LURELOVERS™ Australian Fishing Lure Community Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Lure Making > Make your own Fishing Lures > Lures you have made
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Having another go after 30 years

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 345
Author
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chep Buxley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2024 at 4:04pm
Got caught on an underwater snag. I tried the Tackleback lure retriever but they're difficult to use off the bank. I wasn't going swimming for it after nearly drowning do that as a teenager.

When I was about 15 I got snagged in our farm dam fishing. Swam out and could almost touch the lure with my head above water. So I stuck my head under water, grabbed the lure......and drove the trebles into my finger. So there I am, alone, with my head underwater stuck to a snag. I start to PANIC.
The need for air overrode the pain of ripping the hook out. Swam to the bank, snapped the line and walked home.

horrorhead View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLover of the Year 2020

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horrorhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2024 at 7:57pm
I’ve heard of people drowning like that. 
Martin-

you don't havta be pretty to fish
Chep Buxley View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chep Buxley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2024 at 9:42pm
I need some shallow divers, so the only way to do that is with the tow point on the body.
Fortunately Richard Lee gave me some metal bibs some time ago.
Having the tow point on the bib has been relatively easy but body tow points is a whole different story....

I gave these 2 a test swim with an undercoat and no hooks.

This red one just laid on his side and refused to cooperate. A bit like an old labrador.
I tried a fast retrieve and there was a glimmer of hope. Maybe the hooks will add some stability.

The pink one swam like Ian Thorpe. Dead straight, nice action.

Tomorrow I'll take them down the lake and give them another test swim. Fingers crossed..........
horrorhead View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLover of the Year 2020

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horrorhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2024 at 9:58pm
They look good.

Try bending the tow point on the red lure down towards the bib. This usually gives lures more wiggle. To stop it from laying over I usually put on a heavier hook. With that red lure that doesn't look like an option. Drill a hole in the belly and glue in some lead - split shot/s or solder wire. That should help to right it up but it may turn it into a sinking lure.
Martin-

you don't havta be pretty to fish
Fysshe Salmon View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
Fysshe Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fysshe Salmon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2024 at 10:34pm
Always test with the hooks that you'll be using. As Martin said, bending the towpoint closer to the bib will increase action.
Fysshe
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 345
  Share Topic