LURELOVERS™ Australian Fishing Lure Community Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Lure Making > Make your own Fishing Lures > Lures you have made
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

My first 2 piece cod lure

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bibby Lures Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: My first 2 piece cod lure
    Posted: 16 Aug 2019 at 7:18pm
I knew making a 2 piece lure would be tough but I am pretty pleased about how this one turned out. I don't know how it will swim and it may end up being a pretty wall ornament but was a good exercise.
How do you more experienced makers minimise the paint and epoxy getting damaged at the joint when it wiggles from side to side?
I can definitely see why they are much harder to make. Anyway I'll get some epoxy on these few and give them a swim. Hope you like them. Cheers Adrian
horrorhead View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLover of the Year 2020

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horrorhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 2019 at 7:43pm
Can't see why it wouldn't workThumbs Up

To answer your question, I think most makers of jointed lures rely on the clear coating to protect the colour coats. Nothing special seems to have been done to my jointed lures and the colour coats are still in very good nick.
Martin-

you don't havta be pretty to fish
rally44 View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Lee's Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rally44 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 2019 at 7:44pm
Adrian, Best I`ve found is to make, paint & clear TWO halves & then join them. I always finish up with 3 tails & no bodies left!!!Cheers Richard
Dads in the shed making saw-dust again.
Bibby Lures View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bibby Lures Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 2019 at 8:01pm
I'm sure I've made this more complicated than it needs to be. It was done in 4 pieces to try and work out the real estate with wire, sinkers and rattle chamber. Here is what it looks like inside.
puglee62 View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Fugly Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote puglee62 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 2019 at 9:58pm
boy those wires are never coming out!.i like your design mate but maybe go a slightly heavier guage wire.The general rule of thumb on jointed lures(not that ive made many myselfLOL)is to have a shorter tail than the main body,if the action isnt quite right make the tail shorter maybe.looking good though Adrian i thing these look promisingThumbs Up
that's no how ye make porridge!
horrorhead View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLover of the Year 2020

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horrorhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2019 at 9:34pm
that is a lot of  work there mate, nice and strong as Chris said about the wires not coming out
Martin-

you don't havta be pretty to fish
Bibby Lures View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bibby Lures Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2019 at 11:24am
Hi Chris. This stuff is 140 lb stainless leader wire. Maybe not even 1mm. This bends fine. How big do you recommend that I can still bend easy enough and where can I get it? Thanks Adrian
puglee62 View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Fugly Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote puglee62 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2019 at 5:12pm
thats stronger than it looks mate ,hey that should be okWink
that's no how ye make porridge!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic