LURELOVERS™ Australian Fishing Lure Community Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > International Lures > European Fishing Lures > Swedish Lures
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Very Early Abu lures, anyone know them ?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Unverified New Member
Unverified New Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kelly Boy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Very Early Abu lures, anyone know them ?
    Posted: 05 May 2011 at 9:44am
This is the earliest Abu Spoon which I have found. 1946 is pretty early. Any others around, let me know ?

I would love to hear from another collector of these baits, especially if they have anything rare or special to show.

For everyone else I know that the lure looks boring, but trust me, it is not.

Cheers, Mike.

Kelly Boy View Drop Down
Unverified New Member
Unverified New Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kelly Boy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2011 at 10:03am
 Another from 1946 -

any thoughts, do I keep going ?

Cheers, Mike.

Kelly Boy View Drop Down
Unverified New Member
Unverified New Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kelly Boy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2011 at 10:08am
At least let me show my personal favorite -

I will stop here. The rest can be seen in my slideshow at the bottom, under "Test Forum"

Cheers, Mike.

bluey View Drop Down
Unverified New Member
Unverified New Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bluey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2011 at 8:03pm
great lures Mike
 i have some lures you can see in this section but none boxed like yours
thanks for posting pic
CaptainCranky View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Guide
LureLovers.com Guide
Beta Tester

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CaptainCranky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2011 at 10:46pm
Mike they are great lures.When I get a moment I will try to get some pics of some different lures I have.
The Journey is the Reward

Kelly Boy View Drop Down
Unverified New Member
Unverified New Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kelly Boy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2011 at 8:02am
Hello guys and thanks for the response. Thanks also to the viewers that did not post, its great to know that there is interest out there.
George, you are definately on the right track, just keep going ! Barry, I am looking forward to seeing yours, I think that you are a "dark horse" ?
For the Record (?) the U.K. seems fairly empty of these old lures, there may well be more in Oz than here ! I can tell you that the one in the first pic which I showed came from Argentina !! The second from Sweden and the third from America. I have also found quite a few nice Abu in NZ !
Keep looking and let me know if you need any help, good luck.

Cheers, Mike.

doktortomba View Drop Down
Unverified New Member
Unverified New Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doktortomba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2013 at 7:45am
Hi

new here on this forum. really nice lures. i have some 10-15 boxed lures from 1946. among them a couple of pendeldraget. (the pendeldraget was by the way later given away around mid-50ies by a swedish magazine, and those ones are pretty hard to find). i have no boxed marked with 1945, but some really early ones with the darker red ink on the box. theese are marked with the letter x and a number. have heard from some sources that the number before the year would be the number of the employee who packed and marked the box. but im not 100% sure about that.
Tomba

Kelly Boy View Drop Down
Unverified New Member
Unverified New Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kelly Boy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2013 at 7:54am

Hi Tomba,

Good to see your post. I know you from our work on Waynes site, it would be good to talk with you, send me a pm if you can. If not I am mike.elsworth@ntlworld.com.

Cheers, Mike.
Strangalures View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Strangalures Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2013 at 1:13pm
Originally posted by Kelly Boy Kelly Boy wrote:

<FONT size=4 face="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif">At least let me show my personal favorite -

I will stop here. The rest can be seen in my slideshow at the bottom, under "Test Forum"

Cheers, Mike.

I like the look of this one do you know of any links to its action
Thanks Rick
Fish Choking Lures :)
horrorhead View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLover of the Year 2020

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horrorhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2013 at 6:41pm
Very interested in the action of this one as well
Martin-

you don't havta be pretty to fish
Kelly Boy View Drop Down
Unverified New Member
Unverified New Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kelly Boy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2013 at 7:52pm
Hi guys,

To be honest I have never fished one of these myself so I cannot verify their action in use. I do know that the designer considered them to be a development of the Devon minnow. The clever design allows the weighted hook to be positioned on either side of the bait, hence controlling whether it spins to the left or the right.

Here is a pic from a very early catalogue (1946) -

And here is a pic from a more recent catalogue after the bait was reprised in 1968 -

Enjoy !!

Cheers, Mike.
Screamingreel View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Screamingreel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2013 at 9:29pm
Thanks Mike
Kelly Boy View Drop Down
Unverified New Member
Unverified New Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kelly Boy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2013 at 12:17am
This one is from 1944, the only year that I can find this colour combo in a catalogue -

and a close up of the paper which is dated 1944 -

Cheers, Mike.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic