LURELOVERS™ Australian Fishing Lure Community Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Lure Making > Make your own Fishing Lures
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Top Coat Help

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sudanraghu2210 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Top Coat Help
    Posted: 29 Jul 2017 at 5:19pm
Hi

I am in the process of completing another 3 lures, while doing top coating with envirotex lite I came across following problems not able to sort out.

How I did it ;

First I clean the lures with rubbing alcohol and put them on my drying wheel. Mixed resin & hardener thoroughly for 4 minutes before applying on the lure and start my drying wheel. After 15 minutes I use hair drier to blow away air bubbles if any. Kept the lures on drying wheel for 4-5 hours and then stop keeping the lures still on the drying wheel for curing.

The coat was uneven at all the places with small pots and lumps at few places. After 72 hours I sanded the lures lightly and tried putting thick coat and the end result top & sides of lures were nicely finished but the belly is in bad shape with pots at few places & lumps.

Here are the pictures :

Would appreciate if some one advise me where I went wrong and how to correct the belly coat now.

Thanks & Regards, Raghubir 

MadDogLures View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Mad Dog Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MadDogLures Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2017 at 3:29pm
G'day Raghubir, They look great mate.
I mixed the resin & hardener  well for 5 minutes and then leave standing  for 5 minutes. 
This gives the air bubbles time to settle, then I use a blow torch to get any air bubbles out, before I place  the envirotex lite on the lures.
I sometimes use a drinking straw to blow the bubbles away when they are drying on the rack.

I dip my lures into the envirotex and then put the lures on my drying rack for around 12 hours making sure they are touch dry at the end. 

With your uneven bottom make sure you don't touch your lures with your hands.

The skin also contains sebaceous glands, which produce oils.

Just sand the bottom and recoat itThumbs Up.

You probably get someone saying something different but this way I have no problems.

Cheers,
Dave
Life is fishing!
sudanraghu2210 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sudanraghu2210 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2017 at 8:55pm
Thanks Dave for your advise will follow and take extra care which I felt that I neglected while recoating the lures belly.

Just one more quirey, do I have to recoat the whole lure or only the affected part after doing light sandling .

Regards, Raghubir
bassnbob View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
B.O.B Timber Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bassnbob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2017 at 8:31am
DO the whole lure again use a straw like dave said the clear coat should self level so good luck with itTongueTongueTongueShockedregards bob
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Mad Dog Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MadDogLures Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2017 at 8:55am
Originally posted by bassnbob bassnbob wrote:

DO the whole lure again use a straw like dave said the clear coat should self level so good luck with itTongueTongueTongueShockedregards bob

Like BOB said do the whole lure again, use light grade sanding paper to sand the lure lightly, wipe the lure with a clean cloth and then do the whole lure again.

Cheers
Dave
Life is fishing!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sudanraghu2210 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2017 at 2:17pm
Good day Dave & Bob

Thanks I will give it a go tonight, will try to get good acidic brush today. I have been using normal brush so far and seems that may also have contributed to my problem.

Y'day night I was trying to figure out with very bright light to know what has happened to the belly coat. I found that epoxy stick to small small places all over the belly and leaving small gaps all over with epoxy though I coated completely and evenly.

Hope your experience will give life to my lures

Thanks & Regards, Raghubir
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Mad Dog Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MadDogLures Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2017 at 4:08pm
No worries Raghubir, Let us know how you go Thumbs Up

Cheers,
Dave
Life is fishing!
Nicho View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Nichos Maulers

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nicho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2017 at 6:15pm
Raghubir
Sometimes due to a flat or sharp surface the clear will pool and pull away from edges...like the bottom of your lures..they are quite flat / not rounded.

Also at times some paint brushes can contaminate the clear....leaving sections that seperate/ponding.
First thing id do is throw your brush away and try a new brand.

As for sanding between coats...be careful using sandpapers...some have silica in them...this causes another problem...same as you allready have.

Between coats try using a good quality steelwool...this will help give an even better finish once next coat is applied.
You dont have to sand back the lure to totally remove the dips/pools...the self levelling clear fills those in...you wont know they existed.
Jas
Nichos Maulers Homemade timber lures....THEY CATCH FISH!

YA DONT KNOW...IF YA DONT GO...SO GET OUT THERE AND... FISH IT

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sudanraghu2210 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2017 at 2:16am
Thanks jas for some useful tips.

Regards, Raghubir
beer-breath View Drop Down
Unverified New Member
Unverified New Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote beer-breath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2018 at 6:59am
they say humidity levels are important with e-tex.
I mix mine for maybe 1 minute, tops. then I use it immediately. mine is full of bubbles in the container I am brushing from, and I have never had bubbles in my lures, never had to blow on them or heat them. i'm usually in a rush during the e-tex phase, as I do too many lures at once. i'm guessing I must be fortunate with the humidity where I am, and maybe that is preventing any issues.
I had one batch that lumped like some of yours. part of the problem was a paint I used, e-tex didn't want to adhere to it. the other problem was in my turner, some of the lures got some slack and weren't rotating consistently.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic