LURELOVERS™ Australian Fishing Lure Community Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > International Lures > European Fishing Lures > Swedish Lures
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

some ABU's

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Unverified New Member
Unverified New Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bluey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: some ABU's
    Posted: 13 Feb 2011 at 3:22pm
here are some wierd and plain shapes for ABU
my favourites are the Robot and the Shiener,
smallest Toby i have seen last pick 1/8 oz
cheers George

Kelly Boy View Drop Down
Unverified New Member
Unverified New Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kelly Boy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2011 at 5:15am
Hello George, there are some nice Abu in that collection. The 1/8 oz or 4 gram Toby was the smallest size sold. It was sold from 1967 onwards. Checkout the history of the Toby lure on Wayne Reals website. Cheers, Mike. 
doccod View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
B.J.'s Spinnerbaits

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doccod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2011 at 10:55am
WinkG'day George great collection mate,If you feel a need to do a swap for your shallow diving bent bibbed Burke big dig then I'm sure I could find something that may take ya fancy. B.J.LOL
CaptainCranky View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Guide
LureLovers.com Guide
Beta Tester

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CaptainCranky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2011 at 11:11am
George you are quietly aquiring a nice varied collection.
The Journey is the Reward

bluey View Drop Down
Unverified New Member
Unverified New Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bluey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2011 at 3:58pm
yeah mate taken a while to track down and am happy to say not one came
from $-bay they have all been sold at some stage in OZ
as far as i am aware
regards george
Kelly Boy View Drop Down
Unverified New Member
Unverified New Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kelly Boy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2011 at 7:40am
Hey B.J.

Your recent response to George tells me that you know about these -

but what can you tell us about these Abu lures sold by Burke ?

do you have any insight into what, why and when Burke sold Abu (as opposed to what Burke was sold by Abu) ? Interesting stuff.

Cheers, Mike.
doccod View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
B.J.'s Spinnerbaits

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doccod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2011 at 10:48am
G'day mike to tell you the truth i know very little about the history between the 2 companies. Wayne the Abu man on this site knows far more than What i could ever hope to know on the subject! He has even in previous posts out lined some of that history! personally I've always liked the soft bodied lures that both companies seemed to have shared a common interest with. I'm smiling over the bladed lure you've posted thinking just how much our fishing lure crazes revolve around just like fashion! I also love those two teasing photos of the soft poppers one of which I also still own Red head over white body (NIB;) also while i have the same coloured bibbed lure as in photo mines bib is not kinked and unfortunely no box! The soft abu popper I haven't got though and thanks for the tease, As for other lures of common interest between the two I've seen but not own some jigs equipped with a stinger hook and some type of flashabou fibre bound to the hook, fly style! I also own some soft jitterbug styled poppers that still get a run on the bass every now and again! As you say very interesting stuff and I reccommend you read waynes thread on this issue! Take care mate, B.J.
Kelly Boy View Drop Down
Unverified New Member
Unverified New Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kelly Boy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2011 at 4:47am
Hello B.J. I have read Waynes excellent words on his website and we have exchanged many emails on this subject. Unfortunately there are still some holes in our knowledge and that is why I responded to your post. Just for the record all of the lures in my pic were made by Burke, the top one was sold by Abu as the Cello. The Red Head in the Burke box was sold as Ol' Twitch and the bladed one as the Big Dig. Burke made many other soft bodied lures including some realistic looking insects !The word is that Burke were forced to cease manufacturing the soft bodied lures because it was discovered that they contained environmentally harmful chemicals. Cheers, Mike.
LureLovers.com Guide
LureLovers.com Guide
Beta Tester

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CaptainCranky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2011 at 7:46am
So that's what happened to me.When I was little I used to chew up Little Big Digs with no hooks on them.

Kelly Boy View Drop Down
Unverified New Member
Unverified New Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kelly Boy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2011 at 8:23am
Hey Barry,

That info might explain many things! I guess that you are mainlining on some really strong stuff now !

From your comments I guess that Burke had an outlet (or at least a pusher !) in Oz. Were Burke common down there ? They were not sold in the U.K., to my knowledge.

Cheers, Mike.
bilge View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
Bill Jackson Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bilge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2011 at 9:58pm
BJ Got a couple of Little big digs and a big dig hanging on the wall. Billj
The older I get the more I learn.
LureLovers.com Guide
LureLovers.com Guide
Beta Tester

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CaptainCranky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2011 at 6:15am
Very popular Bass lure in the 70's when I was chewing them.

Kelly Boy View Drop Down
Unverified New Member
Unverified New Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kelly Boy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2011 at 6:30am
Hello Barry, that is potentially very interesting. Can you remember approximately when you chewed those baits and when there were no new ones to be found ? It could be important. Cheers, Mike.
doccod View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
B.J.'s Spinnerbaits

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doccod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2011 at 1:50pm
WinkBilge Mate I just love those burke dig lures, small and big and yep really excellent bass luresSmile B.J.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic