LURELOVERS™ Australian Fishing Lure Community Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Lure Making > The Luremakers Shed
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Lure weighting moulds

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Scurvy Dog Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Balls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Lure weighting moulds
    Posted: 06 Jan 2012 at 9:15am
G’day all

I made some moulds out of aluminium to weight some of my lures, depending on the size of the weight/diameter you want you just need two pieces of aluminium that are thick enough to drill out & leave enough on each side for the mould to stay intact. I also have different lengths weights so it’s a matter of cutting the Aluminium to the required length/depth. If you make the aluminium moulds long enough you can drill multiple holes along the length so when you pour the weights you pour more then one weight at a time. I make these because the lure weights have to be consistent, so I will explain how I make them & then provide alternative options for any one who doesn’t have the gear or inclination to make the mould.

In this example I will use two pieces of 8mm aluminium, approximately 300 mm in length ripped down to 20 mm in height. The two pieces are pinned together by what ever you have lying around, a pop rivet pin or similar would suffice. Line up pieces of aluminium together & drill holes the diameter of the pin through both pieces, at least one pin at each end. The pin would be epoxied in one side to remain permanent, the part of the pin that protrudes slides into the other hole so your mould stay in line when pouring (just look at a commercial sinker mould & you would get the idea of what the pins do, on commercial moulds its usually a little round lug to line up the mould). Once the epoxy had cured put the two pieces back together & place in a vice or similar, they should be in perfect alignment because of the pins. Select the diameter drill you require for a weight, in this one I am using an 8mm metal drill bit, preferably using a drill press drill straight down the join (this is important for ease of de moulding) of the two pieces of aluminium to a depth of about 18 mm leaving the last 2 mm in tact. Move along the length of the aluminium & drill as many weights as you can fit on the length of aluminium, usually leave about 30 mm between holes. Once completed depending on the size of the wire you intend to mould into your weight you drill the remaining 2 mm out with the smaller drill bit to suit the diameter of the wire when it is twisted up.

Place the twisted wire in the mould with the circular bit on the out side of the last 2 mm & pour the lead, de mould, you will end up with a lead weight & the twisted wire in the centre & the circular eyelet on one end, how far you mould the wire out will depend on the style of lure you are making, the weights are also ideal for applications of rigging swim baits for Billfish & other gamefish.

Another option to do the same as above is to use thicker aluminium & drill a couple of 6 mm, 8 mm 10 mm weights & so on, so you have a good selection to suit different size swim baits.

I have them made in sizes from midgets in width & length, up to 12 mm diameter & about 75 mm in length which I use in the rear of Bird Teasers I make, big sliders for GT’s, Macs etc).

The easiest method to install the weights is to drill the weights in position whilst the timber is still flat, have the position marked on your pattern, just drill the hole neat diameter for the weight used & to the required depth of the weight, “don’t install weight”, complete cutting pattern & shaping process, whichever process you do your lures, once that process is complete you can then glue the weight in place before sealing/spraying or whatever process you use, if it doesn’t make sense let me know & I will con my daughter into taking some photos, cheers Balls.
Scurvy Dog
flyonline View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flyonline Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan 2012 at 9:28am
Balls

I've done the same but used some hardwood (tassie oak) for the mold halves instead which has been fine for my limited numbers. Now I just need a way of measuring molten lead so I don't have to cut the excess of each one....

Steve
Screamingreel View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Screamingreel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan 2012 at 9:51am
Thanks for posting Balls

Very interesting
regards John
Mcleod View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder

Macquarie Customs

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mcleod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan 2012 at 11:25am
Balls, thanks for posting

Angus
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic