-growing and the hardest cedar in the world. it also has very straight grain, so very different that way from the red cedar. apparently, it's used extensively in paddle making, probably due to it's straight grain. and also very popular in boat-building. it greatly withstands constant wear and load impacts, and does not splinter.
and apparently, the Alaskan yellow cedar is not in fact a cedar at all, but is actually a cypress tree. hmmm!? don't know why they are then passing it off as cedar, probably more popular doing that for sales. no wonder it has none of the cedar traits, soft wood, large grain, splinters, etc, because it's NOT a dang cedar in the first place.
horrorhead View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLover of the Year 2020

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horrorhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2017 at 5:18pm
I think that may be the timber the oars in my boat are made out of yellow cedar - your description of the timber matches them.

Martin-

you don't havta be pretty to fish
hazmail View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Rayna Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hazmail Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2017 at 7:37pm
I think they use  "white cedar'' (turned on a lathe) over there for saltwater plugs etc, perfect for those sabre toothed saltwater critters.LOL
Pete
   'RAYNA' ---Free Range Lures
peterayn@yahoo.com.au
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic