LURELOVERS™ Australian Fishing Lure Community Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Lure Discussion > Fishing with Lures > Fishing Tackle discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Spinning Fishing Rod & Reel

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sudanraghu2210 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Spinning Fishing Rod & Reel
    Posted: 09 Feb 2022 at 4:13am
Hi

I am planning buy a decent budgeted, durable  medium action spinning fishing rod & reel for testing my home brewed crank baits. I am new for buying luring rod and the information available is quiet confusing for me. In case if there is any post on the subject, if anyone can share.

Look forward for suggestions & advise.

Regards, Raghubir

Its takes years of hard work, commitment and passion to give a life to a piece of raw timber !!
Ducks View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ducks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 2022 at 9:28am
Hi Raghubir
There are a million very different answers to this question, and all of them are probably correct.
The biggest considerations I would have would be the weight of the lures you are going to be casting, and the type of area you would be in.
You want something that will comfortably cast the lures.  Not with the lure weights at the extremes of the rod "specification".  You obviously can cast lures out of the range, but it will be less comfortable, and potentially more damaging to the rod (if the lures are too heavy)
You also want to think that the rod can deal with most of the potential catches.
Most things come down to personal preference, and I personally prefer to use rods under 7' long in boats.
However, fishing from shore there is definite advantages to going longer and I think some of my rods I regularly use to cast lures are up to 8'6".
That's all considering only calm/inshore waters.  For shore fishing in beaches with larger seas, etc, I go longer again but I don't do much of that fishing anymore.
sudanraghu2210 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sudanraghu2210 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 2022 at 1:46pm
Good afternoon john!!

Thanks for your detailed clarity on buying a fishing rod.

Basically my requirement is test of my lures and some fishing and want to have a rod which last longer.

I will be doing only shore fishing in open sea and dubai canal and need to have reasonably long casting distance as canal’s and break water are too rocky.

Further my lures weight are roughly from 15-30 g which may go up to 45-50 g and mostly crank baits.

Since you have good knowledge and experience in buying and using spinning rods for crank baits, could you suggest based on above criteria. Will appreciate if you can share make and source to buy, as you know I am based in dubai so it will be basically online purchase.

Thanks again for in-depth details.

Have a great day!!😊

Regards, Raghubir
Its takes years of hard work, commitment and passion to give a life to a piece of raw timber !!
Ducks View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ducks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 2022 at 3:05pm
What line class do you think you would fish and what size fish might you catch?
I know shore based fishing around the UAE seems to catch a lot of "bream", and fishing about PE1-2 (aka 10-20lb line)
But your lures seem like they are a bit heavier than the commercial plastic stuff they usually cast.
I don't have any brand affiliations, and my gear is a mix of everything.
At the moment I think the Samaki range of rods are probably the best value here in Australia for an intermediate budget.
Something like the Samaki Zing 902SM or even the 902SH model seems like it would probably be perfect for slinging 30gram lures all day.
For reels - I think stick with any reputable brands and it will be fine as well.  Just make sure its an appropriate size.
It's hard without knowing what you have access to.  I did a basic google and most of what I saw was brands I have never heard of, which seemed like a lot of "aliexpress" (cheap Chinese) type products.
The other thing to do would be once you are considering a couple of possible purchases put them up here and people can let you know if they have experience with specific models or ranges.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sudanraghu2210 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2022 at 2:57am
Thanks John for your detailed review on the subject and your understanding of UAE shore fishing.

Yes, you get lot of sea breams and additionally there are good number of predator fishes as well barracuda, king fish, queen fish  & cobia. These 3 fishes you get them on live baits (ballyhoo & lady fish) or lures & jigs & they are my target fishes as far my lures are concern.

The setup i am looking for is a braided line with good fluorocarbon leader, yes i would go for branded reel. The only issue i have is in selecting a luring medium action / moderate rods, i have visited many stores here in UAE and found them to be fast action rod ( my understand of medium action rod, that they   bends over the last half - correct me if i am wrong ).

Apart from local stores (including a huge Chinese market in Dubai where branded reels & rods are also available like Okuma, Daiwa & Shimano ) , there are online e-commercial like Amazon middle east, desert cart and so on lot of options and are pretty expensive too. I googled for Samaki brand seems its not available in this part of the world. During my only visit to New Castle (Australia) in 2018 i got hold of Penn reel which seems to take care of my reel requirement.

Would appreciate on guiding me on how to identify which rod is - Medium / Moderate action rod or Fast action rod.

Please bear with me as i do not have any understanding on luring rod which i feel that only experience user of the same has the hands on knowledge.

Thank & Regards, Raghubir

horrorhead View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLover of the Year 2020

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horrorhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2022 at 11:19am
If you check out the Shakespeare "Ügly Stik" rods, they usually have on them whether they are a medium or fast taper. This rod that I have pictured there is a pretty good rod for the species that you mentioned even though some people may consider it too light, but it was handled big spanish mackerel and giant trevally with ease, and they are not too expensive these days.

Martin-

you don't havta be pretty to fish
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horrorhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2022 at 11:23am

Martin-

LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horrorhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2022 at 11:26am
You can go heavier or lighter with this brand but it's a good starting point for your target species.
Martin-

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sudanraghu2210 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2022 at 3:26am
Thanks Martin for your valuable information.Smile

Best Regards, Raghubir
NQ FISH View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NQ FISH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2022 at 8:51pm
Hi there.
A good mid range spinning reel are the Shimano stradics. I have a FK 2500 on a Samaki rod. Awesome set up for flicking lures. Have handled 80cm Barramundi no problems. Running 30lb braid. 
Stradic 2500 or 3000 would be my choice. I have a stradic 4000 with a heavier rod for trolling. Can still flick lures with it. 

Bad days fishing is better than a good days work
Cheers chris

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sudanraghu2210 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2022 at 3:00am
Hi

Finally my Ugly Stik Elite 7'0'' USESP702M arrived today, purchased online from Amazon with lure wt capacity of 1/4-5/8 oz little short of my lures.

Here are some of pics & specs details, seems very delicate but comes with 7 years warranty. Waiting to get my braided & fluorocarbon lines expected before this weekend to try my lures at dubai canal.

One technical question, in case i use lure with little higher weight what happens !! It has got micro guides for line, suggest any strong knot for braid to fluorocarbon leader (i am not good at FG knot)

Thanks

Regards, Raghubir

rodsncods View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rodsncods Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2022 at 3:26am
might be a bit light for cobia and kingfish if you hook a big one, that will test your ability. . .mick
BEER IS PROOF THAT GOD LOVES US AND WANTS US TO BE HAPPY!!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sudanraghu2210 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2022 at 3:51am
Good Morning, Mick!!

Thanks Mick for your reply, i am also having the same apprehension.Cry
how about the casting lure weights, my lures weight are in the range of 15-25 gms. what happens if casting lures weight exceed the specs of the rod.

Regards, Raghubir

rodsncods View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rodsncods Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2022 at 3:58am
you could cast heavier lures but not with too much power, you may break the tip of the rod. keep this rod for your smaller lures , you may be better to look at the next size up for your bigger lures. . .mick

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sudanraghu2210 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2022 at 4:04am
thanks mick for sharing your insight on the using the lures weight and kind advise, appreciated.Smile

Regards, Raghubir
bassnbob View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
B.O.B Timber Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bassnbob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2022 at 9:36am
TODAY i bought the new diawa 7 "1 paddlefish diawa black 2to5kg one piece spin stick for smallers lures 40mm under 20 grams for around $180 ausdollars very light stick wth heaps of back bone ill be fishing for bass &bream whiting with this they make a daiwa black REEL too go withit but its was $ 130 out of my price  range so i bought the2500 tierra to match the rod loaded itwith 10lb braid should work well casting smaller topwater & bibed lures hope this helps WinkWink
SnowE View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Snowys Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SnowE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2022 at 2:48pm
Raghubir,

May I ask what reel you are putting on that rod? You mentioned a Penn?
Also what weight braid, I would think that this rod would fish ok with 10 to 15lb braid.
I never worry too much about the taper, I find a fairly fast taper works well for me. I have cast lures that feel a bit too heavy for the rod, but it can be done ok, just don’t go too hard at it, because as some else said it is possible to go beyond the rods ability and break it, the weights you suggest should be ok with that rod though. Just seems a bit light for Cobia or big Barracuda to me.
Cheers,

SnowE

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sudanraghu2210 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2022 at 7:10pm
Hi Steve!!

I am waiting for my braided line which is Powerpro spectra 300yd/15lb and leader P-line fluorocarbon 100yd/30lb. The reel I am going to use is heaver compare to the rod wt.  Its Penn 460 slammer. 

My lure are quiet weighted and I do not need hard on rod to cast them and only one small flick will put them on other end of canal. ( I checked my lures weight again  and on a average they are 30gm to be very precise).

Any suggestion, hope I have shared all details.

Regards, Raghubir
Ducks View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ducks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2022 at 11:55am
Hi Raghubir
Just from reading the descriptions on those items (I've not got any of them personally) I suspect after a while you may come to find that combo is not a great balance and doesn't feel as comfortable or enjoyable to fish with for longer sessions.
But there is a pretty simple solution down the road. A heavier model (10kg?) rod for that reel, and change to some 30lb braid. And a smaller sized reel (maybe 2500) for the 15lb line and rod, and like magic you find yourself with 2 spinning combos!
Next minute, you'll have 8 combos, and then the combos start getting their own combos...  Trust me, it happens :D
Tony Mc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tony Mc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2022 at 1:10pm
Martin recommended the same rod to me, so I bought oneLOL. The Ugly Stik USG-SP702GP medium action 6-10 kg. It has a recommended cast weights of 12 -88 grams and casts Mad Dog Dave's Edge poppers (about 40g) and Nils 15 cm/30gram Invincibles well. They sell here in Aus for $110 - $120
Braid usually breaks much higher than its rating, so 15 lb should suit.
a good lure is a tool, not a toy - Vic McCristal
Danny View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Danny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2022 at 7:08pm
Hey Raghubir,
If only all things were created equal,
Not all rods with the same length, action, line class,  lure cast weight will be the same. 
A 7’ 6-10kg fast action rod with a lure cast weight of 10-30grams from one brand will not be the same as another.
It sounds silly I know, they should be, but they just arnt. 
My suggestion would be to find a like minded fisherman, or any fisherman for that matter, close to you and use one of their rods and hold it in your hands and from there, even if it’s not perfect, you might be a bit closer to finding what suits you best. 

Dan
bassnbob View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
B.O.B Timber Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bassnbob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2022 at 9:17pm
DANNYS on the money you have to use em & abuse em to know whats fits your  style WinkWinkBig smileBig smile

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sudanraghu2210 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2022 at 2:07am
Hi,
Good morning !!
thanks Bob, Steve, John , Anthony & Daniel for adding value on the subject Smile
I think, Daniel views on checking with angler community is the best Thumbs Up way to move forward for me, else i will end up with piles of combo's Wink
There are good number of anglers one can find in some of the locations and majorities of them are from Philippines, they mostly do luring & jigging. Plan to catch hold of them this week end, ask them to try my lures which serve my purpose of testing my lures and knowing the setup requirements.  If they happens to catch anything, them marketing Wink if i want to sell my lures in future locally in UAE. 

Thanks again to all of you for your views / suggestions.

Regards, Raghubir

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sudanraghu2210 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2023 at 3:52am
Hi !

Finally i got my dream rod as suggested by Martin today from "Ocean Blue Fishing Adventures" Australia. Hopefully this rod will take care of all my lure which i am makingSmile

I tried locally as well other online E-commerce stores, but could not find and finally have to buy from Australia. It cost me AUD 119.99 for the rod & AUD 40 for the shipment to Dubai. It landed here after 10 days and the tracking of shipment was excellent from origin (CHULLORA NSW ) till delivery.

specs are Ugly Stik Gold -Medium -6-10kg, 7' casting wt.12-88g.

Regards, Raghubir

Here are few pics.

rodsncods View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rodsncods Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2023 at 6:06am
that will pull the big ones up. . . .mick
Chep Buxley View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chep Buxley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2023 at 7:50pm
I've got an Ugly Stik Gold. Landed 3 barramundi over 1 metre on it.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sudanraghu2210 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 2023 at 2:23am
Hi Shane ! one meter that's too bigShocked

Ya Mick, i wanted a rod which covers almost majority of the lures with respect to their weight rather than having different rods for different lures. Let see how it goes, may be in future i will order one more as stand by.

While holding this rod in hand you feel the quality of material used and does not weigh much.

Once again thank everyone for their advice in this post and especially to Martin for sharing the rod & specs.Smile

Regards, Raghubir
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horrorhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2023 at 4:42pm
You won’t be disappointed Raghubir, I bought my first one over 30 years ago and now have about 15 of them. The first one is still going strong
Martin-

puglee62 View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Fugly Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote puglee62 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2023 at 11:41pm
the Ugly sticks are a good tough rod RaghubirThumbs Up
that's no how ye make porridge!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic