LURELOVERS™ Australian Fishing Lure Community Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Lure Making > Soft Plastics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

shapes/ lure action can make a difference

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Unverified New Member
Unverified New Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spooonminnow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: shapes/ lure action can make a difference
    Posted: 14 May 2022 at 9:37pm
Someone asked me if I had a name for the different designs I've made that caught fish. Here are a few:

The Mo Magic Grub made using a mold. Note the flat thin tail:

When I dip the body into hot plastic to thicken the body, I call it the Chubby Mo Magic:

A mold that produces this tail shape I call the Tapered Tail:

The Knob Tail or Bobble Butt (for it's unique action) was produced by cutting off 1" off the front of a Softy Worm (company name) - lure on the left or cutting off the body of a Mojo Grub and melting it together to a smaller body - a curl-tail grub body in this case:

* BTW, the Chubby Mojo and the Bobble Butt do great anytime any place!

Fin - a fin cut from another lure and added to a segment of plastic - French Fry stick in this case:

Magnet Tail is made by adding a Crappie Magnet tail to another body (French Frystick  segment) - one larger than the original for the visual effect.

Mini-stick:

Spike Tail:

Cone Tail:

Claw made by cutting one off a bass lure and adding it to a body of some sort:

Caterpillar - two grub bodies joined after curl tail removed:

Many of you carry a variety of lures when you go fishing in hopes that at least one will shine. The above designs can be counted on when fish are in 5' or less, near or in vegetation and pre and post spawn. Each has a unique action when retrieved slowly and with pauses/ rod tip twitches. 

Yesterday I used 5 different designs and caught fish on all of them. 203 fish were caught between my partner and I using these designs rigged on 1/32 - 1/24 oz ball jigs. Water fished varied from emerging pads on shallow flats and clear water to murky water flats at the other end of the lake. Surprising was how well a clear plastic (no color) curl tail did in the murky water but so so at the other end in clear water. 
puglee62 View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Fugly Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote puglee62 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2022 at 10:31pm
some very cool lures there,you have inadvertently potentially answered a question for me Spooonminnow and i thank you.I have a large crayfish lure that i make and i have often tinkered with the idea of putting a bib(Bill) in a claw and fishing it,after all a claw is trigger just like an eye or a grassshopper leg or the wing of a mayfly?.Thumbs Up 
that's no how ye make porridge!
spooonminnow View Drop Down
Unverified New Member
Unverified New Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spooonminnow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2022 at 2:31am
Quiver shapes are infinite in number. Once the quiver action is confirmed, it's just a matter of finding various shapes that provide the profiles that really piss fish off. 
Shape determines action, and action + shape determine what fish strike.
spoon minnow View Drop Down
Beginner Member
Beginner Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spoon minnow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2024 at 6:44am
Finesse lures are my bread & butter when it comes to catching numbers, sizes and fish species. Amazing the action of such lures when rigged on light jigs. 

LL.com is a well designed forum BTW. Better than many I post on.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic