LURELOVERS™ Australian Fishing Lure Community Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Lure Making > Make your own Fishing Lures > Questions and Tips re carving your own fishing lures
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

envirotex lite

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Unverified New Member
Unverified New Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Codslayer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: envirotex lite
    Posted: 06 Nov 2011 at 6:50pm
Approx how many lures can be done with this 1 litre of this stuff? say 100mm cod lures. Smile
darcymenchin View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
Mencho Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darcymenchin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2011 at 8:45pm
Hi Ben ,
Two 1 liter bottles of this beaut product lasted me over one year and a lot of lures were coated in this time,
Regards Darcy.

Pearcey View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Dave Pearce Lures and OLM Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pearcey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2011 at 9:26am
never used this product before guys i wonder if you could give me some information on where to get it and how to use does it go over auto acrylics and such thank you, pearcey
flyonline View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flyonline Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2011 at 1:10pm
Pearcey

try http://www.riotstores.com.au/products/M/CLAY/PL/plaster-latex-resin/envirotex-lite-8oz-kit/100655.aspx - Riot are a chain shop so there might be one near you. http://www.amcsupplies.com.au/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=7_864 and http://www.aldaxstore.com.au/p/593431/envirotex-lite---pour-on---high-gloss-finish-500ml-aus-customers-only.html also have it at a cheaper price.

I picked up some Ultrathane which is a oil based Polyurethane designed for timber stadium floors. It's single component, so easy to use and first impressions look very good, nice and hard, quick re-coat time and I'm assuming that it's water safe as they steam clean the floors. It seems to have a really glossy finish too, I will report back after I've used it for some time.

Cheapish too at $22/L (I think, I got it for sale but the ticket underneath said $22).

Steve
Nicho View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Nichos Maulers

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nicho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2011 at 1:47pm
As darcy said..............great product...........but at first its a pain in the butt to use...........but after a lot of trial and error and patience, you become familiar with it............thanks to darcy I purchased this product 6 months ago, ive done countless lures and still have half of each bottle left....and mine are only half litre bottles............Id say you would get in the 100s before you run out.
Its taken me this long to understand a few things with it, but must say the finish is tough as nails and like a mirror............its handpainted on.....self levelling...........the ducks gutsThumbs Up
but if your not into learning over a fair bit of time .dont use it.
Jas
Nichos Maulers Homemade timber lures....THEY CATCH FISH!

YA DONT KNOW...IF YA DONT GO...SO GET OUT THERE AND... FISH IT
Pearcey View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Dave Pearce Lures and OLM Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pearcey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2011 at 3:09pm
not real keen on learning new techniques jas after all this time making lures, trial and error doesnt sit beside me anymore looks like i will stick to what i know works for me , pearcey 
puglee62 View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Fugly Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote puglee62 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2011 at 6:21pm

i can see where your coming from Dave,the problems associated with polyurethane,two pac and acrylic lacquer are enough to put anyone offCry

Poolie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Poolie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2012 at 7:09pm
I'm looking for a new type of clear to use over my water based acrylics, would I have any issues using this over them? I've heard of a bloke who puts this on first to seal the timer then paints over it and then uses it again as the clear coat, has anyone tried that before? I really want a hard finish that Owners won't punch holes in so any advise would be most appreciated.
Piatu View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Piatu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2012 at 7:32pm
Originally posted by flyonline flyonline wrote:

Pearcey

try http://www.riotstores.com.au/products/M/CLAY/PL/plaster-latex-resin/envirotex-lite-8oz-kit/100655.aspx - Riot are a chain shop so there might be one near you. http://www.amcsupplies.com.au/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=7_864 and http://www.aldaxstore.com.au/p/593431/envirotex-lite---pour-on---high-gloss-finish-500ml-aus-customers-only.html also have it at a cheaper price.

I picked up some Ultrathane which is a oil based Polyurethane designed for timber stadium floors. It's single component, so easy to use and first impressions look very good, nice and hard, quick re-coat time and I'm assuming that it's water safe as they steam clean the floors. It seems to have a really glossy finish too, I will report back after I've used it for some time.

Cheapish too at $22/L (I think, I got it for sale but the ticket underneath said $22).

Steve

If i need hard clearcoat i nowtimes use urethane based one-component varnish.
Its mainly used for cement and wood when need extra hard coatings.

Very easy to use and harder than epoxy...as glossy finish too than my regular clearcoat and epoxy.
http://www.facebook.com/petri.muuttoranta

www.fishskinlures.com
Nicho View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Nichos Maulers

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nicho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2012 at 8:00pm
envirotex is great but expect heartache till you work it out......otherwise i love it....also takes 4 times the effort than spraying .....so if you want to push out huge quantities and count your  hrs.... might not be your thing.
Jas

tooch View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
Twitchy Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tooch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2012 at 8:31am
Hi Guys, Try spraying it at a mix of four parts thinners to
one part envirotex and see how it comes out...WinkWinkWinkWinkWink....Pete.
I'd rather be fishing with

Mcleod View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder

Macquarie Customs

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mcleod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2012 at 11:50am
Just follow the instructions and you will be fine. Two things I have picked up while using this stuff which may help you,

1. Get yourself some flexcoat (or any epoxy) syringes and mount them in the bottle caps. That way when you measure, you flip the bottle and extract exact amount of part A and part B every time. Envirotex can be real tricky if you dont use exact quantities and these syringes take the guess work out everytime. Dont understimate how different the quanties can be if you pour to measure. Dont skimp either and think normal syringes will work, they dont in my experience. The silicon contained in the plunger head will cause fish eye's. If you have an old 5 minute epoxy dual syringe about, clean it out and fill each side with Envirotex parts. Same as Flexcoat syringes, exact amounts each time Big smile

2. Dont worry about the bubbles. You have to mix this stuff for a good minute and it will be full of bubbles. The bubles can be removed by exhailing on the bait after application. The CO2 in your breath burst's them. I use a straw to blow over the bait once rotating. I have also used a hair dryer but find the straw most effective. Your other option is to remove the bubbles once mixed. You should have enough working time to blow with straw over the mixture to remove bubbles and then apply.

I find this stuff to be a very rewarding epoxy that produces a good shine and is tough. Not as tough as say Devcon 2 Ton in my opinion but it wont crack on impact like Devcon can. Devcon is a glue epoxy so creates a very rigid bond where-as EnviroTex is a pour on Epoxy and remains more flexible.

Poolie,

I use e-tex under paint all the time and then topcoat with it too. If you are using water based I dont think you will have any issues. Just make sure the etex is dry before you paint it. As it is dry you will be able to sand it well and give some good key for the paint. Then topcoat and it will come up a treat. As I understand water based paints, their adhesion to both substrate and topcoat is reliant on mechanical bond so good key in the epoxy should give good paint adhesion. I would guess the paint will dry and look matt finish thus giving good key to adhere to the topcoat.

Hope this helps,

Angus
beer-breath View Drop Down
Unverified New Member
Unverified New Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote beer-breath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2015 at 7:46am
This is all i use and its the best thing ever, for me anyway.
Never had any problems with it, but there are things to watch out for.
Make sure you use exact equal amounts, otherwise it may not ever harden completely.
Also, they say to not use it if humidity is high, that will also affect its hardening.
Those may sound like big deals, but ivechad no problems with them.
Very important to have a turning device for the lures to slowly rotate as they dry. I made mine with a bbq rotisserie, but ive seen guys use even an old disco light motor.
Try the stuff, you'll love it.
And ive heard the bubble problem, but again, hasnt been an issue for,me.
puglee62 View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Fugly Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote puglee62 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2015 at 12:51pm
ive got a rotisse made from a microwave oven motor works a treat Mike,
that's no how ye make porridge!
Balls View Drop Down

Scurvy Dog Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Balls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2015 at 5:22pm
G'day all

I use Envirotex as a second coat over an epoxy called Megapoxy for nudes, the Megapoxy is thinner & seals the lure, the second coat is Megapoxy over the eyes & body, light hit with green kitchen scourer before hitting with the Envirotex as the final coat, its thicker & sets up a nice finish for nudes.

On any lures with a candytone finish, eg candy tone paint over glitter etc I dip them in Wattyl Slate Clear, as it seals quickly & the candy tone won't then run when the final coat of Envirotex is applied. I still use light hit with scourer before applying epoxy. I have also used the same technique recently with autoacrylic paints & using the Envirotex instead of 2pac clears, no dramas to date, although the Envirotex isn't as hard as some of the other epoxies, everyone will have different opinions on this!!

As all of the other said, mixing ratios is really important.

A couple of tips or other things to be aware of, if you are handling the lures before applying epoxy the oil from your skin can cause problems with the epoxy not bonding or wanting to run away from that spot, I think someone called it fish eyes, if you keep touching it up it will normally sort it out, but better just to handle with clean dust free cloth or similar to attach to rotator if you intend to go that way.

Rotators, check out the speed of the rotation, if its to quick you have trouble applying the epoxy, assuming you do more then one lure at a time, microwave motors are usually a pretty good speed, some other motors you maybe able to attach a light dimmer swith to adapt speed.

Work in well lighted area, natural light is even better, helps to not have any missed spots on the lure when applying epoxy.

I place cardboard in the bib slot & remove once I have applied epoxy & am happy with the coverage, so remove cardboard pretty well once applied to keep bib slot pretty clean.

I usually have some blanks or weighted lures ready to assemble if I have any excess epoxy rather then waste it.

In Darwin, dust, cockies, doves flying into the shed, epoxying under lights of a night = bugs, kids placing plastic bags near the lures can all end up in grief, so consider where you intend to work with the epoxy. Once I apply the epoxy I stay away from them until I know they will be close to cured, then remove & hang until morning, that just makes it easier to release them from the screw ins I use to hold the lure in place on rotator, if I leave it too long & they are fully cured I just use a lighter on the screw in from a brief time & the lure can be removed easily.

No epoxy will stop toothy critters from breaching the wood covered epoxy, toothless critters will eventually wear thru also & all treble hooks will eventually also take their toll, however the epoxy will hold up better than two pac clears etc, once it happens lures done the job, make another one, cheers Balls.
Scurvy Dog
Blinky View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Blinky's Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blinky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2015 at 5:39pm
Re the oil from fingers causing fish eyes, immediately prior to epoxying I give them a spray with Ardrox Precleaner, an extremely rapid evaporating degreaser.
Blinky.

Blinky's Lures.
The lures that catch fish, not fishermen.........
Facebook
Slothy View Drop Down
Unverified New Member
Unverified New Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Slothy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2015 at 12:19am
Originally posted by Blinky Blinky wrote:

Re the oil from fingers causing fish eyes, immediately prior to epoxying I give them a spray with Ardrox Precleaner, an extremely rapid evaporating degreaser.

Can this stuff be used with water-based acrylic paints such as Wicked Colours?

Unverified New Member
Unverified New Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote beer-breath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2015 at 3:17am
I havent found anything it wont work with.
Most important will be to make sure all the paint work is completely dry.
Blinky View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Blinky's Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blinky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2015 at 9:51am
Originally posted by Slothy Slothy wrote:

Envirotex or the precleaner?
Blinky.

Blinky's Lures.
Facebook
Slothy View Drop Down
Unverified New Member
Unverified New Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Slothy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2015 at 2:33pm

The precleaner.

I've been using Envirotex on acrylics since I started but have constant issues with "fisheyes"  I tried metho but that simply removes the paint regardless of how long it's had to fully dry. 

Nicho View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Nichos Maulers

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Nicho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2015 at 2:51pm

The precleaner.

I've been using Envirotex on acrylics since I started but have constant issues with "fisheyes"  I tried metho but that simply removes the paint regardless of how long it's had to fully dry. 

hi slothy,
I only use envirotex lite...rarely get a fisheye, if so its generally due to my impatience or lack of cleanliness.
SOME TIMBER eg OLD RED CEDAR may at times get fisheyes or more bubbles than usual....
A good start is to mix the 2 parts for several minutes ensuring a good even mix, then walk away and let the mix settle for up to 15 minutes,less or more depending on the mix and temperature... then apply, you will get less bubble or fisheye this way.
Applying as soon as you stop mixing has no benefits and if anything adds to more problems...so be patient.
If the fisheye is on the first coat(and it will be if cleanliness was the issue) don't touch it...let it dry and apply the second coat, since its self levelling the fish eye is simply filled in and you wont know it was there....if you try to remove it you will just add to your woes.
so again simply cleanliness and patience.

Blinky View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Blinky's Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Blinky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2015 at 2:59pm

The precleaner.

I use it on all types of acrylic paints, plastic, my hands, everything, it's manufactured not to have any detrimental effects. It's a Non-destructive Testing product, so should be available at any welding supplies place.
Blinky.

Blinky's Lures.
Facebook
New Signing View Drop Down
Unverified New Member
Unverified New Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote New Signing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2016 at 8:30am
I had my first go with E-tex last night and for the most part im pretty happy with how it went. I just have a couple of questions:

- I noticed before i started the resin had crystalised in the bottle so i had to heat it up so i could get it into the syringe. Does this happen often? or is it just a result of living in cold old Goulburn?

- I had all of the lures i had made on my rotiserie that i made recently and most of them turned out fine. Unfortunately my favourite that really resembles a small yellowbelly has one spot where the e-tex has caused a bit of a lump i guess you'd call it. Can i just sand that back and apply a second coat of E-tex?

- Am i better off waiting until the weather warms up before doing anymore work with e-tex?

I also saw somewhere else people using a foam brush instead of the traditional bristled brush so i invested in a heap off ebay. Seemed to work pretty well 
Unverified New Member
Unverified New Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote beer-breath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 2017 at 5:00am
not that it would be a big problem down under, but here in canadaland, I found this out the hard way. do not leave this product stored out in the garage or shed, etc in the winter. bring it indoors. I had the second largest size of this, and after a couple years of use, I still had half left in the bottles. but it got too cold out in the garage and ruined it. not the hardener really, but the other one, just completely jelled. and of course the hardener is useless on it's own, so it was quite a loss/waste. so now I replaced it with smaller sized bottles, that way, less of a loss if I make that mistake again.
New Signing View Drop Down
Unverified New Member
Unverified New Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote New Signing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2017 at 2:31pm
I solved my issue by simply heating some water and sitting the bottle in it for a while. Came good and was right to use again
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic