LURELOVERS™ Australian Fishing Lure Community Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Lure Making > Make your own Fishing Lures > D.I.Y Moulded Lures
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Fantastic Mr Frog

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Fantastic Mr Frog
    Posted: 09 Nov 2010 at 12:48am
Hi,

WARNING: NOT FOR THE DIEHARD TIMBER FANS

Here are some pictures at my first attempt at making some lures out of polyurethane. I made a timber prototype, swim tested it and then made a mould out of RTV Silicone. Two part polyurethane is then mixed with a filler and poured into the mould. I really enjoy carving timber lures, but I am also enjoying playing around with polyurethane. It is very easy to adjust the bouyancy of these lures by varying the amount of filler so that they can either float, suspend or sink. These lures have a very strong wobble and although the hooks are close together they rarely get entangled while casting. I took these frog lures Toga fishing the other weekend and they did quite well. I got my inspiration for this design from the Jaysea Freddo.

Cheers
Adrian

Toga Fever
Nicho View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Nichos Maulers

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nicho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2010 at 5:58am
Awesome mate, you have done well, dont be embarrassed about having a go at making the poly, im sure its quicker, and a bit of skill involved working it all out.
The frogs look great mate, and will be winners for you for sure, you have come up with a great shape.

The only ones knocking you, would be guys who have never even had a go at making any type of lure, so I wouldnt be concerned, they are NICE!
Nichos Maulers Homemade timber lures....THEY CATCH FISH!

YA DONT KNOW...IF YA DONT GO...SO GET OUT THERE AND... FISH IT
darcymenchin View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
Mencho Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darcymenchin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2010 at 7:09am
Hi Adrian .
  Your frogs look the goods to me I  bet the fish think so also,
Regards Darcy.

amdoubleu View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amdoubleu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2010 at 7:28am
Wood, plastic, urethane, doesn't matter. You're "having a go" and I think most of us appreciate that . The Frogs look good, I know a few bass that would like them. The red and black one would double up as a large Ladybird beetle viewed from above. Like your work...ribbitt, ribbitt...

Alan
Screamingreel View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Screamingreel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2010 at 7:47am

Pilly .Very interesting .Do you put the polyurethane around the bib or add the bib later  The joining of the two materials looks great ,

Regards John
bassnbob View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
B.O.B Timber Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bassnbob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2010 at 8:33am
there cool pilly ya better stick em in a lilly pad pond pretty quick before they invade another state........WinkWinkClapClapClapLOLLOLLOL
wrapper View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Wrapper Baits

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wrapper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2010 at 10:21am
ClapClap they look pretty good to me mate , looking foward to giving them a swim ,think they will be 
Dine o  mite LOLLOL Wink
                       wrapper 
tooch View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
Twitchy Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tooch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2010 at 12:29pm
Well Done Adrian, I like them a lot..ClapClapClapClapClapClap..SmileSmileSmile...Pete.
I'd rather be fishing with

Tony View Drop Down
Admin
Admin
Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tony Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2010 at 12:40pm
Very cool Adrian, and fantastic to hear that they've allready accounted for some Toga! Clap

Cheers, Tony

For the love of Fishing Lures.
Pilly View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2010 at 8:07pm
Originally posted by Screamingreel Screamingreel wrote:

Pilly .Very interesting .Do you put the polyurethane around the bib or add the bib later  The joining of the two materials looks great ,

Regards John

Hi John,

The bib is incorporated into the mould and the poly is poured around it with this particular lure. I drill a hole in the bib to key it into the Polyurethane and also pass the hook wires through this bib hole. The lure would have to be destroyed for the bib or wires to pull out. I have also put a rattle in a couple of these lures and attached it to the hook wires so that it doesn't move whilst pouring the poly. The rattle sounds pretty good considering it is encapsulated within the polyurethane. I have since made a couple of more moulds of some different lures and sometimes I put a release agent onto the bib so that it can be removed and replaced with a different style/shape bib after the poly cures. This gives me the option of having the same lure diving to a different depth and having a slighty different action. I the glue the alternate bib into the poly with araldite and also pin it in place as extra security if I add the bib later.

Regards
Adrian
Toga Fever
Pilly View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2010 at 8:11pm
Originally posted by bassnbob bassnbob wrote:

there cool pilly ya better stick em in a lilly pad pond pretty quick before they invade another state........WinkWinkClapClapClapLOLLOLLOL

I think it is to late BOB having seen those toads that are coming out of Darcy's shed. They are extremely Horny to mate so they are going to breed like rabbits.LOLLOL

Adrian
Toga Fever
Screamingreel View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Screamingreel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2010 at 9:18am
Adrian
Thanks for explaining I did not realise that there was so much work in completing one lure '
From start to finish what would the approx time be required to complete a lure including the paint job as well.
regards John.
Abuadmiral View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
ABU Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Abuadmiral Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2010 at 9:34am
Hi Adrian
Lovely looking little frogs!
Great description of the process.
You seem to have it down pat. Lots of time taken.
Call or PM me if down Yeppoon way some time .
Must try to  get a 'toga out your way some time too. Maybe Jan in holidays
cheers
Wayne

Tight Lines
Wayne Real
jamiej View Drop Down
Unverified New Member
Unverified New Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jamiej Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2010 at 11:02am
Fantastic job.
What about the hook eyelet? Im guessing they are put in as part of the molding process not afterwards. Would love to give this a go 1 day.
Could you put a tow point in as part of the molding instead of attaching the line to the bib?
Google View Drop Down
Unverified New Member
Unverified New Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Google Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2010 at 7:58pm

How go do they LOOK!!!   I am of two minds as to the colour I should paint mine?  They are GOOOOD!!!

puglee62 View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Fugly Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote puglee62 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2010 at 8:25pm
you've done very well Pilly your lures look awesome mate!.
Pilly View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2010 at 8:34pm

Hi John - Never timed it mate but I reckon if you sat down and had everything ready you could make and finish one in well under an hour which allows time for the resin to set also. I usually cast 6 lures over a 2 hour period (you can usually demould this stuff within 20 minutes)and then I can clean them up, prime them and top coat. It is quicker doing it in a larger quantity like this. I am by no means an expert, just learning through trial and error and doing some research and testing. If you would like to know more mate send me a PM and we can get in touch or I am happy to try and answer any questions you post on the forum.

Hi Jamie - Yeah mate you put the hook eyelets into the mould and then cast them into the Poly. I have tried putting a tow point on the lure but I prefer the way it swims when it is towed from the bib. It is definately possible to include a tow point as part of the mould. You can put whatever you want in there mate.Smile

Regards
Adrian
Toga Fever
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic