LURELOVERS™ Australian Fishing Lure Community Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Australian Lures > QLD Lures > Mal Florence
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Mal Florence lures

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Screamingreel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Mal Florence lures
    Posted: 04 Feb 2011 at 5:05pm
Available  at  1991

Regards John

Ceedeem View Drop Down
Unverified New Member
Unverified New Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Ceedeem Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jul 2011 at 9:39am
Mal originally got the design concept for the Masta, Masta Blaster etc from "Mumbles" who was a Cairns marlin boat deckie in 1972. He was in business with Bob "Sly Dog" Smith in those days custom wrapping rods from everything from light baitcasters to 130lb rigs.
Screamingreel View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Screamingreel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jul 2011 at 11:05am
Very interesting.
Ceedeem View Drop Down
Unverified New Member
Unverified New Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ceedeem Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jul 2011 at 1:31pm
At the same time, Sly was a full time worker in the business, while Mal kept his day job as an ABC Radio and TV announcer.

We all had many fishing excursions together, Bob passed away at the tender age of just over 40 from a heart attack, Mal went on to bigger and better things in his own businesses including making full length videos of the Cairns Marlin fishery. At the time, I had a work print of the video, which co-incided with the first Barra Classic in the NT at Corroboree. I showed the video to the assembled group of anglers, which included most of the movers and shakers of GFAA, including Johnno Johnson, Ern Palmer, Mal Ramsay, Peter Goadby, Judy Gay, laurie Woodbridge, and Jack Erskine among others. Goadbys comment was that the production put the game fishing movement backwards by 20 years.
Ceedeem View Drop Down
Unverified New Member
Unverified New Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ceedeem Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jul 2011 at 3:27pm
These are some of my attempts at the Mumbles ( Mumbles AKA Maurie Brown, ex-Navy Engine Room Articifer and general purveyor of all things un-purveyable) design "bibless deep runners" This was in 1973 in Townsville. After shaping the wood - when I was in Townsville I used white beech - a slot was cut at the bottom front of the lure, and a sinker was shaped to fit the slot, which was then araldited into place before drilling the holes to fit the wire loops which would eventually, after painting, hold the rings and hooks. They were deadly on large mackerel and wahoo, and even hooked a small sail on one occasion.

This is Malcolm Reed Florence in 1973 before he got into his fitness regime

wahootim View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wahootim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jul 2011 at 8:52pm
Thats history right there, good on you Col. Cheers Tim.
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Screamingreel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 2011 at 2:32pm
Found a blister pack would have been sold through one of the chain stores awhile ago.
No doubt everyone can remember them and have some in their tackle boxes.
Mackeral and queenies were rather fond of them up north.
regards John

Darby View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Fishaholic Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Darby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2011 at 8:37pm

"If you are going to have fun with your rod.. get some wood

LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Screamingreel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2011 at 9:09am
Brad 
I am not familiar with the Bass Masta lures. Cannot remember coming across them. Thanks for posting.I would have been down in Tassy when they were released, and the range of lures was not great in the stores, most were geared to couta , salmon and trout
regards John
Darby View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Fishaholic Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Darby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2011 at 7:07pm

Bass Masta is 85mm overall with a 60mm body, Trout Masta is 70mm overall with a 50mm body

Got these and some others if you want them John.

"If you are going to have fun with your rod.. get some wood

LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Screamingreel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2011 at 8:49pm
Thanks very much for the offer  Brad but I am actually down sizing.
regards John

LBG View Drop Down
Unverified New Member
Unverified New Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LBG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 2012 at 12:28pm
Speaking of casta blastas .
What I have remaining are laid to rest in my cabinet. I remember early 90s
Off the rocks at quobba station losing 7 in 7 casts to giant golden trevors
Came up in a squadron . The largest in the pack ci
Engulfing like there was no tomorow . What a spectacle.
LBG View Drop Down
Unverified New Member
Unverified New Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LBG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 2012 at 12:32pm
Speaking of casta blastas .
What I have remaining are laid to rest in my cabinet. I remember early 90s
Off the rocks at quobba station losing 7 in 7 casts to giant golden trevors
Came up in a squadron . The largest in the pack ci
Engulfing like there was no tomorow . What a spectacle.
MadDogLures View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Mad Dog Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MadDogLures Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2016 at 2:51pm
Malcolm Reed Florence what a legend, the lures and the adventures.

Cheers,
Dave
Life is fishing!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic