LURELOVERS™ Australian Fishing Lure Community Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Lure Making > The Art of Fly Tying
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Fly Rod Mice

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Screamingreel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Fly Rod Mice
    Posted: 12 Apr 2011 at 9:06am
Found some Mice flies In the National Fishing Lure Collectors club mag June 1999,(American Publication) that may provides some ideas for future  Mice flies. There is an addition four pages of fly ideas should any body be interested 8 just seemed to be too many to post

Picture  4 there appears to be a bit of an over- kill with the treble, appears larger than the fly

Some great work shown here

Regards John

bassnbob View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
B.O.B Timber Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bassnbob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2011 at 11:33am
THE ONE WITH the real mouse over rubber is a crackerClapClapClapClapClapClapClapregardsbob
Screamingreel View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Screamingreel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2011 at 12:28pm
I thought you might appreciate some of these   bob

A fair amount of work in some of them

Regards John
Nicho View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Nichos Maulers

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nicho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2011 at 1:12pm
how cool are they, nice to have the time to have a go at making all the things this site unveils.
Nichos Maulers Homemade timber lures....THEY CATCH FISH!

YA DONT KNOW...IF YA DONT GO...SO GET OUT THERE AND... FISH IT
doccod View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
B.J.'s Spinnerbaits

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doccod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2011 at 1:55pm
WinkThere great aren't they I have some variations of these in my flybox as well and just picked up a locally made one that was very interesting as well!!! B.J.
tooch View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
Twitchy Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tooch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2011 at 8:38pm
Hi John, a couple of those mouse shapes are nearly Identical to my little frog shapes...WinkWink
now you've got me thinking...LOLLOLLOL I just saw a light bulb flash...mmmmmm...SmileSmileSmile..pete.
I'd rather be fishing with

bassnbob View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
B.O.B Timber Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bassnbob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2011 at 8:28am
THANKS JOHN theres a massive amount of scissor work in them .............IVE made 20 dalberges for myself years ago took me 4 days to trim them all up but they last forever&a day regards BOBWinkWinkClapClapBig smileBig smileBig smileBig smileBig smile
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Screamingreel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2011 at 9:23am
Here is the remaining four pages made from balsa (now there is a challenge) wool , chenille , flock, cork  and please note special earings on page three   (now page 4) that is if it stays in that position after I post

It appears from the article ,a lot of these were made in the 30's

Regards John

bassnbob View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
B.O.B Timber Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bassnbob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2011 at 10:31am
AWSOME work in them the fly with paddles ive never seen before cool regards BOBTongueTongueTongueTongueBig smileBig smileBig smile
MXB View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MXB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2011 at 2:41pm
Nice Mice

MXB
puglee62 View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Fugly Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote puglee62 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2011 at 11:29pm
wow thanks for putting this up John,theres some really clever patterns in there!
twisted_leader View Drop Down
Beginner Member
Beginner Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote twisted_leader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jul 2011 at 3:12pm
My "Poppa Mouse" fly with pattern. Bass love em.
Kind regards... David

bassnbob View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
B.O.B Timber Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bassnbob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jul 2011 at 4:53pm
COOL DAVE i may tie some of them when i get some time thanks there great ClapClapClapClapClapBig smileregards bob
twisted_leader View Drop Down
Beginner Member
Beginner Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote twisted_leader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jul 2011 at 5:51pm
Thanks Bob, 
I have always been tempted to "double" the scale and make some up on a 4/0 hook (?) for some cod. Another job for a wet weekend.
David
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Screamingreel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jul 2011 at 5:59pm
Another fresh idea.
It is amazing the different styles and materials available to be used
Thanks David
MXB View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MXB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jul 2011 at 6:09pm
Here's some South Bend Mouse Oreno lures in all catalogued colours.

These lures were in the 1935 South Bend catalogue and date to c. late 1930's with black and white eye variation. Boxes are correct for the lures

MXB
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Screamingreel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jul 2011 at 6:14pm
What little rippers, and matching boxes as well.  Decent size doubles as well.

regards John
PatB View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PatB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2011 at 10:41pm
Just joined the forum tonight and headed straight to the fly tying section where I found this post. I tied a mouse fly a couple of years ago with deer hair and cow tail (not calf) as the mouse tail. I figured all black would have the best profile and the eyes for the fly fishers appeal Big smile The target species are bass and saratoga and it had its first swim in Ewen Maddock dam a few weeks ago looking for Togas. It casts well and the double wire weed guard allows casts right up into the lilie beds. The water is still a bit cool and there is a hell of alot to prospect so no fish came to hand. Bass should be interested in it so plenty of chances to use it coming. I'll post a pic of my tie and a tan/brown store bought mouse fly. Cheers all PAT.
Fool to the bream
PatB View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PatB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2011 at 10:43pm
I tried to post three pics in one post but only the last came up so here is my black mouse fly. Pat
Fool to the bream
Nicho View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Nichos Maulers

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nicho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2011 at 12:12am
I ve seen that fast mouse somewhere before?LOL.........just realised.
He is cool.....and bass would love them both.
Jas
Nichos Maulers Homemade timber lures....THEY CATCH FISH!

YA DONT KNOW...IF YA DONT GO...SO GET OUT THERE AND... FISH IT
puglee62 View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Fugly Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote puglee62 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2011 at 1:00am
i was thinking the same thing Jas,these guys fished up at maroon dam late on a summer arvo would be killers.nice work Pat
p.j. View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
P.J's Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote p.j. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2011 at 5:59am
Mouse seems to look the same all over the world Smile
Here is a Danish version, i caught some nice Pikes on.
Your black one looks good. Sure cud catch a Pike here to Thumbs Up
P.J. LURES
SO SMOKING HOT
EVEN CUSTOM DOGS LIKE THEM
PatB View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PatB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2011 at 6:53am
R.E. Black mouse fly - thanks all just itching to get this little guy in my local spot but I'll have to work on my roll casting as back space is limited. I may have to sneak the kayak in Tongue Pat.
Fool to the bream
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Screamingreel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2011 at 8:30am
The different weed guards used any personal preference, does it depend on  the weed cover on top of the surface being fished , some are mono ,and some stainless wire.
Although I have some ,never fished them.

regards John
puglee62 View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Fugly Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote puglee62 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2011 at 12:56pm
Originally posted by p.j. p.j. wrote:

Mouse seems to look the same all over the world Smile
did you use a wide gape hook on this guy P.J ? he looks very nice
flyonline View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flyonline Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2011 at 1:26pm
And this is the end result Big smile

p.j. View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
P.J's Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote p.j. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2011 at 5:37pm
[QUOTE=puglee62][QUOTE=p.j.]Mouse seems to look the same all over the world Smile
did you use a wide gape hook on this guy P.J ? he looks very nice

Thanks Chris. Yes it is Stinger Hooks like these i use. Thy manége to pin the Fish quit well
P.J. LURES
SO SMOKING HOT
EVEN CUSTOM DOGS LIKE THEM
MXB View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MXB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2011 at 5:48pm
Bass stinger hooks with the wide gape are best for these type of flies like the ones shown above

MXB
PatB View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PatB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2011 at 7:40pm
Originally posted by Screamingreel Screamingreel wrote:

The different weed guards used any personal preference, does it depend on  the weed cover on top of the surface being fished , some are mono ,and some stainless wire.
Although I have some ,never fished them.

regards John
G'Day John regarding weed guards I prefer double wire (40 lb game wire) weed guards for surface fishing over weeds as it keeps the fly upright without falling onto it's side. If I'm fishing subsurface I use a single wire "post" or a single mono guard.My preference for tying is wire as I think it is less stuffing around than tying in mono but both can become "fish guards" especially for fish that inhale rather than bite their prey e.g bass & barra. Some gun Toga fly fishers around he rarely use guards and fish in pretty sticky water. Definately a personal choice and sometimes really depends on how well you know your flies sink rate and the territory you are fishing. Cheers Pat.
Fool to the bream
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Screamingreel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2014 at 4:43pm
Anymore Mice lures/ flies about

Regards John
flyonline View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flyonline Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2014 at 7:07pm
Posted elsewhere....

A year or so ago, I came across the dirty rat by Jackie Treehorn and tied up a few to try, but found that they didn't create enough commotion for my liking, so I upped the foam and tied in a stack of foam discs to increase floatation as well as noise. While it worked great, it was a long tie especially for something that spends it's time bouncing off logs, tree roots and rocks and even with some glue involved, the discs eventually worked their way out.

PA200439_zps0a2543cd.jpg

Original dirty rat tie

PA200441_zps2f30163d.jpg

Stacked foam pattern

About the same time I came across a pattern used by another aussie cod fly angler, the big poppa. So I combined the two, using the marabou body and tail from the dirty rat with the foam body of the big poppa. I also switched from using marabou to the fluffy waste feathers on the edge of a cock pheasant rump. They are soft and create great motion like the marabou but can easily be palmered under the foam to give the shape and colour of the body. They're also 'free' if you use the main feathers for other patterns. I also started adding the pink face mask, most of the rivers are lined with trees and almost all my casting is done into shade, so this adds a nice bright target for me to see in the shade or low light conditions.

PA200443_zps8c1853a6.jpg

While I tried using zonker strips, I keep coming back to the furled wool or furled wool/mono tail. It just has the right shape, action and doesn't fold up on the hook as often as the zonker strip. Whether the fish can see it is another story.... You might notice also that I don't trim the ends of the foam off the hook eye, I always use a small snap on the end of the leader to facilitate easy fly change and the foam helps hold the snap out straight. Hook sizes range from 1/0 for small flies up to 10/0 for the bigger stuff.

PA200436_zpsfd52a3da.jpg

Meece evolution lineage

This year I've started playing around with a tie to beat the occasional trip where all the fish short strike. I started with the conventional stinger, but cod have a tendancy to shake their head while being handled, and being pinned to an 80cm/25kg fish in a kayak doesn't sound like my idea of fun, so I've tied up a few on shiner hooks as well.

PA200447_zps10430041.jpg

Stinger

PA200445_zpsa5556d01.jpg

Shiner Hook

And to throw in something different on slow days, I tied up some 'wiggle mice' to see if wake style flies can pull fish.

PA200448_zps1d5f0337.jpg

And the end result, a beautiful 'bucket mouth'

AV3.jpg

Now I just need to come up with a foot long swimming possum pattern and I might be able to draw up the huge 1m+ grandmas hiding deep in the dark pools on a moonless night.

Steve

bassnbob View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
B.O.B Timber Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bassnbob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2014 at 7:09pm
COOL mice i just dig emClapClapClapClapClapWinkregards bob
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Screamingreel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2014 at 7:20pm
Thanks Steve Thumbs Up

Some great ideas that work

Regards John
bassnbob View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
B.O.B Timber Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bassnbob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2015 at 4:55pm
STILL a great thread this one mices are coolWinkWinkClapClapBig smileBig smileregards bob
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic