LURELOVERS™ Australian Fishing Lure Community Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Fishing Tackle > General Tackle Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Reel Wizards Help Needed.

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Screamingreel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Reel Wizards Help Needed.
    Posted: 31 May 2018 at 10:22pm
The last few months I have been playing about with some light gear , ultra light rods and very  very light lures. Finding my fish in around a foot  or so of dirty water.

My main problem is that the braid 8lb and now the 6lb mono gets caught under the brake cap in front of the reel.
Shatters the trip,undoing it and  can waste 12 ,15 minutes unpicking it

Now have spare spools made up and they can be helpful, but if  a fish is in the area it is long gone by the time I re rig what ever the  method I use.

Today in desperation tried rubber bands they did not hold. Gave up on them quickly before I started fishing.

Spotted the sticky tape and tried two pieces either side of each other on front of the cap.

Worked perfectly  no line problems.

Medium wind blowing  not an issue, worked perfectly, tried to play a fish that took the lure very close in to the shore , he was swimming around me  and my waders,   (56  to 58cm poor nick) unfortunately the brake  locked up due to the tape, I think, and  busted me off.

Does the cap tighten up under pressure as before i placed the tape on it was ideal, reasonably free as it should be. The cap does not seem to change its position .

Only second time i have lost a fish and lure at the Lake in four years.

Any thoughts from you reel wizards.

Solved my line problem but unfortunately appears I have created another.

Have traveled  with two spinning rods in the past ,one as a back up as I could be 2-3 klms from car

Now that it is so muddy  I am  carrying a snow pole to help in the conditions.
Thanks

Regards John

Fysshe Salmon View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
Fysshe Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fysshe Salmon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2018 at 11:37pm
John, I must have made umpteen casts over the years using very light lines and have never had line get caught under the spool drag knob! However, I have a habit of manually closing the bail arm and checking that the line is on the spool nicely before retrieving. Once, I had the line get caught under the line retaining tab on the side of the spool. (yesterday) I think the tape on the spool may have prevented it from slipping and caused the bust off.
Fysshe
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
Fysshe Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fysshe Salmon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2018 at 11:47pm
Most modern spinning reels have a double lip arrangement that should prevent line from slipping under the knob.

Fysshe
Ducks View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ducks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 2018 at 2:43pm
Ditto. Coming up on a couple of decades of 6lb braid use on small spinning reels and can't say I can recall ever hearing of a similar trouble.
Werriscreekwonda View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder

Woods Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Werriscreekwonda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 2018 at 6:49pm
Older eggbeather style reels...particularly with a push button pop off spool could have trouble like this.
As the bailarm flipped the line caught on the button and then wrapped itself in a neat knotty bundle.
Never seen the problem on newer reels.

I wonder if your drag knob is sitting too high for some reason?
OCD View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
OCD Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OCD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 2018 at 9:47am
John, I would check to see that there isn't an extra plastic, fibre or metal spacer in the drag washer system, sounds like the drag knob is sitting up too high as others have mentioned. Some reels have extra spacers at the bottom off the drag assembly, you may be able to remove one. I am no reel expert though, so just a thought.
Cheers,

Gavin
reel deal View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reel deal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 2018 at 1:09pm
Hi John...

I find the braided lines freeze up the arctic conditions so I stick to mono especially glo balling.

Also use a few drops of hi vis nail polish to secure the spool in place. Easily removed with "her" remover or acetone on a cotton bud.

I agree - maybe too many washers under the spool...

Also I thought I saw you in your boat the other day ????

wadey
www.reeldealfishing.com.au
Screamingreel View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Screamingreel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 2018 at 11:36pm
Thanks everyone.

Tried a few things, managed only one cock up yesterday, Cut ,re-thread and continued on my way.

Today got through the arvo without any problems but no strong winds blowing.

I will place some photos up of the spool  if the sun comes out tomorrow.

The drag Knob  is high, possibly a reel flaw.

The problem is compounded when I cast into the very strong winds , shutting off the bail a little early when possible has helped lately, sometimes you miss calculate when the rain builds up on your glasses  and you are sinking in the mud. ( Yabby holes collapse).

Wadey     Now I thought I was fairly keen,  but that beats my efforts.

I outstay  anyone else in my area. locals and visitors alike.

Regards John

CaptainCranky View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Guide
LureLovers.com Guide
Beta Tester

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CaptainCranky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 2018 at 7:35am
Only just seen this thread John.
I must be blind .I have not seen a thread anywhere here as to the exact reel you are using.
If it is something like a little Mitchell Prince early Shakespeare,Daiwa,Alcedo reel you may well have issues particularly if you wind the handle to get the Bail over.
Ian's comment on manually closing  the bail should be highly adhered to as it does prevent a few issues from eventuating and also lifting the rod slightly just before retrieve takes slack out of the line which in turn helps with unnecessary tangles.
Light line and lots of wind do not go together very well and particularly with casting into the wind where line can be blown back towards the reel.
Please indicate the reel you are using and maybe this will lead to pinpointing the rather annoying problem you face.
The Journey is the Reward

LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Screamingreel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 2018 at 10:03am
Sorry for the slowness in getting some photos up of the reel ,needed my son to give me guidance,
to take off the computer this morning.

The Melba 1000 is only 4 grams lighter (97 grams) than Melba 2000 (201) grams.
and there is a pronounced difference in the design of the brake cap.

Also I noticed that they refer to the Melba 11 having  a  new design.

Model 2000  A broader flatter brake cap will switch over to this model and see if there is any noticeable difference in performance with ( 4 grams difference in weight)

Quite high and proud and the design I have on my current 1000 model which I have recently experienced the problems in the strong winds.

I will try and add a picture of the two reel I have in the sun this morning and add later today.

LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Screamingreel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 2018 at 3:18pm
Forget about the sun, another cloudy day.

A couple of spares. One 1000 on rod   with the problem and several 3000 back up which are a bit heavier.

Put a bit of sticky tape either side of the spool but it prevented the line from running under tension "Froze" 

BUT did stop the line from getting caught.

Just created another problem

Reel bottom left with the 6lb has the problem in the wind

Ducks View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ducks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 2018 at 3:36pm
I don't know those particular reels. Looking at those pics, those drag knobs sit very high, so it's not surprising having seen it now that fine diameter lines are getting caught in there.
I don't think any of my drag knob/caps would sit above the rim off the spool like that.  Certainly none of them sit with the bottom of the cap above or in line with the spool lip.
(Is the drag even engaged with it sitting that high?  Can you screw it down a few mm with minimal impact on the actual drag output?)
I haven't got any ideas to solve it off the top of my head.  I'll have a tinker and a think about it though.

LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
Fysshe Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fysshe Salmon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 2018 at 8:10pm
The spool is sitting too low on the shaft! There needs to be a 2mm shim under the spool beneath the rear drag washer and 2mm removed from the front drag pack, if possible. That will make the spool sit 2mm higher and the drag knob lower by the same amount... Has the drag assembly been removed for servicing?
Fysshe
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Screamingreel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 2018 at 5:00am
Thanks Ducks, Ian  and Captain.

Ian I think the 6 lb thinner line might not be helping my  situation I have not had the same problem using the slightly larger reels and 8lb.

Have been snapping the bail down as suggested and only had one minor glitch, easily repaired.

I have two exceptional retired Patent makers in the area, and when I hand them a copy of Ian's thoughts and the reel ,they maybe able to do something for me.

To be fair the wind strength has dropped off dramatically, so recent trips are not a true indication of the  strong winds I would normally fish in, but they must be just around the corner.

Very very mild dry winter so far.

Regards John

Werriscreekwonda View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder

Woods Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Werriscreekwonda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 2018 at 9:46pm
Looking at the pics there is too much shoulder on the drag knob for the line to catch...
It would suprise you how little it takes.
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Screamingreel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2018 at 6:54pm
John  

Did you tie off the anchor rope.

Yes Dad.I think I did.

Anchor away.

AWE      Sh......t

Does this bring back memories.

Located today

Regards John

((((Note lack of foot traffic.)))))

horrorhead View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLover of the Year 2020

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horrorhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2018 at 8:13pm
HA HA HA - almost happened to me and my dad with a hire boat many many years ago
Martin-

you don't havta be pretty to fish
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic