LURELOVERS™ Australian Fishing Lure Community Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Lure Making > Make your own Fishing Lures > Questions and Tips re carving your own fishing lures
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Using Araldite

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkool Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Using Araldite
    Posted: 27 Mar 2019 at 3:33pm
Just wondering is there any way of making Araldite more usable for longer? As mine is starting to go off in the syringe within half n hour, making it very hard to use. I am using 48 - 72 hour Araldite. Any help muchly appreciated.

Thanks,
Wax.
Danny View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Danny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2019 at 7:23pm
God I hate that. I clearly work far to slow lol.
Dan
OCD View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
OCD Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OCD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2019 at 8:32pm
If you add a little Metho before the Areldite get too firm, you can extend the cure time. Mix a couple of drops of metho into the glue and it thins it out again and it doesn't appear to change the characteristics or strenghth of the glue when dry. But I am not sure how this will work for you in a syringe?
Cheers,

Gavin
Seaweed View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
née Capt.Seaweed

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Seaweed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2019 at 10:21am
Don't use a syringe myself, prefer to mix two parts out of tube as I need, never had problems.
"Always Merry and Bright"
al49 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote al49 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2019 at 5:50am
yep just use the two tubes and put lids back on properly after use ,i think the syringe type glues are designed for one application type jobs as that mixing section is naturally going to harden once mixed the two glues mix in the nozzle 
it a lot better world if you just smile
Fysshe Salmon View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
Fysshe Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Fysshe Salmon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2019 at 8:24am
I'm pretty sure  Rowland is mixing his Araldite then transferring into a syringe for application, and is looking for a way to extend the pot life of the glue. As Gavin said, you can use metho or isopropyl alcohol to thin the glue once it starts to thicken but would need all the glue to be removed from the syringe, thinned and then re-filled. Temperature has a lot to do with the life of the glue but cooling will also thicken the glue. Warming the syringe under a light bulb will thin the glue but also quicken the setting process...
Fysshe
gimme View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gimme Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2019 at 8:30am
Hi, I haven't tried it but I was once told to have the Araldite in the fridge, mix it and then put the syringe on an ice block or similar between lures to try and extend the curing time. Never tried it because I don't make enough lures in a batch to be an issue for me.
Plastic is for storing lures, not making them.
puglee62 View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Fugly Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote puglee62 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2019 at 8:25pm
Originally posted by gimme gimme wrote:

Hi, I haven't tried it but I was once told to have the Araldite in the fridge, mix it and then put the syringe on an ice block or similar between lures to try and extend the curing time. Never tried it because I don't make enough lures in a batch to be an issue for me.
i recon this might workThumbs Up
that's no how ye make porridge!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic