LURELOVERS™ Australian Fishing Lure Community Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Lure Making > Soft Plastics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Finesse lures for fish

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote senkosam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Finesse lures for fish
    Posted: 15 Dec 2017 at 1:13pm
I've caught fish on almost every lure type invented over the last 40 years or more and know which are versatile or not. Like many on this site, lure crafters can't get innovation out of their system and continue to come up with new design or modifications of all ones. The challenge is on-going to test lures of yore as well as presentations thought out-of-date by current literature. But in the last eight years, I've become addicted to using small soft plastics and light jigs to catch most species and done very well.

Charlie Brewer pretty much started using the Slider on a light jig head and more recently another angler has used less than half a Senko rigged on a light jig to catch bass. My recent discoveries either modify lures or come up with a few not sold anywhere (and won't be unless someone copies those designs.) The soft plastic lures I fashion are used on unpainted, ball-head jigs 1/8 oz or less. I've caught fish in water 14' or less, but prefer using them in water less than 6'. Some anglers prefer lures that have far more action or flash for bass and I believe they do have a time an place. But for water conditions that change by the season if not by the week, I've found smaller lures with finesse action to be more effective. Granted, I catch more species in a wide size range and also lose some large fish when not paying attention, but overall really don't care as much about size as quantity and species variety.

One thing I've discovered for myself is that fish have amazing senses when it comes to feeling/seeing the slightest motion/action of a finesse lure, whether it be hair, feather or soft plastic. The Slider Worm was a big hit when Charlie Brewer advertised it in article after article in Fish Facts Magazine. He had the right idea, but after Mr Twister and Sassy Shad designs were heavily advertised, few finesse soft plastics wowed the public. I've been fortunate in having discovered by accident finesse designs that do better than any other on average than much larger offering used at faster presentations. Must be the senior citizen in me that wants to slow down but still catch more.

Granted, the lures below don't look like much, but I love to catch fish on them knowing I can in all water temperatures or weather conditions. Cat over 6 lbs; one of five!

Variations on a theme:

Using what I already own - though differently:

Right from the mold (made weedless):

I've always heard that slower is better when it comes to presentation and especially for most fish that suspend 95% of the time. Fish activity levels are hard to prove unless schoolies attack one after the other. Pattern to me is all about location which includes depth, bottom type, shore type, weeds or no weeds any other thing that defines an area different than any other. As I get to know the local river and lakes, I've become more in tune with the various locations unique in some way. But all in all, I use the same finesse lure to catch whatever species happens to be around - even those directly beneath the transducer in 4'!

Now I would never ever suggest a particular presentation using certain lures is far better than the many that have proven effective, but as for myself, I just can't seem to want to go back to using larger baits or faster moving lures except when fishing weedy areas containing bass or when the tide is going out fast. But having observed the unique actions of each design still allows for variety - and for me, a far better chance of catching more fish and more fish species. Charlie was on to something and proved it by the stringers he photographed long before c & r was stressed by BASS. 

To each his own ....
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic