LURELOVERS™ Australian Fishing Lure Community Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Lure Making > Make your own Fishing Lures
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

pre top coat cleaning

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Unverified New Member
Unverified New Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stickleback Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: pre top coat cleaning
    Posted: 01 Mar 2018 at 10:02pm
Hi guys

I'm busy with a wood lure build - all turned,sealed and painted with wicked airbrush paints & ready for epoxy top coat (I'll be using smooth-on tarbender, a similar product to etex - it's all we can get in South Africa) On closer inspection, I noticed some of the lures have very faint residue marks from where I'd been masking. The createx wicked application guide for cleaning says wipe down with odorless mineral spirits - have any of you guys tried this, or do you clean with something else?
My gut feel is that mineral spirits is oily and will effect the adhesion of the epoxy - I really want to avoid a repaint if possible, any help will be appreciated!
beer-breath View Drop Down
Unverified New Member
Unverified New Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote beer-breath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2018 at 4:27am
I've never done any pre-cleaning personally. I just try to avoid touching the lures completely during and after the painting process. but I know I have touched the odd one and there have been one or two where the clear-coat has avoided those spots.
I have always been "scared" to do anything to my paintjobs, worried about possibly wrecking them by attempting a "clean". I use createx wicked paints and faskolor paints and some spraypaints. maybe I will try doing a wipe-down clean on them prior to painting from now on. i'll follow this thread and learn some.
puglee62 View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Fugly Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote puglee62 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2018 at 7:47pm
i use methylated spirits to remove sticky stuff left over from masking but i use auto paints (acrylic lacquer and two-pac),no problems with the clear sticking. not sure how it would go on the water based paint but you could spray a bit on a scrap bit of wood and give it a wipe see how you goThumbs Up
that's no how ye make porridge!
stickleback View Drop Down
Unverified New Member
Unverified New Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stickleback Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 2018 at 11:04pm
Thanks mate - I'm busy prepping test panels for experimenting with various solvents/cleaning agents - I'll post results when done
Unverified New Member
Unverified New Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stickleback Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2018 at 9:31pm
Quick light wipe with mineral spirits & then warm water works fine if anyone needs to know in the future 
Danny View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Danny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2018 at 10:15pm
Just double checking, that was straight over wicked paints and before clear coating?

Dan
Dan
Unverified New Member
Unverified New Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote beer-breath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 2018 at 4:06am
what surfaces have people found that e-tex(for example) doesn't want to adhere to? I have used it to coat a part of a deer antler, worked great. I know it's used for lots of hobbies too. I've done rocks. really, the only thing I have found, myself, that it rejected, was a specific spraypaint. I believe it was manifold spraypaint, chrome. I think it's an enamel. it wanted nothing to do with it.
hazmail View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Rayna Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hazmail Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 2018 at 2:06pm
Shellite is pretty good with w/based paints, metho (or alcohol ) and lacquer thinners are "strippers''.
Pete
   'RAYNA' ---Free Range Lures
peterayn@yahoo.com.au
Blinky View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Blinky's Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blinky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 2018 at 2:32pm
Ardrox Pre-Cleaner works a treat, fast evaporation too. It’s an NDT product, available at most welding supplier shops.
Blinky.

Blinky's Lures.
The lures that catch fish, not fishermen.........
Facebook
Unverified New Member
Unverified New Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stickleback Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 2018 at 4:02pm
Originally posted by Danny Danny wrote:

Just double checking, that was straight over wicked paints and before clear coating?

Dan

That's correct Dan
Unverified New Member
Unverified New Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote beer-breath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2018 at 11:23am
someone mentioned "denatured alcohol" I had read somewhere. is that the same as isopropyl alcohol?
Unverified New Member
Unverified New Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stickleback Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2018 at 4:23pm
NO! Denatured alcohol is methylated spirits & isopropyl alcohol is rubbing alcohol - there are lot of names for these products and they vary from country to country - the names I have given apply to South Africa, you will have to double check what they are called in your country - it can really get confusing & is a real PITA!
Unverified New Member
Unverified New Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote beer-breath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2018 at 5:10pm
well, apparently denatured alcohol is ethanol. and some call it "marine alcohol". it's pretty much impossible to find it appears. the info I found was some guys talking about fuel for little stoves they use when cycling. some of them also suggest methyl hydrate, Bio-Flame, and some other things. but these are being used as "fuels", so maybe they are not the same?? BioFlame is 95% ethanol 5% Propanol. and I know methyl hydrate is 100% methanol, which denatured alcohol is about 10% methanol and 90% ethanol. I will have to find out if these others will do the same thing. more important, is that they don't react with the paint/clear.
this may be a stupid question, but, what about brake cleaner? it instantly gets rid of any oils and grease and dries real fast. again, it may have other things in it though that may be bad.
wow, I didn't think denatured alcohol would be so difficult to find.
Blinky View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Blinky's Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blinky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2018 at 3:26pm
Denatured alcohol is methylated spirits......
Blinky.

Blinky's Lures.
The lures that catch fish, not fishermen.........
Facebook
hazmail View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Rayna Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote hazmail Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2018 at 7:48pm
Brake cleaner'' is alcohol'(100% alcohol) you don't need any water vapor in your hydraulics (brakes)
, BUT you can get away with Methylated spirit or denatured alcohol (95% alcohol- 5%water- variable)
as a cleaner as long as you let the water dry out--
For lures, Methylated spirit OR alcohol will strip water based paints, so if you are using W/B paint use "Shellite" OR maybe white spirit.
OR just buy some cleaners/ strippers,,, sacrifice a bit of wood and some paint and try it??
FFFFAAAAAAK, it's been 20 days, you could have used detergent and water, it would be dry by now..
Pete
   'RAYNA' ---Free Range Lures
peterayn@yahoo.com.au
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic