LURELOVERS™ Australian Fishing Lure Community Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Lure Making > Make your own Fishing Lures > Questions and Tips re carving your own fishing lures
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Cutting lure bodies

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Unverified New Member
Unverified New Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mocca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Cutting lure bodies
    Posted: 29 Apr 2017 at 8:50pm
Hi guys, I'm new to the forum & too lure making
I'm cutting my primary shape (side view) out with a jig saw, then cutting the top profile with a scroll saw, just wondering how every one does the second shape, want too keep all my fingers attached if possible?
bignanny View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
CAM Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bignanny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2017 at 12:34am
Hi mocca i cut my blanks out with a band saw and then use templates ive cut from plastic to mark the profile of the lure. I use my 9 inch disc sander to make the curve and then carve the rest of the lure by hand. Pretty much what your doing. Sometimes loose some skin from the disc sander . Regards Chris 
All my braids gone!
beer-breath View Drop Down
Unverified New Member
Unverified New Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote beer-breath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2017 at 3:24am
not that mine are similar to the main styles on here, but I use my scroll saw to cut the shapes, then my combo-sander to round them into their finished shape. then final sanding by hand. I just moved to the proper tools this past year, and now have a lathe as well, for other styles. I was originally doing it all by hand, whittling and carving the wood to shape, then sanding it smooth by hand as well. that was fun at first, to be proud to have made it completely by hand from scratch. but that feeling subsided eventually, when I wanted to speed up the shaping process to get to the painting stage.
but I still haven't gotten real precise like most guys. I have the basic shapes that I want, and I totally eyeball them during the shaping. no two ever end up the same, just similar really. I like the idea that every one is unique and one of a kind, and has it's own characteristics. but mine are purely for personal use and i'm not trying to sell them, so I don't care if they aren't perfect.
Mocca View Drop Down
Unverified New Member
Unverified New Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mocca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2017 at 8:10am
Thanks for the tips guys, same mine are for personal use and for mates I was cutting the secondary shape on the scroll saw but I think I'll save some time and Pre cut my timber to the correct width first then shape on the belt sander. You get a little nervous when the lure start bouncing around ang your fingers are 1cm from the blade!!😳
flyonline View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flyonline Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2017 at 8:11pm
Biggest tip from another relative novice is to use contour lines if you're going to carve by hand - possibly even by power as well. Just makes it so much easier to get everything consistent and mirror image as I really struggled till I started marking with a light pencil.

Nothing fancy, just hold the pencil and use my fingers as a depth gauge and mark both sides the same either for top/bottom view or side, just adjust depth to suit what you're after. I usually only do one or two times then sand to final shape.

Steve
Craft View Drop Down
Craft Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Craft Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2017 at 2:56pm
I cut the timber to the right thickness and cut the profile on a band saw (6mm blade) then carve the rest out with a Stanley knife. Then hand-sand it down to smooth from there. Haven't lost a finger in 35 years!
Roy
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic