Forum Home Forum Home > General Lure Discussion > Fishing with Lures
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Hard Body for Marlin

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Fishaholic Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Darby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Hard Body for Marlin
    Posted: 30 Dec 2011 at 9:34pm
Got a question for the general mob here,
A guy at work wants me to build a timber lure for large pelagics and even Marlin Confused
I am thinking a shape like the usual bibless trolling lure, about 10-12" in length. A wide forehead to act as a diving bib of sorts, and utilising a dense heavy timber in the lower chin/forward belly to make it sinking instead of lead. Full through wire (will 150lb do??) rigging.

What are your thoughts????

Brad
"If you are going to have fun with your rod.. get some wood

bilge View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
Bill Jackson Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bilge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec 2011 at 10:30pm
Brad I went down that track (sort of unfinished business) about 25 years ago. The lures I made were bibbed and coated in fibreglass. I will eventually finnish that as the action wasnt quite right but just needed tuning. They were through wire and the wire was welded to the bib and at the centre & rear hook hangers. The wire I used was Stainless mercury contol cable. I think that 1.6mm tig rods I am currently using may be ok Overall length 40cm including bib I suspect the body was meranti or cedar. I only ever caught mackeral and barracuda on them but the plan was to run it between baits as a teaser.
Different to what your planning but that is how I approached the subject.
Billj

lj
The older I get the more I learn.
CaptainCranky View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Guide
LureLovers.com Guide
Beta Tester

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CaptainCranky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Dec 2011 at 5:36am
Brad,the bibless are a good tried and proven fish taker,however not ideally suited to Marlin.The overall weight that the lure will end up being bibless is less than effective for jumping fish.Wahoo. Yellowfin, Dog-tooth and Spanish Mackerel are the main targets achieved.
Marlin certainly eat them and get landed but keeping the hooks in is a big problem.
One needs to consider a look towards putting single hooks on the bibless for better reliability in staying attached once hooked.
I still vividly remember one afternoon trolling in front of No.5 Ribbon reef with the 2 Heavy Tackle rods out and a 6" Red McConnachie bibless on the 50lbs bait rod in the middle and short for a livebait.An 800 lbs Marlin came up past our swim bait and large skip bait and ate the bibless.The next 5 mins was exciting as we got lots of jumps out of her and eventually got hold of the leader and broke her off.
Anyway enough of that,do your homework with the bibless and especially the lead at the nose otherwise the swimming properly part will be a mission.
The Journey is the Reward

puglee62 View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Fugly Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote puglee62 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Dec 2011 at 9:57am
how about a bibless lure with a body that comes away from the hooks and slides up the line away from the fish when hooked?.food for thought?PropellorHead
Jimmac View Drop Down

JM Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimmac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Dec 2011 at 9:17pm
You definitely need lead under the chin.
Jim 
Darby View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Fishaholic Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Darby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan 2012 at 5:00pm
Thanks all for your input, greatly appreciated.
This is a prelim drawing I did, showing the shape and general layout of the wire and weights.

I want to make the body in Silky Oak which is more tooth prooof than cedar or huon, with the chin made from Leatherwood which is tough and heavy. This weight and the internal sinkers should allow the proper attitude for the forehead to impart the action.
Brad

oh and that's an A4 sheet so the lure will be about 290mm long.

CaptainCranky View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Guide
LureLovers.com Guide
Beta Tester

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CaptainCranky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan 2012 at 5:03pm
Send a prototype Brad and I will put it t the test.
The Journey is the Reward

puglee62 View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Fugly Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote puglee62 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan 2012 at 8:21pm
how about ironbark for the lurebody Brad?,thats even tougher than silky oak
Darby View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Fishaholic Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Darby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan 2012 at 9:00pm
Chris,
I want some flotation from the main body, As you know it is generally accepted (from what I can see) that the reaction of the diving plane against the buoyancy of the lure that provides a goodly portion of a lures action, the weight in the chin is to drag the head down allowing water flow over the diving plane, as well as providing some ballast to stop the lure rolling over too far which also  is part of the action.
Silky Oak I reckon will be a good compromise between buoyancy and toughness. Leatherwood has a density of 730-770kg/mt3 and is at least as dense as most mainland hard-woods I know , but much better to work with.

Brad

fletch View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
Kuttafurra Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fletch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan 2012 at 10:07pm
Keen to see this badboy finished ..... I had some QLD maple that's what the timber yard said .... Tough timber but still worked with well . Made that large cod lure with it ....... Might be worth a look ..... Cheers Aaron
puglee62 View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Fugly Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote puglee62 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan 2012 at 10:12pm
sorry Brad i didnt know it needed a lot of bouyancy,i'll be keen to see this lure when its doneThumbs Up
jkis View Drop Down
Unverified New Member
Unverified New Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jkis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2012 at 11:09am
i have a couple off favorite bibless lures "boone" i'm sure there made of wood and dont float,  none of my bibless lures float,  keen to see what you come up with
cheers stuart  
Darby View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Fishaholic Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Darby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2012 at 6:05pm
Chris, it wont need much buoyancy, not like our bass and cod lures, but just enough to be almost a suspender or slow sinker, the buoyancy component is more to keep the lure upright and promote the swim action.
Stuart, yes indeed most of the big offshore bibless I have come across are bricks. This guy is fishing from a 5.5mt centre cab mostly and wont be able to achieve the same speeds as a game boat in choppy conditions, so we are aiming at something to work at slower speeds like 6-10knt.

Brad

Darby View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Fishaholic Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Darby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2012 at 7:49pm
I have started on this lure...here's the link if you want to watch.
http://lurelovers.com/forum/big-offshore-bibless_topic7228.html

Cheers Brad

bluey View Drop Down
Unverified New Member
Unverified New Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bluey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2012 at 7:55pm
Brad trolling Cape Moreton lotsa bill rash on minnows as others here have said
hard to keep the hooks in a billfish on minnows

regards George
redfish11 View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote redfish11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2012 at 9:08pm
We have pinned & landed a few small Blacks,  (up to 150 lb),  on Yo Zuri bibless lures.
Incidental catches, when targeting mackeral.
As long as you keep the weight on them,  super sharp double hooks stay in.
Mind you, the fight was not that prolonged , fighting them on 10kg & 15 kg outfits.
MXB View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MXB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2012 at 4:41pm
Might want to think about upping the wire used and look at the 400lb class. Thats the minimum trace we use on 24kg and 37kg rods and they have been snapped at the boat a few times. Just a thought if the big boy hits?

MXB
TerryTheGoat View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TerryTheGoat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2012 at 7:21pm
ill be very keen to see this lure when its done, let me know if you need a test pilot!!

lead lure View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lead lure Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2015 at 7:13pm
Brad have been reading this old posts did you ever finish this lure anb if you did were there any fish caught on it
Cheers Graeme
Darby View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Fishaholic Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Darby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2015 at 1:21am
Graeme, It still uncompleted..over taken by other jobs   Embarrassed
I sort of stopped when MXB said try 400lb wire....anybody know who sells it in 1mt lengths Ermm

Might finish it as is just for the LOL at the Expo

lead lure View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lead lure Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2015 at 9:03am
Have some number 8 fencing wire if that would help (for younger members that is wire about 4mm thick)
Cheers Graeme
bilge View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
Bill Jackson Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bilge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2015 at 9:12am
Brad I used to use the inner core of old outboard control cables they are stainless , but hard to work with, other than that for smaller lures I use 1.6mm SS (mig or tig can never remember which)Confused welding wire it comes in 1 metre lengths. I buy a tube of them very handy, other than that a stainless welder may be able to help.
 Billj
The older I get the more I learn.
Davent View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Davent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2015 at 9:24am
Brad, how is this for an idea?
Try a large timber skip bait, with hooks that break away from the lure when the fish is hooked.
Atheism is a non prophet organisation
Tony Mc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tony Mc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2015 at 9:43pm
I was thinking the same as Graeme. Jory's at Geebung, sell fencing supplies, if you don't mind using gal. instead of s.s. Don't know about one metre, but they'd cut maybe 5 or 10 m lengths.

Darby View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Fishaholic Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Darby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2015 at 9:47pm
Thanks guys for the ideas and Bilge for the offer to send some tig wire to me, I found a roll of 500lb SS wire lying in a dark corner and will try that. Don't remember where I got it, must be old age Unhappy

Will try and finish it just for shite and giggles.

Cheers Brad

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic