LURELOVERS™ Australian Fishing Lure Community Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Fishing > Fishing Reports
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Marlin on Stick Bait

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zads42 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Marlin on Stick Bait
    Posted: 30 Sep 2017 at 10:01pm
Well I got to try some of my lures out in Airlie the last couple of weeks. Last day fishing we came across some surface action and I tied on one of the Stick baits I had made (showed in earlier picture). We determined the fish were Mack Tuna and after 5 casts I had a hit and miss followed by another hit and hookup. Thinking I was on a Tuna the look on my face would have been priceless when a 5' Marlin starting leaping across the water. Amazement turned to concern when I thought about the rod I was using as it was a 3 piece Shimano Raider travel rod rated at 5-8 kg with a 4000 Stradic I have had for a few years. So the fight began. After the initial surface jumping the fish went deep and we didn't see it again for 50 minutes. Alas the fish was even more exhausted than me and couldn't be released. This fish was the first significant fish caught on a lure I had made and my first ever Marlin. To say I was excited with my catch would be an understatement but the most exciting part was knowing I caught it on a lure I had made.
Screamingreel View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Screamingreel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2017 at 10:30pm
Great result and and a big surprise ,one capture you will not forget.

Was it a through wire or screw in ,which ever method you used at least it held together.

thanks for the report

Regards John
Zads42 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zads42 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2017 at 10:31pm
Through wire
CaptainCranky View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Guide
LureLovers.com Guide
Beta Tester

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CaptainCranky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 2017 at 4:00am
well done.your first marlin is always very memorable and on a stickbait is a good effort.
The Journey is the Reward

mafled View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mafled Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 2017 at 9:31am
Fantastic, how good is that.
I bet that stick bait ends up on the wall.
Darren
No the other one
Zads42 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zads42 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 2017 at 9:40am
Yes Darren. Only got a few casts out of it and it is now retired
puglee62 View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Fugly Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote puglee62 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 2017 at 10:41am
well done mate that is awesome on one of your own luresClap
that's no how ye make porridge!
Kimo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kimo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 2017 at 5:33pm
Well done mate especially on your own stick bait. Those little ones are lively and put every thing into the fight, my first one when we lifted it into the boat lifted its head and thumped it down on the floor of the boat done the same with its tail once and never moved again it died right there.
You will never forget it and it will probably excite the hunger for another, now you realize the possibilities
Well done
Cheers Kimo
al49 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote al49 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 2017 at 6:44pm
brilliant catch on a home made .going to try with one of mine on one of our hervey bay marlin this year .your 4000 reel is perfect for those fish I use that size all the time as they aren't dirty fighters ,just great runs and jumps
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic