LURELOVERS™ Australian Fishing Lure Community Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Lure Making > Make your own Fishing Lures > Questions and Tips re carving your own fishing lures
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

cutting your bib slot

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote al49 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: cutting your bib slot
    Posted: 27 Apr 2018 at 12:57pm
hi all , i have been looking thru all the old threads on how to cut a nice neat bib slot/correct angle  in our lures ,cant find one can anyone put me onto a thread or just give me some tips on getting that acurate cut .i use a scroll saw now but its a bit hit and miss on thickness and bib angle doesnt always get exact each time 
it a lot better world if you just smile
Blinky View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Blinky's Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Blinky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2018 at 2:25pm
I find the easiest way to get your bib slot nice and square is to mark up and cut while the lure is still in block form.
I use a bandsaw to make the initial cut then a double thickness blade on the scroll saw to widen.
Blinky.

Blinky's Lures.
The lures that catch fish, not fishermen.........
Facebook
al49 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote al49 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2018 at 5:25pm
Originally posted by Blinky Blinky wrote:

I find the easiest way to get your bib slot nice and square is to mark up and cut while the lure is still in block form.
I use a bandsaw to make the initial cut then a double thickness blade on the scroll saw to widen.
thank mate ,i havnt got a band saw ,i do cut them in square form though but the scroll as you would know doesnt hold a tight blade and moves around a bit ,causing it to go a bit lopsided at times .i thought jigsaw but holding the lure so small tight to stop it jumping up the blade is the prob there 
rally44 View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Lee's Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote rally44 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2018 at 5:30pm
Hi Al, Band saw is best. Check your local area for a "Mens Shed". These guys would be happy to help I`m sure. Cheers Richard.
Dads in the shed making saw-dust again.
al49 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote al49 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2018 at 10:13am
Originally posted by rally44 rally44 wrote:

Hi Al, Band saw is best. Check your local area for a "Mens Shed". These guys would be happy to help I`m sure. Cheers Richard.
thanks richard ,i have one just around corner didnt think of them cheers 
Kunde View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Kunde Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2018 at 7:09pm
I picked up a little bandsaw secondhand for $50 bucks that does the job nicely. Just look on gumtree.
Powelly View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Powell Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Powelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2018 at 7:20am
It's very important that both sides of your timber are parallel. Put the timber through a thicknesser. 

Also important is the cut being perpendicular to the flat sides of the lure. This is why a well set up bandsaw is best. Make sure the blade is 90 degrees to the saw table.

There is greater chance of the bib slot being perpendicular to the sides if you cut them before cutting out the lure. Too much room for error if you try to cut bibs in single lures.

This article may help.  http://www.fishingmonthly.com.au/files/2011LureMakingFeature.pdf

Travers
al49 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote al49 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2018 at 7:53am
thanks heaps travers ,that will make it a lot easier to cut them being in large sheet form cheers AL
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic