LURELOVERS™ Australian Fishing Lure Community Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Lure Making > Make your own Fishing Lures > Lure Making Articles
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Makeing a Split lure/through wire

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Rayna Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hazmail Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Makeing a Split lure/through wire
    Posted: 05 Aug 2011 at 7:44pm
Posted in the US a few years back- Did not translate real well so had to edit it a bit.
*Also try "double sided tape" (sparingly) instead of the panel pins (it's easier).
Pete

Posted 05 November 2007 - 02:42 AM

I see a lot of guys make through wire lures, understandable when I see some of the pictures of the fish you catch there. I don't normally bother for trout but if I was going after Cod or Barramundi over here, "Through Wire" certainly would be an advantage.

This is how I have been doing it for about 30years (with a 10 year break until recently) but it is by no means the only way, as you can see from this great forum and others. Some of this will be obvious and mundane to the seasoned builder, but it could turn the light on for guys just starting out, so bare with us. Take what you like and adapt it to what you need and by all means, have fun doing it.

I don't think there is anything new here, but because of the sizes I make 3" -2" (very small I know) and because I am pretty isolated here, I have been doing through wire a bit different, and for some this may be more accurate and quicker.
These sizes are only what I use, they can be expanded or contracted to suit the size lures you make. It sounds complicated but once I am set up I can cut and rout 10 - 12 lures in about 15 min (not including sanding and wire harness), these will keep me busy for months.

Jigs / Templates:If you intend to make this a career or an extended hobby -Make a JIG for every aspect of lure making you can (that goes for wire harness, furniture, wood turning, toys etc), it initially takes a lot of time to make some jigs, but the time savings and accuracy from lure to lure, down the track are enormous. If you get one lure that is the right weight and shape, and it runs to the depth you like, then every one will run the same if you use jigs - if you don't, each lure will be a mystery, until you use it. Treat jigs like gold and put them away after use, some can be tiny, but invaluable - THESE (jigs), I think, are the most neglected part of amateur lure making, or making anything for that matter.

DON'T FORGET THE DUST MASK

Resized to 37% (was 881 x 661) - Click image to enlargePosted Image

First I get a 20mm x 20mm length of timber and rout a 3mm wide and about 1.5mm deep groove (this 1.5mm, would be about 1/2 width of a  through wire harness thickness), the entire length of a suitable length piece of timber on both sides. Length is up to you but I usually do about 1 meter, which gives me about 10-12 lures @ 80mm. If you want to add weight (lead wire etc) to your lures, you should allow more width for this, so maybe use a wider bit.

Resized to 40% (was 816 x 612) - Click image to enlargePosted Image

I then put this timber through a table saw and cut it length ways, slightly less then half width (8mm), this leaves the off cut slightly wider (9mm), the blade is 3mm wide. I then put the off cut through (routed edge on fence) and shave off the extra width (about 1mm), this way you finish up with both sides exactly the same width and saves fiddling around trying to cut dead centre.
Put these two sticks together and cut with a drop saw, hand saw, or hack saw - dock off to slightly longer than your required length, which for me is a bit longer than the finished lure (80mm). Get the router going again and set up some stops (I use old clothes peg springs) and rout the slot for the bottom hanger/hangers (same depth same width). Because each side is a reverse of the other, you will need to clamp on a R/hand and L/hand stop here. Obviously the distance from the lip end to the first hook hanger should be approximately the same for both pieces, don't worry about the back end, any extra can be sanded off later.--
*Today I would just cut this bottom hanger slot out with a Stanley knife

Posted Image

Resized to 38% (was 843 x 631) - Click image to enlargePosted Image

Sort them into opposing pairs and maybe number them and mark the end you will be using for the lip. It's essential to get the lip ends square here, for when you have to cut the lip slot later.
Now get your lure profile and outline it on the lure, with the profile (lip end) starting right at that end of the blank.

Resized to 38% (was 849 x 636) - Click image to enlargePosted Image

I make my profiles out of 1mm sheet aluminum and have been using the same ones for years (it's a Jig), or you can stick on printed paper lure profiles - one side should do if all your sander beds etc are square, if not draw/glue your lure profile on both sides (of course noteing where the square lip end is and the routed part for the bottom hook hanger/s). If you want to make an aluminum profile, just stick your paper one on an Al sheet, roughly cut out with snips and then put it on the sander to finish it off, sanders eat aluminum.

Resized to 37% (was 877 x 658) - Click image to enlargePosted Image

Check that your wire harness fits snugly in the routed grooves, not loose, if it is loose just sand (within reason) a bit off each face until it is snug to tight, when you glue and clamp the halves later, life will be so much easier if the harness is a good snug fit.

Resized to 41% (was 799 x 599) - Click image to enlargePosted Image

I now have two halves (8mm x 20mm x 80)), place the routed edges together, the bottom hook hanger slots should approximately line up and the lip end should be square. Now you don't have to align with dowels etc. Get the finest panel pins (fine nails) you can find, for me these would be about 1mm x 12mm long (enough to pass through the top half and about 4mm into the second half), square everything up and nail the two pieces together (without wire harness), nailing about 1/3 from each end or where you know the saw blade (for lip slot) will not hit it, or where you want to drill holes for eyes etc. If possible don't pre-drill these pin holes. Now if everything was flush and square, you should get a nice tight join.

Resized to 41% (was 799 x 599) - Click image to enlargePosted Image

Now cut the lip slot, this is where you're blank, being square and centered, really pays off.
Either use a tenon saw, hack saw, band saw, circular saw, whatever rocks your bait, I use a very fine home made circular saw blade, hooked up to a sewing machine motor, the slot is very fine @ 1mm wide, that's the thickness of the Poly carbonate bibs I use. For some of these bigger lures you could use an adze, and as long as it is square, finish up with a great job. Whatever you use, square the blade to the lure or use a set square to draw a line. Again I use jigs for about three different lip angles (and for just about everything I make).

O.K --Lip slot, harness grooves are done and it is all pinned together and coincidentally, if you normally place the lip in before you start painting, you have a nice centre line to eyeball with.
You should now be ready to sand the lure to shape - WARNING - If you use a high speed sander (some belt, drum, dermal etc) you should be aware that those steel pins you inserted can create tiny sparks while you are sanding. So take the dust bag off, or you may come back to the basement/ shed and find a smoldering dust bag or worse a flaming building.

Resized to 41% (was 798 x 599) - Click image to enlargePosted Image

I use a disc sander I made with a motor from a free standing (i.e. portable) evaporative cooler (not sure what you call them there), I picked it up at the rubbish tip for $10. Just pull the pelton fan blades off both ends of the motor and you have a low revving 4 speed double shafted SEALED electric motor. They are usually, 3 or 4 speed (about 250 rpm max); the motors are sealed, so no sparks/arching (sealed because they operate in a very humid atmosphere), a shaft comes off both sides of the motor, so you can put a disc on both ends (fine & coarse)!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!.

What do I mean by an evaporative cooler ?  Google it or
Evaporative coolers use a fan or blower to draw in outside air and pass it through a wet filter. As hot, dry air moves through the filter the water evaporates, cooling and humidifying the air. The cooled air is then blown through the room or house.

Right, you have sanded your bait down and you like it - now is a good time to fine sand it, while the wire is not in the way don't bother doing around the joint , because you will have to do it again when you later glue it up.

http://i206.photobuc...ploads/tw17.jpg
When you finish sanding, insert a small flat screw driver in the rear hanger hole and gently pries the two halves apart, don't remove the pins from the halves. Put your wire in the slots you have routed, with any weight you want to add (maybe lay soldering wire along the slot), organize how you are going to clamp the halves after gluing (vice, tape, paper clamps etc), mix up some Devcon 2 Ton or Araldite etc (30 min, not 5 minute) and spread over the wire and lure halves, then line up the pins/nails, (you did not remove), press together making sure there is no glue in the bib slot and get it ready to clamp.

You should find the halves line up close to perfect; you may have to giggle the wire a bit here, so it all lays snug in the slots. Wipe off excess glue with denatured alcohol (called methylated spirits here) and let it set, it's best to hang it on a drying wheel if you have one, so the glue does not run from the holes.

Resized to 32% (was 1024 x 349) - Click image to enlargePosted Image

If the wire gets in the way when you insert the lip, punch or drill a large hole in the lip to allow clearance.
Have fun .Pete
fletch View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
Kuttafurra Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fletch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug 2011 at 8:09pm
very cool . will be giving it a go .... thanks for putting it up ....... cheers aaron
Screamingreel View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Screamingreel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug 2011 at 8:23pm
Pete  Great Post 
 I am amazed the number of ways available to insert wire into a lure.
regards John
puglee62 View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Fugly Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote puglee62 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 2011 at 8:19pm
good thread Pete
yotmon View Drop Down
Unverified New Member
Unverified New Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yotmon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 2011 at 10:50pm
Quite informative - will have to have a go, cheers !
hazmail View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Rayna Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hazmail Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2011 at 1:20am
Thanks everyone, it's a bit dated I know but some of it is still relevant--
I never stop trying to make things a bit quicker for myself (I hope), I'm onto Aluminum foiling /scales  now, should keep me going for another 6 months.
Pete
oog663 View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Oogs Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oog663 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2011 at 7:57am
12.20 am post Pete, late night in the Shed LOLLOL 

Steve
puglee62 View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Fugly Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote puglee62 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2011 at 2:23pm
ive seen this method done many times before Pete but i think its the first time ive seen it done with jigs and power tools which is definately a plus if you have a lot of lures to make.thanks for putting it up mateThumbs Up
Nicho View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Nichos Maulers

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nicho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2011 at 2:47pm
pete,
you never cease to amaze me...........I think when that vans done you need to spend a day or two in my shed, sorting out my lure making antics.............. could actually take a bit longer than a day or two to sort come to think of itConfusedLOL
Jas
Nichos Maulers Homemade timber lures....THEY CATCH FISH!

YA DONT KNOW...IF YA DONT GO...SO GET OUT THERE AND... FISH IT
hazmail View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Rayna Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hazmail Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2011 at 10:20pm
Jas- soon mate, I just have to get my bongo in order.
Steve- yeah, more like a late morning, spent that night studying how to print scales onto foil, two cups of hot chocolate and I still wasn't tired.
Pete
jackal View Drop Down
Unverified New Member
Unverified New Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jackal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2015 at 2:23pm
Great article, no hit and miss here, great quality, thanks for sharing it with us.
regards jackal
steiny View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steiny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2015 at 3:14pm
Great instructional post Pete...well done mate!
cheers steiny
Strangalures View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Strangalures Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2015 at 8:35pm
Thanks Pete
Great of you to take the time to tell us where to find those motors for sanding , I've been trying to look for something like that for ages.
I'll be keeping an eye out for one of these at the tip shops
Cheers Rick
Fish Choking Lures :)
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic