Forum Home Forum Home > Australian Lures > QLD Lures > Barra King
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

BarraKing Brochure

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
née Capt.Seaweed

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Seaweed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: BarraKing Brochure
    Posted: 06 May 2011 at 2:27pm
Since receiving a nice selection of Henry Hall originals, I've been overwhelmed with interest from members.
Some have already gone to local mates, but I'm keeping the rest for now.
So much interest shown, that it's now raised my interest in these, I've been scanning old Barramundi Yearbooks for info. on advertisements etc.
Nothing in 1980, 1982 as you'd expect, as he only started in 1981. In 1984 book, gets a mention from Dick Eussen as a new cottage lure maker, but no ad.
1986 and we have this brochure, plus many photos of barra with BarraKings hanging out of their mouths.
1988's addition the ad is there again but this time with Ron Dau's name as the contact. Here I run out of Yearbooks, were'nt printed after 1988. Remarkably I'd never noticed the number of gun fishos up here that were using these and catching, until scanning these old mags.
Does anyone know of a more comprehensive brochure?, this on numbers colours up to #34, but you can clearly see only a few shown in this pic, some colours I have aren't included, as well as many others.
The 1988 ad, is identical to this one except for the manufacturers name change. I'm about to troll my old mates to see what they have hidden, I'll keep you updated. Sorry about the picture quality, but photo taken of a glossy mag page, tried several attempts to remove glare, to no avail. Regards, Tony.

"Always Merry and Bright"
Seaweed View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
née Capt.Seaweed

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Seaweed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2011 at 10:09am
Haven't had any bites on this one yet, so I'm going to drop-in on my old mate George Voukolos, (Fishing & Outdoor World, Darwin), George is still at the store, but his son Ron has more or less taken over as manager.
BarraKings were sold through the shop right from the beginning, with Henry even crediting George with the lure name. I'll see if he has any old literature buried away in the back of the store, premises hasn't changed location since the start, which would be some sort of record considering the cyclone and all the building changes in the area over the years since the early 70's.
Regards, Tony.
Tony View Drop Down
Admin
Admin
Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tony Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2011 at 8:45am
Gday Tony

I believe that is the only brochure that was made. When I was lucky enough to visit Henry and Aileen with Barry we had a flick through some of the old Barra annuals looking at some of the articles/pics talking about Barra Kings. I remember one in particular that was taken of Eileen sitting in a tinnie holding up a nice Barra caught on one of their regular trips! Cool

If I recall correctly, Henry mentioned that the photo used for the ad was the only catalogue made.

If you can get a hold of a scanner I find that's the easiest way if you need to get an image from a paper document - they come out perfect every time!

I'm not sure re the colours in your very nice recent acquisition that are not on the chart, although will email the picture to Henry to see if we can get some more info about them Thumbs Up

Cheers, Tony

For the love of Fishing Lures.
Seaweed View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
née Capt.Seaweed

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Seaweed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2011 at 10:34am
Thanks for that Tony, we have a lure with #34 next to it, I also saw a post of Barry's with colour #33.
So, you have to assume there are at least 34 different colour combinations?
Please show Henry, I'm wondering if George V will have something in the archives. These have definitely piqued my interest. I don't have a scanner, how about I take to one of those print shops see what can be done, to enlarge etc. will get back to you on this.
Regards, Tony.
Seaweed View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
née Capt.Seaweed

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Seaweed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 2011 at 5:03pm
Tony, further to this brochure query, I took magazine (Barramundi Yearbook 1986) to a local copy mob. They stated, because is a photo reproduced onto a glossy page, would be difficult to get clarity any better. My photo off the page is also affected by the glossy surface. A pity, would have been great to have been able to enlarge.
Barry says he'll talk with Henry, be nice to know exactly how many colours and combinations Henry produced.
Since acquiring mine from my mate, like yourself, I've become very keen on these, sorry about the competition, anyway as you know I have a couple of doubles, hoping you have same.LOL
Regards, Tony (Darwin, NT).
Seaweed View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
née Capt.Seaweed

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Seaweed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 2011 at 8:57am
Dropped in on George recently, took a Henry Hall era BarraKing to jog his memory. Unfortunately, no brochures or info. left in the shop. George couldn't recall ever seeing any sort of advertising media with the lures, he did say they were very popular at the time, mid 80's, being one of only a couple of timber makers, including Chris Hurt, Mick Elliot and Norm Edwards.
Can recall Keith Kemp's Sports in Knucky St., stocked the Elliot's and Edward's at the time, where I purchased my early barra lures, wish I still had them LOL.
Regards, Tony.
bluey View Drop Down
Unverified New Member
Unverified New Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bluey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 2011 at 6:37pm
the shop
had a big clean out not long ago and sad to say a lot of information going back some thirty or so years        may have gone to landfill

regards George
Screamingreel View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Screamingreel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2012 at 10:14am
Tony
  Secured a book believed to be around 1988  (Fishing Kakadu by Dick Eussen) today at the market with the same ad.
First time I have come across it. There does not appear to have been many ads in the fishing mags at all, around that time for the Barra King Lures.

I have blown it up double its size as it is only a small ad, did you do the same thing to try and get a bit more detail.

regards John
Seaweed View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
née Capt.Seaweed

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Seaweed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2012 at 10:33am
Thanks John, no I didn't, don't have a scanner or other photo enlargers. Thanks for the tip on the Eussen book. I have a copy of that somewhere, I'll dig it out, the ad picture maybe better quality than the Barra Yearbook ones, that I've previously mentioned.
Might take it to the pros to try and get it enlarged. Reason I'm interested is, I'm slowly expanding the Henry Hall BarraKing collection, thanks to people like Cranky and local Darwin mates. Going to mount them in some type of display case, would like the brochure ad enlarged as a background. This will be my prize barra lure display, the rest are all in Plano clear boxes LOL.
Appreciate your help on this topic John, had just about given up on this thread, now where's that Kakadu book?Confused
Regards, Tony.
Seaweed View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
née Capt.Seaweed

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Seaweed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2013 at 8:05am
Just an update to the number of colours available, on reading an article in May 1986 Trailerboat Fisherman, that Laurie (Oldman) kindly gave me this week, it appears Henry cunningly exagerated his number range by slight stripe, eye colour variables in his BarraKing line-up. Ads in old barra magazines state colours to No.34, could never work out what the missing colours were, until this article by Dick Eussen.
Dick states Henry made 17 different colours, so simple maths tells us Henry arrived at the double of 34 by variations.
Mystery solved Big smile.
Regards, Seaweed.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic