LURELOVERS™ Australian Fishing Lure Community Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Australian Lures > NSW Lures > RMG
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Biggoon

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote justlooking Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Biggoon
    Posted: 12 Nov 2010 at 8:12pm
Found this one today. It is a fair chunk of timber for a medium sized lure.
Not sure how old, but is unused.

Go early - Stay late.
CaptainCranky View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Guide
LureLovers.com Guide
Beta Tester

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CaptainCranky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2010 at 5:04am
Very good pickup.Quite unusual colouration.
The Journey is the Reward

simon bruce View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Guide
LureLovers.com Guide

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote simon bruce Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2010 at 8:14am
I would guess that is a fairly early biggoon going by the flat sides and ridged bib also the paint work is a bit less refined.

A great pickup.

deceptiondude View Drop Down
Ex Member.
Ex Member.
Serial Troll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deceptiondude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2010 at 10:11am
must have been used a little becuase the front of the bib looks burred & paint is chipped off the bottom of the bib too.

a nice find!!
Tony View Drop Down
Admin
Admin
Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tony Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2010 at 3:09pm
A unique looking example there Brett, and in great condition for it's age Thumbs Up

Cheers, Tony

For the love of Fishing Lures.
matt fraser View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder

Barambah Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote matt fraser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2016 at 3:45pm
A bunch of Bigoons from the late 80s/very early 90s I believe

kayargh1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kayargh1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2016 at 5:50pm
Seeing the rainbow trout pattern bigoon reminded me that I lost my last one to a very large fish in 1995. I trailered my boat down from Sydney to Tasmania via the ferry to go after the sea run trout on the west coast. I drove through the Savage River silica mine down to the Pieman River at Corrina. In those days that was quite an isolated spot at the end of a single road. There were a few huts, compost loos but no power after 10.00 pm (they turned the generators off). There was an old ferry that ran between Corrina and the Pieman Heads a few miles downstream but it transported mainly surfers who literally surfed and camped their way down the coast to Zeehan. When we arrived I asked the fellow who looked after the cabins what lures they used for the sea run trout. He told me that the big sized tassie devils were all they used. I had a few tassie devils but I had a bunch of other lures that I preferred including a couple of aforementioned bigoons supplemented by some relik docs and other big trout pattern lures. Our boat had a sounder, we had a down rigger, lead lines and paravanes.  We went out on the river which was magic. The water was clear but tannin coloured. It was 50 feet plus about a rod length from the shore, the bank lined with really old growth trees including the odd Huon Pine. We were there in January, really too late for the whitebait runs but there were a few fish that came in on each new tide and a useful supply of large resident fish. We caught quite a few fish to around 10 pounds but lost the last bigoon to a fish I estimate was around the 15 pound mark. It was a real shark and the largest trout I have ever come close to. The funny thing was that when the people at Corinna asked me what we had caught the fish on I facetiously told them, "tassie devils mate just like you said". There must have been some loose talk in the local pub that night because the next morning when we went out we were shadowed by a boat overloaded with half a dozen blokes from the mine and fishing rods sticking out everywhere. It looked like the Ettamogah Pub on water. They got nothing but sunburnt while the RMGs continued to do the trick for us producing a few more fish to around 5 pounds. I could never quite understand why the moulded bigoons were so different to the original timber lures that had worked so well but I guess there was a reason. Thanks for posting. Regards, Ken.
horrorhead View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLover of the Year 2020

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horrorhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2016 at 6:30pm
Great story KenThumbs Up
Martin-

you don't havta be pretty to fish
matt fraser View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder

Barambah Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote matt fraser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2016 at 7:57pm
Wow great story alright! Its amazing how great fishing memories remain etched deeply in the memory bank.
I never knew the bigoons were great trout lures, they are fair chunks of timber, but big lures catch big fish!
Cheers,
Matt
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic