LURELOVERS™ Australian Fishing Lure Community Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Lure Making > Make your own Fishing Lures > Questions and Tips re carving your own fishing lures
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Epoxy Crystallization

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ArdentAngler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Epoxy Crystallization
    Posted: 19 Jul 2020 at 6:42pm
Just opened a new box of Devcon 2 ton 30 min epoxy, the clear resin has solidified to a gooey sugary consistency. The amber hardener is still a maple thick consistency and unaffected.

I decided to use it anyway, upon mixing the consistency is still crystalized and remains opaque. After sitting for a while this has so far hardened up and behaving like normal. If it works fine, but its awful hard to squeeze out of the bottle and eyeball measure in this state, any ideas would be helpful...going to place an order for a new box just in case. Think I may finally lose all the marbles if I clear coat 30+ lures and have them botchedWacko
To avoid any unwarranted red herrings the bottles have been kept at room temperature and not exposed to any extreme temperature changes(that I know of?) 

Any thoughts on this or experience with this stuff going bad?

P.S. I had a 8 year box subjected to all the harsh elements and all of my earlier lures were made with this so it makes me wonder?
hazmail View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Rayna Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hazmail Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 2020 at 3:09pm
Hi Charles---I suspect it's the age of the epoxy, usually anything over a year is suspect--You might try placing the containers in warm water, this may bring it back to life----like crystallized honey WinkLOL
Pete

'RAYNA' ---Free Range Lures
peterayn@yahoo.com.au
ArdentAngler View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ArdentAngler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 2020 at 5:02pm
Pete- That's exactly what I was thinking of doing, figure it might be analogous to honey. Literally looks like crystalized honey, and bloody hard to squeeze out. I can close a COC No.2 gripper on a good day which is 88.5kg and this stuff has me struggling to squeeze. I will give this a try and see how it goes works. Managed to get some hook hangers epoxied so not a complete waste. Wouldn't risk it as a top coat, so I will have to get a new box.

Beetle View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Beetle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2020 at 10:10pm
I’d definitely try warming it up. I had some etex do the same. Warmed it up and it came good. Brought it back to life for quite some time. 
ArdentAngler View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ArdentAngler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2020 at 12:32pm
Going to give it the warm bath treatment and see if that works! Checked the expo date on the box, 8,27, 24 still good, LIES!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic