LURELOVERS™ Australian Fishing Lure Community Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Fishing > Fishing Reports
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Fishing pay ponds in Vietnam

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote whipit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Fishing pay ponds in Vietnam
    Posted: 04 Jul 2017 at 10:56am
Found a fairly big pond as they call them here in a small town near the Cambodian border. Was the size of at least 3 football fields so i would call it a lake. Went on a monday morning and to my supprise no one there. Even more of a supprise he had a 3 new kayaks there. He had 3 ponds there and decided to go in the smaller one because i saw a few big fish coming to the surface.

This thing pulled like a freshwater GT. Had to get off the kayak and back on the side of the pond to land it. Hard work in the 34 degree heat but got my fishing fix.
whipit
MadDogLures View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Mad Dog Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MadDogLures Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jul 2017 at 11:06am
Bloody magic WhipitThumbs Up You need a beer after that 34 degree heatBeerLooks like a mulletLOL

Cheers,
Dave
Life is fishing!
whipit View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote whipit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jul 2017 at 11:59am
Mekong catfish Dave. Yes had some beers after that. Took me 15 minutes to land it and was a bit buggered as you can see by the wet shirt. That's sweat not water.
whipit
whipit View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote whipit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jul 2017 at 12:06pm

Snake head from a different pond in Ho Chi Minh
whipit
Ducks View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ducks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jul 2017 at 12:24pm
You got to sneak a couple in wherever you can.
Nice.
rally44 View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Lee's Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rally44 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jul 2017 at 5:19pm
Ah the Mekong Catfish that we know as Basa from Coles & Woolies. didn`t know they got that large! Cheers Richard.
Dads in the shed making saw-dust again.
whipit View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote whipit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jul 2017 at 7:16pm
Yeah Ducks I always give it a go where ever I am. Got to have cracked at getting some sort of new species to the list.
That's the one Richard. Have caught some bigger ones in Singapore and have eaten a few when over here. They do what they call caramelised fish. Put cutlets in a clay pot, make a caramel from sugar and water, a bit of fish sauce., spring onion and black pepper. And it's not too bad.
whipit
Nicho View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Nichos Maulers

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nicho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jul 2017 at 7:43pm
Awesome mate....as you say...another species..location ticked off.
Are they farmed in the pond?
Nichos Maulers Homemade timber lures....THEY CATCH FISH!

YA DONT KNOW...IF YA DONT GO...SO GET OUT THERE AND... FISH IT
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Mad Dog Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MadDogLures Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jul 2017 at 7:49pm
Like that snake head and looks like a mean buggerLOL

Cheers,Beer
Dave
Life is fishing!
whipit View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote whipit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jul 2017 at 9:44pm
Nico they are definitely farmed in all areas of Vietnam. Not it the fishing pond it's self. People will farm them in ponds and bring them to the fishing pond to sell to the owner. Usually the size when sold to the fishing park is a couple of kilos. They net them up and put into those big blue plastic 44 gallon drums..load the drums on a truck and bring them to the fishing park. Drums are full of water...transported to the park then emptied and slide all the fish in. The park owner pays the farmer per kilo. Fishermen come to the park and pay per hour to fish. If you catch one and want to take home you pay a per kilo rate to park owner. And the cycle goes around. That one I caught has been in there a while. Probably confused you with all that.
whipit
whipit View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote whipit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2017 at 6:52pm
A few more from this week..3 different ponds.

whipit
whipit View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote whipit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2017 at 6:54pm
Don't know why it turns most of the photos sideways. They are all up the right way before I put them on here..
whipit
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Mad Dog Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MadDogLures Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2017 at 7:49pm
G'day Whipit, That top fish what's the name? Great fishing mateThumbs Up

Cheer's 
Dave
Life is fishing!
Nicho View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Nichos Maulers

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nicho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2017 at 10:11pm
Your living the dream mate, interesting info re the ponds, good to see and learn the cycle, thanks for sharing your trip.
let me know when your home we will plan a day or two on the river.
Nichos Maulers Homemade timber lures....THEY CATCH FISH!

YA DONT KNOW...IF YA DONT GO...SO GET OUT THERE AND... FISH IT
whipit View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote whipit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2017 at 10:11pm
Hi Dave..It is some sort of carp. Vietnam name is Trăm Co...which translates to Grass Carp. I got a few of them that day. Very thick in the body and went fairly hard.

That's the bait and rig used. About half a meter under a float.
whipit
whipit View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote whipit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2017 at 10:13pm
Will do Nicho..hope all is well. Thanks mate.
whipit
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Mad Dog Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MadDogLures Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2017 at 8:34am
Grass carp very interesting Whipit and I am glad you are catching  some big ones. 
The rig is also amazing and I never seen a rig like that before Smile

Cheer's,
Dave
Life is fishing!
horrorhead View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLover of the Year 2020

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horrorhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2017 at 6:06pm
Big fish there Whipit, on Youtube those ponds look like a lot of funThumbs Up
Martin-

you don't havta be pretty to fish
Screamingreel View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Screamingreel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2017 at 9:53pm
Interesting rig and fishing report thanks Brad

With smaller hooks would it be legal for say garfish fishing in NSW.

Regards John
whipit View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote whipit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2017 at 12:34am
John... not to sure you could use it in NSW. Think there is a limit of 2 single hooks and 3 in ganged hooks.
Martin. .it's even better that you can sit there and drink beer and order all sorts of food. Great fun with a few people sitting around eating and drinking waiting for your rod to go off. Vietnamese are very similar to us..love a BBQ, beer and fishing.
whipit
puglee62 View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Fugly Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote puglee62 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2017 at 12:57pm
looks bloody awesome Brad we need more ponds like that hereCry
that's no how ye make porridge!
whipit View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote whipit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jul 2017 at 1:34am

Had to give it one more go before I left.

Some of them have a nice blue colour through the top. If you ever coming this way definitely bring something to fish with.
whipit
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Mad Dog Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MadDogLures Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jul 2017 at 8:13am
The top one whipit, looks like a nice size fish. Catch u when you get back homeThumbs Up

Cheers,
Dave
Life is fishing!
horrorhead View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLover of the Year 2020

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horrorhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jul 2017 at 3:50pm
Have spoken to a few that have fished the pay ponds in some of the Asian countries , and your posts confirm that if you can -  do itThumbs Up
Martin-

you don't havta be pretty to fish
Ducks View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ducks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2017 at 11:48am
Hey mate - my brother is headed to HCM city next week.
He's an enthusiastic (but lets say not quite crazily so like me) fisho especially when it comes to catching weird stuff.
Any details on any of the ponds around the city?  Or are they all quite out of the way?
Cheers
whipit View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote whipit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2017 at 1:11pm
Hi Ducks..sorry for the late reply. I destroyed another phone in the water and haven't looked here for a bit. I'm sure plenty of us have lost a few to the water. Think that's about 4 for me now. Most of the better ponds are out of the central area... out along the rivers to use the water to flush the ponds and keep some sort of decent water in them..if you could call it decent. Will try find you the address to a few and post back up tonight. Any idea which part of HCM your brother is staytng?
Cheers Brad
whipit
whipit View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote whipit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2017 at 2:12pm
This one is a little out of town but would only be a 30 minute taxi ride if you go at right time. It would be the best if he has wife or kids with him. It has covered shelters to fish from and can order beer and food to keep everyone happy.

https://goo.gl/maps/YVD7414wXK72
whipit
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic