LURELOVERS™ Australian Fishing Lure Community Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Fishing Tackle > Vintage and Collectible
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Questions re: Inherited Alvey's and others

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ces Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Questions re: Inherited Alvey's and others
    Posted: 22 Jan 2019 at 3:42pm
Hey guys,

So I have inherited a few older Alvey reels (and one other brand), as well as a bunch of pre-graphite rods from a family friend. Her husband was a keen rock fisherman around the Sydney area and an all over good bloke.

I don't really know what I'm looking at, so I was hoping I might get some advice as to which models are worth keeping for use and/or refurbishing (if any).

Thanks for the help guys.

Cheers,

Ces.

Da-Jew-Man View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Da-Jew-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2019 at 3:52pm
Hi Ces,
The ones worth keeping and/or restoring are the 2 wooden ones.Both 650 A3.
The one with the ratchet button at 6 o'clock is an earlier one , early 60's.
Both are cedar woth the later one having the rosewood stain.
The others the bakelite Alvey maybe 45A1 and 40 B (plastic) are newer models.
The Capstan is about the same vintage as the earlier Alvey but were made in the thousands.
Depending on what typer of fishing you do would decide what reels you use.
Dave
Historian/Collector of Old Sidecast Fishing Reels
Ces View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ces Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2019 at 5:03pm
Thank you very much mate. Could ask for much better info than that.

For a bit of nostalgia fish with the capstan and bakelite/plastic Alvey's, and display the wooden ones. Got it.

Cheers bud.
Ces View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ces Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2019 at 5:04pm
*couldn't ask...
horrorhead View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLover of the Year 2020

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horrorhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2019 at 6:55pm
Those 2 timbers are nice. I still use my father's 650 star drag cedar spool. Just feels great using it. It was the reel he always used when we used to go rock and surf fishing.
Martin-

you don't havta be pretty to fish
Danny View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Danny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2019 at 8:18pm
Omg, that red one just took me back 30years to when I was 5 lol.
Dan
Ces View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ces Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2019 at 11:06pm
Thanks guys.

I'm looking forward to sending John's widow a picture of a fish caught on a refinished reel.

Anyone have some suggestions as to where to look up information about refurbing these reels. I'll have a search myself but I figure the knowledge pool on here might be able to point me in the right direction rather than following ill advice.

Thanks again guys.

Ces.
TimmO View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TimmO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2019 at 9:20am
Mate there’s a refurb info page by Alvey. Just google restoring vintage alvey reels. I’ve looked at it in the past.
Ces View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ces Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2019 at 8:50pm
Cheers TimmO
puglee62 View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Fugly Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote puglee62 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2019 at 7:11am
be careful if you decide to get any parts re-plated.a friend of mine had some gunmetal Alvey parts redone at an electroplaters and they came out terrible.Idont plate my old reels for this reason.
that's no how ye make porridge!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic