LURELOVERS™ Australian Fishing Lure Community Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Lure Making > Make your own Fishing Lures > Lures you have made
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Few from holidays

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Unverified New Member
Unverified New Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote unicorn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Few from holidays
    Posted: 02 Jan 2018 at 7:19pm
Hi spent my spare time over Christmas break trying to produce few timber barra lures , made out cedar painted with cans top coat Etix lite. The bigger ones have pieces of metal installed in the hope of creating a big suspender (trying mimic boney bream ) did not work out that way , bit more weight needed next time for a slow riser 🙂

Cheers curt

Nicho View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Nichos Maulers

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nicho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan 2018 at 7:42pm
Good colors...good shapes...get them wet so we can see some fish photos
Nichos Maulers Homemade timber lures....THEY CATCH FISH!

YA DONT KNOW...IF YA DONT GO...SO GET OUT THERE AND... FISH IT
Danny View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Danny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan 2018 at 7:52pm
Great work curt. I garrentee they will be fish catches.
Dan
horrorhead View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLover of the Year 2020

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horrorhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan 2018 at 8:42pm
Originally posted by Nicho Nicho wrote:

Good colors...good shapes...get them wet so we can see some fish photos

And I bet there will be lots of fish caught on them as well - well done CurtClapClapClap
Martin-

you don't havta be pretty to fish
hypnos View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hypnos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2018 at 6:32am
nice lures - good work - luv the green one !!!
cheers
bazz
a wife & a steady job are a handicap to the serious fisherman !!
unicorn View Drop Down
Unverified New Member
Unverified New Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote unicorn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 2018 at 9:38pm
hi been giving lures good bashing last couple months , sum success failures and fine tuning required. Biggest issue is buoyancy , fare to much for barra lures tried biggest hook split ring I can fit on them still no joy. Got new batch going at the moment , iv inserted sum lead in them before painting process , fingers crossed I can get bit more of a slow rise out them. Bloody addictive past time , nearly ass addictive as fishing

cheers curt

[IMG]
Danny View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Danny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 2018 at 11:06pm
Hey Curt,
Oh yeah, bloody addictive. Nice catches there mate.
I was able to adjust the rate at which my 80 and 110mm lures floated by running heavier hooks and split rings as you’ve tried, but when it came to my largest Barra lure I had to also add lead, simply because it was a fair lump of wood to get under the water. It’s a bit more mucking around but you’ll be happy when you get it just right.

Dan
Dan
Chep Buxley View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chep Buxley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2018 at 5:45am
Well done Mate!!!!!!!!!!!
Ducks View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ducks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2018 at 6:33am
I find these handy for slowing the rise of timber lures when heavy hooks and doubled rings hasn't helped.

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com.au%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F300745292487
beer-breath View Drop Down
Unverified New Member
Unverified New Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote beer-breath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2018 at 7:23am
what broke that green lure?
was it a fish or a snag?
and what failed do you think? although, it doesn't really look like anything did, the eye seems to have held with the glue. it looks like sheer force tore it apart.
unicorn View Drop Down
Unverified New Member
Unverified New Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote unicorn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2018 at 7:56am
Originally posted by beer-breath beer-breath wrote:

what broke that green lure?
was it a fish or a snag?
and what failed do you think? although, it doesn't really look like anything did, the eye seems to have held with the glue. it looks like sheer force tore it apart.

na was big catfish I landed it on front treble , from memory both hooks where working against each other opposite directions when fish open and shut its gob and just split timber . Strong jaws
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horrorhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2018 at 8:11pm
Great going on your own lures - fantastic.

Many people don't realise how much power big fish can have in their jaws when the fish has one treble in the upper jaw and the other treble in the lower jaws. Not many lures can compete with that. Apart from going full 2 mm stainless steel wire, I don't know how you can avoid that from time to time. I've even see 2mm SS wire fail in lures under these circumstances.
Martin-

Danny View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Danny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2018 at 8:14pm
I reckon the cedar would have contributed its far share to the failure also. Me thinks something like beech may not have failed.

Dan
Dan
Danny View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Danny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2018 at 8:16pm
I had a big barra bite down on my thumb/hand one time. Amazing the power in that mouth.
Dan
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horrorhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2018 at 9:33pm
Originally posted by Danny Danny wrote:

I had a big barra bite down on my thumb/hand one time. Amazing the power in that mouth.

Yep, I've had a "fillet" of timber taken off the side of a lure by what I was told would have been a jewfish - amazing.
Martin-

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic