LURELOVERS™ Australian Fishing Lure Community Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Lure Discussion > Fishing with Lures > Favourite Lure by species
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

What's your favourite Tailor lure?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Industry Member
Industry Member

Illusion Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fishaholic5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: What's your favourite Tailor lure?
    Posted: 09 Nov 2011 at 5:08pm
Thought I'd add Tailor to this section.
 My favourites would be Lasers or Raiders in metals, poppers or my Wedgetails
    A couple of good Tailor from the Nsw North coast

Cheers
Wal 
Illusion Lures
Nicho View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Nichos Maulers

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nicho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2011 at 5:25pm
cracka fish those ones be pushing 9 kg that bottom fella?
Jas
Nichos Maulers Homemade timber lures....THEY CATCH FISH!

YA DONT KNOW...IF YA DONT GO...SO GET OUT THERE AND... FISH IT
horrorhead View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLover of the Year 2020

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horrorhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2011 at 6:32pm
Huge tailor - thought they only got that big in WA or America. My fav tailor lures are Abu Toby type spoons and worked slowly. If they are smaking fast moving lures, then I like any of the Lazer / Raider or traditional metal lures like slices. Martin
Martin-

you don't havta be pretty to fish
puglee62 View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Fugly Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote puglee62 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2011 at 8:47pm
caught a zillion tailor on my Bandicoots,but the old raiders are good too
fishaholic5 View Drop Down
Industry Member
Industry Member

Illusion Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fishaholic5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2011 at 9:33pm
Tailor over 2kg are regular bycatch while spinning for jew from the QLD border to at least as far south as Brooms Head, probably further. The top one went 4kg clean not sure about the other, I didn't weigh it, I was too busy chasing Jew at the time.

Cheers
 Wal  
Illusion Lures
bilge View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
Bill Jackson Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bilge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2011 at 10:25pm
Maverick Taipan In green yellow & white. We also get big Tailor in SA the bottom one was 15.5lb  Billj
The older I get the more I learn.
Screamingreel View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Screamingreel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2011 at 6:12am
taylor chromed lures in K mart yesterday ranging from $7-00 to $11-00 each  I was lucky to get mine for 17cents and 50cents  each when a store in Brisbane decided to get out of fishing gear.
Interesting to know the break down for the cost of the item.

Regards John
bassnbob View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
B.O.B Timber Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bassnbob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2011 at 6:24am
IAM with martin on this one TOBYs just kill em & the wonder pillyBig smileregards bob
bassnbob View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
B.O.B Timber Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bassnbob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2013 at 2:09pm
WHATs your FAV tailor lureBig smileBig smileBig smileBig smileBig smile
Ducks View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ducks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2013 at 2:16pm
Anything cheap. Definitely fun on walk the dog types but gets costly when they keep hitting the leader.
bassnbob View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
B.O.B Timber Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bassnbob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2013 at 4:20pm
DUCKS they do like thst style of lure thats for sureWinkBig smileBig smileBig smileregards bob
bluey View Drop Down
Unverified New Member
Unverified New Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bluey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2013 at 5:13pm
ABU Toby Slim, make a difference
horrorhead View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLover of the Year 2020

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horrorhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2013 at 6:10pm
Abu Toby type lures for me as well, after that the trad chromed slices and lead slugs.
Martin-

you don't havta be pretty to fish
Davent View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Davent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2013 at 9:52pm
Toby,s like everyone else, as well as wonder pilchards when it was windy, I always used overheads.
Used to fish with a re built Alvey rod, short butt, so used to thumb the reel with my left hand, use my right arm up towards the stripper guide, got plenty of funny looks when i moved south, but my casting distance was as good as anyone's. Started with a seascape, then diawa sea line 50H, then a speed master, then back to diawa slosh.....haven't used anything like that for about 12 years, except a hand full of casts on the GBR and Give.
Mal Vader View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mal Vader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2013 at 12:14am
BOB, that simple popper, with the Swansea Flathead Lures, on your wall.
This single lure alone has accounted for over 1000 Tailor, in Lake Macquarie.
None under 2kg (odd, but true), half a dozen, or so, over 5kg.
Bro In Law and I would drift, in the row boat, casting to the edges of the schools.
On 3kg mono, they would not break far from the school, towing the little boat more than we would tow them.
This would keep us with the school, so next hookup was rarely a long wait.
Mother In Law Fish to me!
The look of disbelief on faces watching us as we released them, was classic!
Cheers   MAL
DARK LORD
In Space, no-one can hear you SCREAM!
Screamingreel View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Screamingreel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2013 at 10:10am
Clear plastic tubing or green tubing it last longer and relatively inexpensive when losses occur.

Regards John
bassnbob View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
B.O.B Timber Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bassnbob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2013 at 5:46pm
I do like the long 3 treble REBELS /rapalas etc caught alot of fish on them in the 80sBig smileBig smileBig smileregards bob
Mal Vader View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mal Vader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2013 at 12:19am
Back in the 80s, they'd eat sh#t sandwiches ErmmErmmErmm,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
If they liked bread! LOLLOLLOLLOLLOLClapClapClap
Caught quite a few on Chrome, Hex shaped slices that had a hole through the middle (cant remember their name)
Problem with them was, if you lost the little red 'tag' on the hook end, bite rate was halved.
Cheers   MAL
DARK LORD
bilge View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
Bill Jackson Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bilge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2013 at 9:06am
 Mal
Was that the Halco smelly or similar. originally came with as small  piece of sponge to be doped with fish oil of some kind. If sponge was removed they generated some turbulence through the hole

billj
The older I get the more I learn.
CaptainCranky View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Guide
LureLovers.com Guide
Beta Tester

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CaptainCranky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2013 at 9:31am
1oz silver toby for small ones and for the large fish I used 7" Bill Normans or White Speed King minnows.
Mid 70's to early 80's.Used to love Tailor fishin
Back in the day I had a 12ft Clark with a 9.9hp Evinrude and fished off the rocks on all the offshore islands on the coast between Hat Head and Woolie.
I had some very scarey moments back then landing and disembarking the islands however the fishing was fantastic.
Those were the Days
The Journey is the Reward

bassnbob View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
B.O.B Timber Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bassnbob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2013 at 1:35pm
SOME nice ledges around stations creek area hey barry some big talior in the suds thereWinkWinkLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLBig smileTongueregards bobTongue
doccod View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
B.J.'s Spinnerbaits

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doccod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2013 at 4:08pm
Like most of you I used to use Abu Toby Spoons then I found Maribou Jigs in white,then it was minnows in hard bodies and now its my spinnerbaits and jewie jigs I tie out of fur and mylar. In S.A. I used to use heddon baby torpedo's for mainly salmon but occasionaly a tailor would find its way up the gulf to wallaroo.....
darcymenchin View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
Mencho Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darcymenchin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2013 at 6:12pm
Hi all,
I had the opportunity to try a couple of P.Js great lures and the Tailor did not mind having a go at them ,caught a couple of gooduns too,Thanks P.J.
Regards Darcy.

bassnbob View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
B.O.B Timber Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bassnbob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jul 2014 at 9:25am
WHAT YOURS???????????
Mal Vader View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mal Vader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2014 at 11:12pm
Bilge, that was them.
Been scoring lately on Raiders, only the green/yellow,,, go figure.
Added some green and yellow feathers to the hook with dark orange bind.
No camera at the mo, pics will come.
DARK LORD
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic