LURELOVERS™ Australian Fishing Lure Community Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Lure Making > Make your own Fishing Lures
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Timber Identification

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sudanraghu2210 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Timber Identification
    Posted: 03 Oct 2018 at 1:39pm
Hi

Good morning !!

Y’day I happened to be in DAISO store in Dubai and found one timber which physically look more like balsa and is very cheap compared to balsa. It cost me USD 2.86/- for the size 450 x 250 x 9mm. Any one can assists me for identification of this timber and how good it is for making lures, details as follows:

Name:paulownia
Country of origin: China

Thanks, Raghubir
horrorhead View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLover of the Year 2020

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horrorhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 2018 at 8:48pm
Paulownia is a fast growing tree that is grown in plantations in China and plantations have been planted in Australia. It is supposed to be light but strong. I have heard that a few lure makers use or have used this but I don't know to what success.

If you enter Paulownia in the search function any posts on it will come up.
Martin-

you don't havta be pretty to fish
sudanraghu2210 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sudanraghu2210 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 2018 at 9:32pm
Good evening

Thanks Martin for the information, I did google search and found that it has characteristics of balsa. The advantage I have is it’s cheap compare balsa and is available.

True, will make some lures on trail basis to check how it goes.

Regards, Raghubir

MadDogLures View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Mad Dog Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MadDogLures Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2018 at 2:37pm
G'day Raghubir, You will be alright making fishing lures out of it and they do make surfboards out of it.

Cheers,
Dave
Life is fishing!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sudanraghu2210 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2018 at 2:22am
Hi

Dave, good morning!!

Yes, I did a good study on internet last night after Martin feedback. It’s being used for surfboards and so many other DIY projects. For me it was a great surprise, actually I went to buy pool noddles from DAISO and found this timber available in large quantity. Thought that it was balsa but after seeing the price I check with the store they said it’s Paulownia. Physically it looks like balsa color and light weight. Could find some of lures hand made in Japan with this timber.

I will give it a go and if that works nothing like it for me.

Thanks buddy 😊

Regards, Raghubir

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sudanraghu2210 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2018 at 8:04pm
Hi

Good Evening,

I started working on Paulownia timber, template layout on the wood. The thickness of the timber is  9 mm so 2 cutout glue together , shaped, lay through wire & weight.

Tested at home in my bath tub, here is the link :

https://youtu.be/5WgnnpBkqqg

Length: 85 mm

Weight: 21 gm (lure body:6gm, lead-6 gm & 4 gm front & rarer of belly eye, 1gm – square bib, 4gm – through wire + 2 split ring & 2 hocks)

Action: Deep diver & slow sinking, sit head down in water, side to side action both at front & rarer.

It was my first experience of making lure in this way which I feels requires lot of precision work – dimension, matching of 2 half, groove for weight and through wiring etc.

Seniors,  please give your views & suggestions / advice for any other best way for speed up for making lures with soft timber. I initially made 2 lures but the bib slot got broken while shaping  and this is 3rd one.

Thanks, Regards

Raghubir

horrorhead View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLover of the Year 2020

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horrorhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2018 at 2:36pm
WOW that looks good and a nice action too
Martin-

you don't havta be pretty to fish
Barndog View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barndog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2018 at 3:31pm
Agreed Martin, very subtle action. Like it Clap
Lambig56 View Drop Down
Beginner Member
Beginner Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lambig56 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar 2019 at 8:11pm
Hey, did you try more of this wood?
I find a lot of wood with these dimensions, is it common to glue pieces together in the timber lure making? how does it compare to single piece of wood? Thanks guys :)
puglee62 View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Fugly Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote puglee62 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 2019 at 8:35am
just saw this again Raghubir that certainly is a nicely made lureThumbs Up
that's no how ye make porridge!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sudanraghu2210 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 2019 at 2:56pm
Hi Chris !!

Good morning,

Thanks for your views, I am yet complete color and final coat of etex. In fact I wanted to donate few of these lures after finish to LL for the exhibition 2019. Unfortunately struggling to survive on my job and focusing on new job or immigration to other country.

Once again thanks for your views and missing you all very much😞

Regards, Raghubir
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic