Forum Home Forum Home > Fishing > Fishing Reports
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Mapoon Sept 2017

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLover of the Year 2020

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote horrorhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Mapoon Sept 2017
    Posted: 07 Oct 2017 at 3:55pm
Well we did our (myself, my brother in law Wayne and Jungle Lures - Jim Lee)  trip to Mapoon this year. Things were a little different as we didn't go to our freshwater camp m. Time is a bit tight for me at the moment so I'll only give a quick run down and post some photos.

Weather was mainly good with a couple of windy days. We caught a variety of  fish - spanish and grey mackeral, barra- mainly small, queenfish small GTs and a few odds and ends.

One morning session saw mackeral everywhere and lure bite offs were common place for me as a mackeral tries to steal the lure away from another. I don't use wire when using big lures (only on metal slugs) as I find the strike rate is better and usually the long body is suffice to keep the teeth from the line.

Lures lost to mackeral - let's see if I can remember- a Gary Aker's AKLure, a Cam Culpitts Headland lure, another Headland Lure when my mackeral got sharked right beside the boat (impromptu shower for Jim and myself), a Kuttafurra 110 and one of Dave Pearce's minnows - sharked beneath the boat. I also had a split ring totally stretched on the belly hook of one of Ollie Hardt's Stingray minnows - that was a huge mackeral that caused a massive rooster tail off the line as it zinged through the water.

My best fish - 1.2 metre mackeral on a Mark A lure and another on a Fugly lure (forgot the name ATM but it's more of a cod or barra lure), 1.2 metre queenfish on a different Dave Pearce lure, a just legal barra on a David Pearce lure and another on a David Hill's Mad Dog barra lure (also got smashed a couple of times by mackeral).

We learnt from the locals that 4 groups of pro barra fishos had just left the area with their nets.

I know I had photos of a  northern bluefin tuna taken - just can't find them.

Now I am just waiting at the holiday house in Yepoon my mate from Wodonga has rented out.
Martin-

you don't havta be pretty to fish
horrorhead View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horrorhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2017 at 3:58pm
BANDICOOT - that's the name of the Fugly lure. Sorry Chris, couldn't find my Marty Minnows in all of the stuff I have moved to Cooktown. OH ANOTHER THING, my brother in law caught a 72 cm barra on a lead slug while casting for mackeral off the beach.
Martin-

hypnos View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hypnos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2017 at 4:33pm
well done H/H ... good job !!
cheers
bazz
a wife & a steady job are a handicap to the serious fisherman !!
Zads42 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zads42 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2017 at 10:11pm
Nice variety there
nymboy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nymboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2017 at 11:21pm
Great spot Mapoon. I love chasing the big queenies that patrol the drop offs close to the entrance. Got watch out for the mozzies they will pick you up and carry you away! Where do you stay whilst in Mapoon do you camp at the point or stay somewhere else. Cheers.
p.j. View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
P.J's Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote p.j. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2017 at 9:37am
Great report Martin.
Some Lure destroying teeth there. Am beginning to understand  why you Auissies are "consuming" so many Lures Wink

Knaek&Break
              Per
P.J. LURES
SO SMOKING HOT
EVEN CUSTOM DOGS LIKE THEM
TimmO View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TimmO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2017 at 9:58am
Great fishing, great part of the world. Us Qlders are a lucky bunch
Chep Buxley View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chep Buxley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2017 at 10:06am
One word..........magnificent!
Tony View Drop Down
Admin
Admin
Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tony Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2017 at 11:01am
Looks like a whole lot of fun being had! Cool

Cheers, Tony

For the love of Fishing Lures.
MadDogLures View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Mad Dog Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MadDogLures Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2017 at 6:39pm
Martin you look like a new Horrorhead Must be doing you good up there mate, great fishing and how is the lures holding up after being smashed a couple of times by mackeral.

Cheer's
Dave
Life is fishing!
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horrorhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2017 at 8:23pm
Originally posted by nymboy nymboy wrote:

Great spot Mapoon. I love chasing the big queenies that patrol the drop offs close to the entrance. Got watch out for the mozzies they will pick you up and carry you away! Where do you stay whilst in Mapoon do you camp at the point or stay somewhere else. Cheers.

We camp at Cullen Point, usually the mozzies and sandflies are very nasty but this year they we quite tame. I still had to have my shower, be in long pants with shioes and socks on before 5"30 pm otherwise The sandflies massacred my ankles. They didn't bother anybody else though.
Martin-

LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horrorhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2017 at 8:24pm
Originally posted by MadDogLures MadDogLures wrote:

Martin you look like a new Horrorhead Must be doing you good up there mate, great fishing and how is the lures holding up after being smashed a couple of times by mackeral.

Cheer's
Dave

That lure is still going strong, some nice teeth marks in it.
Martin-

Screamingreel View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Screamingreel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2017 at 8:38pm
Great report Martin  with interesting photos, Did you call into Pennyfather whilst in the area.

Regards John
Rocket*Surgeon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rocket*Surgeon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2017 at 10:39am
Looks like a great trip ...congratulations!
puglee62 View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Fugly Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote puglee62 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2017 at 4:04pm
good to see you getting into them Martin and your certainly looking happy and healthy.Thumbs Up
that's no how ye make porridge!
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horrorhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2017 at 9:53pm
Originally posted by Screamingreel Screamingreel wrote:

Great report Martin  with interesting photos, Did you call into Pennyfather whilst in the area.

Regards John

I have plans for visiting the Pennyfather John. I also haven't been to Stones Crossing yet which I also have wanted to do for the last 5 years.
Martin-

LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horrorhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2017 at 9:57pm
Originally posted by puglee62 puglee62 wrote:

good to see you getting into them Martin and your certainly looking happy and healthy.Thumbs Up

Feeling a lot less stressed ChrisThumbs Up. But I still have a few things to get done in Brisbane. I'll be back there over the week end. I'll message you later in the week about a catch up.
Martin-

Kimo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kimo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2017 at 9:48pm
What can be said other than Life is good
Great pics
Excellent description of the activities,Conditions, Wild Life (Sand Flies & Mozzies )
To loose so many great lures and still be able to smile for the pictures is testimonial to the enjoyment of being there.
Great stuff and thanks for sharing
Cheers Kimo
nymboy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nymboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2017 at 10:32pm
Martin, i have fished the Penefarther river yrs ago. Very popular spot with weipa locals gets very busy lots of camps set up and generators etc etc. I prefer Mapoon not so busy and better Fishing options there. Stones crossing is a good spot for Barra if you can time it right. I camp further up the Wenlock in the fresh and love walking the banks for toga, Barra and sooties, keeping an eye out for those toothy lizards!!! Cheers.
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horrorhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2017 at 1:25pm
Originally posted by nymboy nymboy wrote:

Martin, i have fished the Penefarther river yrs ago. Very popular spot with weipa locals gets very busy lots of camps set up and generators etc etc. I prefer Mapoon not so busy and better Fishing options there. Stones crossing is a good spot for Barra if you can time it right. I camp further up the Wenlock in the fresh and love walking the banks for toga, Barra and sooties, keeping an eye out for those toothy lizards!!! Cheers.

Yes we have a coup[le of fresh water camps to walk the river banks after the same - lots of fun.
Martin-

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic