LURELOVERS™ Australian Fishing Lure Community Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Lure Making > Make your own Fishing Lures
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

What timber is this

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Unverified New Member
Unverified New Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Justo102 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: What timber is this
    Posted: 07 Oct 2017 at 7:22pm
Hi guys first post on this forum. I need some help with timber identification
Cheers
Zads42 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zads42 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2017 at 10:08pm
Hi Justin. Bit hard to tell from that picture can you provide more description i.e. Hardness etc. could be cedar but may not. Sorry I'm not really helping you
Justo102 View Drop Down
Unverified New Member
Unverified New Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Justo102 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2017 at 12:38pm
I think its a softwood i can score it easily with my fingernail but not as easily as the western red cedar i have. It was part of an old door if that helps
horrorhead View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLover of the Year 2020

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horrorhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2017 at 8:27pm
I'm still thinking a cedar / pine or some sort. If it has been well seasoned, it may still be western red.
Martin-

you don't havta be pretty to fish
puglee62 View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Fugly Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote puglee62 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2017 at 11:33pm
looks like king billy pine
that's no how ye make porridge!
puglee62 View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Fugly Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote puglee62 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2017 at 11:35pm
puglee62 View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Fugly Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote puglee62 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2017 at 11:41pm
Originally posted by puglee62 puglee62 wrote:

https://picclick.com.au/Figured-KING-BILLY-PINE-Craft-Board-Chopping-162593133166.html#&gid=1&pid=1
king billy is nice and light,good to carve and great for lures.Ive carved it heaps of times.the pic you put up could also be a white cedar which is similar and not bad for luremaking but you should wear a dust mask when you sand it as the dust is nasty(all cedar dust is),you should probably wear a dust mask for any timber you sand actually LOL.I recon you've got king billy there though
Kimo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kimo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2017 at 11:47pm

When working I bought and worked with a reasonable amount of Western Red Cedar or at least that is what it was bought as.
The grain and colour seemed to be variable. In some instances it was red other it was more golden and this golden colour usually displayed the closer grain displayed on the sample you have pictured. Some of the red timber displayed knots whilst other pieces were without any blemish and with a wide but clear grain.
I have no knowledgeable explanation for the variations other than the theory that it depended on the section and age of the tree it had been taken from.
My option on your sample would be Western red Cedar .
Cheers Kimo
Kimo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kimo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2017 at 11:51pm
Sorry PS
There is also a great deal of difference in the appearance of the grain on the same piece if timber of the saw to when it is presenter in a planed all round state .
Cheers Kimo
MadDogLures View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Mad Dog Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MadDogLures Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2017 at 8:42am
I think it is Oregon timber.
Oregon is an exceptionally strong timber that is ideal for structural use. ... Oregon can also be used to manufacture window and door frames, mouldings, cabinets etc.

Cheers,
Dave
Life is fishing!
Blinky View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Blinky's Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blinky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2017 at 9:40am
Looks like it is WRC to me.
Blinky.

Blinky's Lures.
The lures that catch fish, not fishermen.........
Facebook
Kimo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kimo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2017 at 4:12pm
Hi Justo
If you can score it with your thumb nail its W Red Cedar
Cheers Kimo
puglee62 View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Fugly Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote puglee62 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2017 at 8:22pm
thinking about it if its an old door it probably is cedar Justo
Seaweed View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
née Capt.Seaweed

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Seaweed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2017 at 4:28pm
Good advice from Chris, use a mask, WRC especially nasty stuff.
Seaweed.
"Always Merry and Bright"
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Mad Dog Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MadDogLures Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2017 at 4:40pm

It's not cedar Mr.puglee, If it's cedar I shout you that jug of beer, you guys need to go to specsavers, if you are wrong I will have your new lure BOOTSTRAP MARTY lure and make sure it's green to stir up BAZZ

Cheer's
        Dave
Life is fishing!
al49 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote al49 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2017 at 6:23am
red ceder,king billy or oregan ,red cedar is the softest  I worked a lot with it in Tassie years ago ,oregan is brilliant to work with and as someone said really strong .
puglee62 View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Fugly Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote puglee62 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2017 at 7:06am
Originally posted by al49 al49 wrote:

,oregan is brilliant to work with and as someone said really strong .
Oregon is pretty strong,we used to use for bracing on formwork when i worked as a formsetter
puglee62 View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Fugly Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote puglee62 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2017 at 7:08am
Originally posted by MadDogLures MadDogLures wrote:

It's not cedar Mr.puglee, If it's cedar I shout you that jug of beer, you guys need to go to specsavers, if you are wrong I will have your new lure BOOTSTRAP MARTY lure and make sure it's green to stir up BAZZ

Cheer's
        Dave
i think you should just buy me a jug of beer anyway DaveBig smileThumbs Up
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Mad Dog Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MadDogLures Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2017 at 7:33am

Originally posted by MadDogLures MadDogLures wrote:

Cheer's
        Dave
i think you should just buy me a jug of beer anyway DaveBig smileThumbs Up

You are right Chris, instead of one jug, I shout you two jugs of beer
Life is fishing!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic