Forum Home Forum Home > The Lure Market > Classifieds > Other
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Authentic Zane Grey Signed Photo

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
née Capt.Seaweed

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Seaweed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Authentic Zane Grey Signed Photo
    Posted: 29 Oct 2017 at 3:02pm
I've shown this on FB already, expressions of interest from members here.
Trying to find an Aussie collector, (preferred) who's willing to add this to their collection.
I've just returned from visiting with my long time mate, who's now residing in Indonesia. One day we were looking through his late parents' photo albums and came across this, very rare personally signed photo of Zane Grey. My mate's family all haled from Bermagui, in fact his grandfather Jock Dinse skippered the Edith, who first caught marlin in 1931.
This picture dates to Dec.1935 when Grey fishing from his launch Avalon off Montague Is., captured of the then Australian and possibly World Record 480lb Black Marlin shown.
My friends mother as a 10yr. old, took this print up to his headland camp, where he graciously signed it for her. I can fill in any addition details if needed, call me on 0472669940.
Any interest appreciated, Regards Seaweed.

"Always Merry and Bright"
Chep Buxley View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chep Buxley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct 2017 at 4:16pm
That's pretty cool
Kimo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kimo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct 2017 at 5:55pm
Nice piece of Memorabilia
The gantree at Bermagui looks a bit different today.
I haven`t fished or been there since the mid \ late 90`s but for the years I did most of the prominent Business like the Hotel in the main street and there used to be a cook your own steak house called Arnolds all had similar type of pictures all around the walls some orrigional some prints.
Might be worth a few phone calls
I would be very surprised if they would not be interested or at least point you in the right direction
Cheers Kimo    
Seaweed View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
née Capt.Seaweed

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Seaweed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 2017 at 12:25pm
Thanks for your interest, looking for serious Zane Grey collectors.
That pub was O'Shea's, those pictures were mostly printed copies, this one genuine signed one.
Seaweed.
puglee62 View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Fugly Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote puglee62 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 2017 at 9:31pm
i'm sure theres a few game fishermen who'd love this on their wall,jeez i'd like it on my wall!Big smile
that's no how ye make porridge!
Kimo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kimo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Oct 2017 at 6:41am
Just a suggestion with the Bermagui Business`s and yes most of the pictures on their walls are prints which where made from originals. They are available on Ebay and a number of other places. They come in several sizes and as Puglee said are desired by many on man cave walls ect.
Perhaps a way to achieve your pictures true value is to enquirer with those producing the prints.
A straight sale with them or allow prints to be made from it with a royalty whilst still maintaining the original.
A great deal of art is marketed in this manner, in a lot of cases the revenue from the prints exceeds the value of the original.
Cheers Kimo    
Seaweed View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
née Capt.Seaweed

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Seaweed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Oct 2017 at 1:52pm
Thanks for your input on this Kimo, which Bermagui Business do you recommend I contact? The idea of yours for retaining the original, would be great if it could be arranged.
I've emailed a chap from the Zane Grey Museum in USA, awaiting reply. Have had no reply from IGFA Headquarters in Florida, which doesn't surprise me, heard they're up themselves.
Regards, Seaweed.
Kimo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kimo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Oct 2017 at 4:20pm
Hi Seaweed, gota call you seaweed because I don`t Know your name.
I an not to sure as to what reaction you will get in the US
I think he would be better recognized as a novelist who wrote paperback western books in the fifties & Sixties, these where popular in particular country remote stations here in Aus.
As a fisherman, (I could be very wrong here as I know little of his exploits in the US ) it is quite possible he was just one of many who liked to game fish.
I think his notariatry is greater represented in the Southern NSW area namely Bermagui for several reasons
1 He was a fast talking yank in an australian era where we looked up to these people.
2 He recognized the potential of Game Fishing in this area and played a great roll in promoting and teaching the arts off a sport we knew little of.
We (local Australians) I think knew the fish where there and we caught them but not in a game fishing manner.
Australians I believe caught them as food not sport
Zane Grey seen it as an untouched playground and promoted it as such to both Americans and Australians
The Fact that he was A Yank and a writer meant that the news reels and papers followed his Ausi exploits and made them all news, which all helped in his promotions with game fishing and writing.
I still think Prints Or Bermagui is ya best prices
I am away for a few days
I can make a few phone calls in regards to prints if you wish
Only my opinion KImo   

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic