Forum Home Forum Home > Australian Lures > QLD Lures > C Lures
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

A couple of old Leads???

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
LureLovers.com Guide
LureLovers.com Guide

Beta Tester

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oldman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: A couple of old Leads???
    Posted: 14 Dec 2009 at 7:43pm
I was told these were old Leads.
Hopefully someone can verify that for me.

CaptainCranky View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Guide
LureLovers.com Guide
Beta Tester

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CaptainCranky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec 2009 at 9:04pm
I think Laurie if they were old Leads they would have Terry's handwritten signature under the bib.Not sure.
The Journey is the Reward

Oldman View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Guide
LureLovers.com Guide

Beta Tester

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oldman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec 2009 at 9:08pm
Barry
Nothing at all on them.
Laurie.
LureLovers.com Guide
LureLovers.com Guide
Beta Tester

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CaptainCranky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec 2009 at 9:35pm
Laurie I have just ducked out in the yard and dug up all my leads and it is hard to find anything resembling yours.Untill I get to Terry we may never know.

Manny P View Drop Down
Beginner Member
Beginner Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Manny P Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2010 at 12:19pm
Hi fellow collector's! The two lures pictured here are Carl Grist CL3 prototypes. Not Terry Leadbetter Lures. What gives it away it is the shape of the metal bib on the yellow lure in the middle picture which is exactly the same as the zincanneal bibs that Carl himself gave me well over 25 years ago when I stayed with him and Judy in Cooktown.  The bib on the other lure is a shallow diving bib which Carl used to put on both CL3's and Cooktown Tigers. It is handy to know that Carl used to experiment with bib design and often used to incorporate bibs from one model into new designs with great effect.  For example,  I have a Giant Herring design from Carl in a deep diving profile which dives to some 4 metres or so which incorporates the CL4 bib which as you know Carl uses on his mackeral trolling patterns.  Similarly, Carl has used the zincanneal Baby Cooktown Tiger deep and shallow bibs and zincanneal Cooktown Tiger bibs for use in his many herring patterns and designs to great effect.  Manny P

P. S.  I am a brand new member of LureLovers.com and have an extensive collection of Carl Grist lures and some Lead's lures as I used to sell them here in Brisbane. As my digital camera is in for repairs at the moment, I can't show you the lures I refer to in the latter part of my discussion above but as soon as it is fixed, I will post some photos.  My collection runs mostly brand to new baby tiger deeps all in the original Carl Crist patterns and colours.  I didn't bother keeping shallows as my philosophy is that you can always make a deep diving lure work in shallow water but the reverse doesn't apply! Cooktown Tigers, CL3s and Herrings of all shapes and sizes.  Again, all in original patterns and colours.
Manny P View Drop Down
Beginner Member
Beginner Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Manny P Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2010 at 12:28pm
Correction in My First Posting

With respect to my P.S in the last posting, I dealt only in Carl Grist lures here in Brisbane and did not sell any Terry Leadbetter lures as I did not have any communication with Terry.

Regards,

Manny P
Tony View Drop Down
Admin
Admin
Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tony Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2010 at 2:39pm
Hi Manny and Welcome to LureLovers Smile

Thank you for sharing your knowledge Clap

I'm an admirer of FNQ Lures, although have much to learn (the more I know, the more I know I don't know!) Big smile

After reading your post I compared some CL3's to them and the shape is certainly similar, I guess the broader shoulders may be what threw me, I've looked at these a few times and tried to figure their secret without success Smile

I look forwards to seeing your collection and learning more about these great lures. I only have a small collection of C Lures, although they are certainly amongst my favourites!

There are several other fans of Carl's work here, and I'm sure you'll get to know them soon as we chat about these great lures. Thumbs Up

Here's the pics along with a pic of 3 CL3's and a couple of other Carl Grist Lures for comparison

Cheers, Tony

For the love of Fishing Lures.
Manny P View Drop Down
Beginner Member
Beginner Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Manny P Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2010 at 4:01pm
Thank you for your introduction, Tony.  To be absolutely certain that they were either Carl's or Terry's lures, it would be helpful to check for the writing underneath each of the bibs as both Carl and Terry had a habit of individuallly endorsing their work as you all well know!

To throw a spanner in the works, I do believe that Carl sometimes had a habit of sending some of his bib prototypes to other makers for their comment and I do know that he and Jeff Reid had such an association.  So I wouldn't be at all surprised if Terry Leadbetter and Carl had compared notes on various lure designs etc as Carl was always very willing to impart his knowledge and skill to others and particularly so if they were keen and willing to learn.

However, despite the third sentence and notwithstanding, I stand by my assertion that the lures were crafted, assembed and painted by Grist.

Kind regards,

Manny P.
Tony View Drop Down
Admin
Admin
Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tony Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2010 at 4:21pm
Thanks Manny,

Yes it can get confusing sometimes, a lot of collaboration has gone on between luremakers and generally that's been for the better of us all in helping great lures evolve. Henry Hall showed us a great example of this last week when he rolled out a few of the prototype Prop-A-Pop-A's he made for Jeff Reid, and there's a member here with an awesome Moller that Peter Newell was given by Eric Moller, and countless other examples (each of them great to know about, to try and get an idea of who was collaborating with who'm)

I hope it didn't seem I was questioning you Manny, as I have no reason to Smile (the written word can be tricky at times!) - I am definately a novice when it comes to understanding the early lures, although thanks to others sharing like yourself I am slowly beginning to understand just how much I don't know LOL

I imagine Laurie will be well pleased to find the history of these two, very nice indeed! And thanks again for sharing your knowledge on these Manny Thumbs Up

Cheers, Tony

Manny P View Drop Down
Beginner Member
Beginner Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Manny P Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2010 at 5:15pm
Thanks Tony,

I agree with you that the written word can be tricky at times and I at no time hold myself out as being anything other than an absolute novice when it comes down to knowing everything about the early lures. I only caught a glimpse of what Carl was doing during a fortnight's stay with him many years ago.  That doesn't make me an expert.  In many ways you guys would have it all over me in terms of overall knowledge of the various types and ranges of the various lures that were available in the early years.  Not to mention the practical fishing application.

I think the important thing is is that the history of Australian luremaking is not lost to future generations of fisherman  through neglect or apathy and that the efforts of people like yourself in keeping us interested in forums like this one be encouraged and rewarded.

To this end, I didn't for a second feel that you were questioning me, Tony.  I was commenting on my own confusing comment!  From what I can see, you run several great forums and I dip my lid to you...What were you saying about the written word again?  I hope that Laurie and others will be as pleased with my comments as I have and will continue to be with those on this and other forums.

Keep up the great work!

Cheers,

Manny P.

Tony View Drop Down
Admin
Admin
Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tony Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2010 at 5:47pm
Thanks Manny, it must have been great fun to spend several weeks with Carl. If you have any recollections at all you'd like to share I guarantee you have at least one willing ear!

I'd love to meet Carl myself and thank him for making such great lures, although I hope he wouldn't mind me asking a big list of questions! Big smile

p.s. I only run the one forum, although I do gladly also help out the Kadaitcha Club where I can - some great changes about to happen soon on that front I believe Wink

Cheers, Tony

simon bruce View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Guide
LureLovers.com Guide

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote simon bruce Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2010 at 6:39pm
Some good info there Manny - can't wait to see your C lures.

@oldman nice lures regardless but nice to find out a bit more about them.
LureLovers.com Guide
LureLovers.com Guide
Beta Tester

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CaptainCranky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2010 at 10:22pm
Well I have not found any C lures Or Terry:s here in Japan yet but I have been looking real hard at many tackle shops.Bloody freezing here.
Yesterday I found a wooden early Tilsen in the packaging as well as an early RMG in the 60mm size Scorpion.
Thousands of lures here and in the middle of a huge wall of them is 2 Aussie lures that someone traded in on something else.
Will check my emails when I can.
Welcome to all our new members who have joined since the 10th Feb.
Regards Barry

Tony View Drop Down
Admin
Admin
Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tony Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2010 at 11:29pm
Hey Gday Barry!

I hope you and Karen are having a great trip, and look forwards to catching up when you get back home to defrost! Can't wait to hear all about it! Smile

Cheers, Tony

LureLovers.com Guide
LureLovers.com Guide
Beta Tester

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CaptainCranky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2010 at 10:35pm
Dear Laurie,have some great news for you re your 2 big lures you thought may be Leads.
On speaking with Carl Grist and sending him the pics of the lures he assures me they are Jeff Reids lures with his bibs.The lures were made on the copy lathe.
Carl explained to me he was good friends with Jeff and it was a mutual exchange of resources at the time.Hope this clears it up for.

Oldman View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Guide
LureLovers.com Guide

Beta Tester

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oldman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2010 at 11:01pm
Barry
No disrespect to Carl or Terry, but that is GREAT news.
Thanks for your help.
Laurie.
LureLovers.com Guide
LureLovers.com Guide
Beta Tester

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CaptainCranky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2010 at 7:51am

No worries Laurie,I hope in the future to get more info from Carl when he is available for a chat.

LureLovers.com Guide
LureLovers.com Guide
Beta Tester

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CaptainCranky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 2010 at 4:39pm
Laurie,Have just recieved another call from Carl and it appears I jumped the gun with the 2 lures for ID.
Carl says that they were made by Peter Munt using his C lure Bibs.
Sorry about the mixup.
On speaking with Carl he said that Peter called into Cooktown and Carl Asked him to make some 5 inch or so barra lures and gave him some of his bibs to use.'Initially it was thought to be Jeff Reid.Hope this settles it .

Tony View Drop Down
Admin
Admin
Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tony Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 2010 at 5:12pm
Very interesting Barry. I have a couple of Peter's lures here, they seem nicely made to!
Cheers, Tony

grey nomad View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote grey nomad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 2010 at 8:42pm
Tony, just found a lovely little 3" shallow Munt lure in white pearl,brand new, lucky i had it in a bag, plus 2 poppers one realy well chewed cause i used to use it a lot.
 Cheers, Carl
grey nomad View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote grey nomad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 2010 at 8:47pm
Meant to say sorry for the mixup, my fault not Barrys,to much to quick for the memory .
 Coming good now the brain has been defraged.

Cheers, Carl
Tony View Drop Down
Admin
Admin
Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tony Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 2010 at 9:16pm
Originally posted by grey nomad grey nomad wrote:

Tony, just found a lovely little 3" shallow Munt lure in white pearl,brand new, lucky i had it in a bag, plus 2 poppers one realy well chewed cause i used to use it a lot.
 Cheers, Carl

Very nice find Carl, the pearly one sounds nice, I haven't seen Peter's poppers before.

The top three here I'm fairly sure are Peter's lures, although I wasn't sure about the bottom one. After reading the info you shared with Barry I think it might be, as I think the bib looks very similar to one of yours?

Cheers, Tony

davez104 View Drop Down
Unverified New Member
Unverified New Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote davez104 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 2010 at 9:34pm
Nice lures.

Where do you get the little acrylic cradles from Tony?

Dave.
Tony View Drop Down
Admin
Admin
Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tony Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2010 at 12:26am
Gday Dave,

I got them from ebay US, you should find them if you search for "lure display stand" Thumbs Up

They are particularly handy for when you're taking photo's.

I had considered getting some made up in China, but wouldn't know where to start Confused

Cheers, Tony

davez104 View Drop Down
Unverified New Member
Unverified New Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote davez104 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2010 at 8:02am
Thanks mate, I'll have a look.

Dave.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic