LURELOVERS™ Australian Fishing Lure Community Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Lure Discussion > Fishing with Lures > Fishing Destinations
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Newcastle Jew

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Industry Member
Industry Member

Illusion Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fishaholic5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Newcastle Jew
    Posted: 26 Oct 2011 at 3:04pm
There are a few bridges around Newcastle that produce jew on lures, heres a few pics..
It can feel a little surreal at times luring while cars and trucks are wizzing past, but its well worth it when it all comes together.
Illusion Lures
reelsandlures63 View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reelsandlures63 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct 2011 at 4:45pm
now they are deffinatly some nice fish thanks for posting the pics
Screamingreel View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Screamingreel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct 2011 at 7:41pm
Interesting, any lighting in the area ,or caught  in the dark. Something different.
thanks for posting
regards John
Nicho View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Nichos Maulers

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nicho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct 2011 at 7:57pm
nice work wal.................good looking jew, and on lures.........that would be fun!
Go the Knights.
Jas
Nichos Maulers Homemade timber lures....THEY CATCH FISH!

YA DONT KNOW...IF YA DONT GO...SO GET OUT THERE AND... FISH IT
horrorhead View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLover of the Year 2020

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horrorhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct 2011 at 9:18pm

Top photos of a top fish. Still to crack a jewie on a lure. Havn't been able to give it much of a burl though. Do you work the tides, or solunar charts or the moon or something else? Martin

Martin-

you don't havta be pretty to fish
barneyminno View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Deep River Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote barneyminno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 2011 at 7:26am
Very nice fish Wal! what lures are your favourites and how do you use them?
Tides? moon phase?
lve never had a go at jewies on lure....but will do next winter.
cheers,
Barney.
fishaholic5 View Drop Down
Industry Member
Industry Member

Illusion Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fishaholic5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 2011 at 2:43pm

I'm not sure if i can give you any majic formula.

Time and persistance, working out each spot and where the fish are when and why are the keys. Jew can be caught on hardbodies in the estuary year round on any moon phase.
 Bridges with hard shadow lines from lights produce a lot of fish, but unlit bridges with structure are also productive. Wet overcast days and discoloured water are worth fishing.
 Tides vary depending on the physical characteristics of each spot, generally the end and start of the run in or out and slack water are good, some bridges work best on highs, some on lows. Some only fire on a particular tide height, which may mean fishing the middle of a run.
 YOU DONT NEED DEEP WATER. Structure and bait are more important  
 I use lures between 6 and 16cm, not all jew are big. Those around 12cm are the most productive. interestingly this is roughly the width of a 40lb jews mouth.
 Steady retreives work best for me.
 Jew will often tap a lure several times before they take it. Most strikes are a bit like walking into a wall and they need to be struck to set the hooks.

Hope this helps
       Wal
Illusion Lures
barneyminno View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Deep River Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote barneyminno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 2011 at 5:26pm
Thanks Wal , duly noted Smile
Barney.
horrorhead View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLover of the Year 2020

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horrorhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 2011 at 7:33pm
Thanks Wal. I have heard a lot about luring jewies. But I like your advice because 1/ you have the runs on the board and 2/ you are open to other scenarios without discounting them. Martin
Martin-

you don't havta be pretty to fish
goldtrev68 View Drop Down
Ex Member.
Ex Member.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote goldtrev68 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2012 at 6:20pm
that is so wrong it hurts
Industry Member
Industry Member

Illusion Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fishaholic5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2012 at 2:30pm
LOLLOLLOL I dont use plastics much, but with a little helpWired
a few years back I came up with a swimming head for midwater and surface fishing with plastics that imparts an accentuated body roll. In my opinion most actively feeding Jew are in that zone or will come up in  the water column to look at a lure.

Cheers
Wal
Illusion Lures
Industry Member
Industry Member

Illusion Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fishaholic5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2012 at 7:57pm
I had a bit of a dig around and found a couple of the old swimming head prototypes, pretty roughWink 
they  worked well around bridges and off the beach at night, especially around shallow reefy areas and let me work a rubber tail dead slow with a straight retreive. It creates more action than the swimming shad designs currently on the market from Storm, Tsunami and the like. 

Cheers
Wal

Illusion Lures
Industry Member
Industry Member

Illusion Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fishaholic5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2012 at 8:44am

Running a Whistler fly or similar or a soft plastic rigged on a dropper around a foot in front of a lure can be useful too

Cheers
Wal
Illusion Lures
mullowaymatty View Drop Down
Unverified New Member
Unverified New Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mullowaymatty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2012 at 10:34am
nice stuff wal ill have to try fishing bridges more often im from newy miself
Mal Vader View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mal Vader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Dec 2012 at 11:07pm
I have baitfished for Bream, at night, my whole life.
On stormy nights, we(Dad and I) would hang close to the local bridge, so we could escape a downpour. Rowboats aren't fast.
Anchored up in the shadow, casting out into the light, or toward the piers, some Bream action could be counted on, even if it was a bit slower than where we normally fished.
Some nights, the Mullet Schools would 'Blow Out' of the water, WOW!!!
A Couple of Thousand Fish flogging the water to foam for a couple of seconds.
Focusing into the lit water from the edge of the shadow, we could see the schools of Mullet, Silhoetted.
They would swim accross and back, from bank to bank, all night.
Deeper focus indicated Large Shadows, below and behind the Mullet Schools.
Turns out, the large shadows were Jew, herding the Mullet Schools.
The explosions happened when they herded them tightly against the Bridge Piers, then SMASHED into them.
Matty, gimme a yell, I'll take ya out and show ya.
DARK LORD
In Space, no-one can hear you SCREAM!
stinger View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Dec 2012 at 11:26pm
malcom ,,,,spot on ive been at 1 bridge at newy in 1998 and saw just that... top stuff ,,,,,,,,,,id like to go back and have another go at them...cheers ROD
REMEMBER FOOLS RUSH IN WERE ANGELES FEAR TO TREAD
Mal Vader View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mal Vader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Dec 2012 at 11:32pm
 Rod, I'm always keen, and usually available.

DARK LORD
bassnbob View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
B.O.B Timber Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bassnbob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2013 at 7:37pm
BEEN some nice fish hit around the train bridges up the river over the last week nice full moon tooWinkWinkWinkWinkClapClapClapLOLregards bobLOL
Mal Vader View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mal Vader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2013 at 12:33am
You know the Bridge I fish, BOB.
It's MUCH different to the Rail Bridges of the Hunter.
DARK LORD
Industry Member
Industry Member

Illusion Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fishaholic5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2013 at 10:49am
They're heaps of fun on luresWink 

Cheers
Wal
Illusion Lures
bassnbob View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
B.O.B Timber Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bassnbob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2013 at 10:39am
A few jew have been caught this week in the pilot station in newcastle to 20kilo i think there here all year roundTongueTongueTongueTongueregards bob
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic