LURELOVERS™ Australian Fishing Lure Community Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Lure Making > Make your own Fishing Lures > Lures you have made
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Second batch of lures

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Unverified New Member
Unverified New Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Limber-timber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Second batch of lures
    Posted: 23 Jan 2018 at 10:09am
Been a few months since I posted up my first attempt at some timber lures.
After shaping them in the back of the landcruiser whilst traveling the bottom end I’ve finally been settled for the last few weeks and had the time and space to give it a proper crack. Still struggling with getting the topcoat to finish level and settle evenly on the top edges (unsure if my rotisserie is too fast or not fast enough?) I have been using ‘Feast Watson Glass Finish’ as it’s readily available here in Tasmania. Am heading back West for a week tho so have some Etex on the way and hope this will solve the problem. The new lures have been shaped out of Tassie Oak as I wasn’t happy with how the Meranti sanded up.
horrorhead View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLover of the Year 2020

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horrorhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2018 at 1:14pm
HMMM, I cut, molded and used meranti a lot in the timber mill and making outdoor furniture - always came up good. But you have to find what is good for you and your processes and if meranti doesn't do it for you, then it's good that you have found a better timber to work withClap
Martin-

you don't havta be pretty to fish
Limber-timber View Drop Down
Unverified New Member
Unverified New Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Limber-timber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2018 at 8:07pm
The Meranti was lovely to work with especially carving by hand.
The oak requires a different more time consuming shaping process but I fell the durability of it compared to the Meranti will be much better.
Meranti is great for furniture and external use, I still use it for door jamb’s back home and the odd exposed beam.
Chep Buxley View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chep Buxley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2018 at 5:43am
Look great!
hazmail View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Rayna Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hazmail Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2018 at 5:10pm
Looking good Jake- I would have thought ''Tassie Oak '' would have been too heavy, but if they swim you're laughing.
Finish is always a pain, no topcoat is perfect---they won't stick, flow or gloss up--are too brittle or it cracks in the sun or on a rock-- or too soft and just falls off  Confused.
Pete
   'RAYNA' ---Free Range Lures
peterayn@yahoo.com.au
Big-Pete View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big-Pete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2018 at 6:45pm
Love your style, so many finishes and as Pete says its hard to find the perfect one. Keep up the good work.

Big-Pete
TimmO View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TimmO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2018 at 7:42pm
They look great. Love the colour scheme. Very natural like a pilchard
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic