LURELOVERS™ Australian Fishing Lure Community Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Fishing Tackle > General Tackle Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Old Flopys Tuna oil

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Screamingreel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Old Flopys Tuna oil
    Posted: 24 Jan 2012 at 10:09am
Came across and interesting article the other day which I have unfortunately mis- placed at the moment.

Tuna oil  was  placed inside the old flopy achieving some great result.

Anybody else tried it.

Be careful where you place the lure when finishing fishing ,likely to have some remaining oil in the lure.

Looking forward to trying this one out.

Regards John
MXB View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MXB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2012 at 10:22am
Good idea but you would have to think it would ruin the plastic over time.

No doubt would attract fish

MXB
Nicho View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Nichos Maulers

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nicho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2012 at 3:03pm
WOULD CATCH CATS TOO!!!Thumbs Up

Have heard of guys doing this injecting the oil into the body.....no doubt would work well.
Nichos Maulers Homemade timber lures....THEY CATCH FISH!

YA DONT KNOW...IF YA DONT GO...SO GET OUT THERE AND... FISH IT
Darby View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Fishaholic Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Darby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2012 at 5:21pm
hmmm the Flopy would be past it's prime if they could do that. The Flopy Body is supposed to be sealed to give the flotation, There is a weight in the belly to add stability.
At the going price of Flopy's nowadays, I not sure the idea will be rekindled LOL
"If you are going to have fun with your rod.. get some wood

fishaholic5 View Drop Down
Industry Member
Industry Member

Illusion Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fishaholic5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2012 at 6:39pm

Didn't you blokes ever get to fish with rubber flopy's?

The body was made of Latex not plastic, and the little cone shaped plug in the nose was designed to allow the lure to be partially or fully filled with water to adjust the bouyancy or weight of the lure.
It was common practise to fill the chamber with tuna oil, aniseed or other scents

Hope this helps
Wal
Illusion Lures
Darby View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Fishaholic Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Darby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2012 at 7:10pm
Wal, that was true, but only on later soft Flopy's. After Mitchell bought the design they introduced the white removable 'plug'. The original Rublex Flopy had the hole gooped up with a blob of the same rubber stuff as the body.

This was also only available on the Large size.

heres what the inside of a Flopy looks like

Brad

flyonline View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flyonline Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2012 at 7:23pm
Woot, the big flopy I have is an original!

horrorhead View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLover of the Year 2020

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horrorhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2012 at 7:45pm
Gotta go check my big Flopys now. Martin
Martin-

you don't havta be pretty to fish
Darby View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Fishaholic Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Darby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2012 at 7:56pm
**** can imagine a lot of guys calling out to the missus....."back in a tick, just checking my big floppys head"***** LOL

fishaholic5 View Drop Down
Industry Member
Industry Member

Illusion Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fishaholic5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2012 at 8:27pm

Interestingly a drop of rubber cement applied to the thin film over the plug to seal it permanently would create that effect on those "newer" flopy"s and many fisho's also used it to fill the hole once that plug was lost.

Cheers
Wal
Illusion Lures
Darby View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Fishaholic Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Darby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2012 at 8:49pm
True enough Wally, there could be a few 'newer' ones out there (we are still discussing a lure that hasn't been available for nigh on 30years) but alterations to them would be easily uncovered by the lack of matching paint work.
All my Rublex flopy's in all three sizes have similar gooping and all covered by original paint.. I do have a medium colour J still in box with a different colour goop, that I suspect is an occaision like you describe.

goldtrev68 View Drop Down
Ex Member.
Ex Member.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote goldtrev68 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2012 at 9:07pm
what else will they think of
Screamingreel View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Screamingreel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2012 at 10:01am
thank for the additional info Wal and Brad
Some of the models appear to deteriorate just through age ( cracks and seams in material) from memory the article was trying to suggest additional ways of getting value out of the lure.
I have to check mine out  I cannot remember having any stopper at the front of the lures.

Brad is that the reason some unusually high prices are paid on Ebay for flopys, because there is an actual earlier model

regards John
Darby View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Fishaholic Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Darby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2012 at 4:45pm
John, one would like to think so, but I have seen later Mitchell ones go for equally high prices. Possble that some may not be aware of the age differences, and just assume that all soft Flopy's are equal.
One thing on the cracking, the one I cut open has quite a lot of cracking, but when the inside is examined, the cracks are only on the outer surface, so the lures integrity is still complete. HOWEVER I have seen a lot of sunburnt ones that are almost inflexible to the point of crumbling apart.
One other comment, even though that one had a cracked skin, it was a damn hard job to cut through with a new stanley blade. It is quite amazing how durable that early rubber is, I reckon even Jacks would have to work hard to puncture it.

Brad

LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Screamingreel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2012 at 5:45pm
Thanks mate
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Screamingreel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2012 at 5:53pm
Found ad Modern fishing  Mar 1980
Has water on lure ,but front appears clear, one piece, perhaps no plug

Regards John

Darby View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Fishaholic Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Darby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2012 at 6:17pm

Thanks John.
It has the 'plug' as it should being later Mitchell one.
Nice to have the 'research' confirmed

Brad

horrorhead View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLover of the Year 2020

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horrorhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2012 at 8:57pm
OhYeahsome of mine are the early suckers - yeeeahoooo. Martin
Martin-

you don't havta be pretty to fish
MXB View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MXB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2012 at 10:21am
Yeh mine too but like the Mitchell ones with stoppers and used to fill them partially with water for extra weight. Never even thought of putting scent in them doh

MXB
Darby View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Fishaholic Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Darby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2012 at 3:48pm
I STILL DON'T SEE HOW THE SCENT WOULD GET OUT ?????Wacko

LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Screamingreel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2012 at 8:37pm
Good question   Brad
I will just have to find the article ,and place here, when found again
One of my Flopys has come adrift from the metal centre I suppose a dab of glue and a peg should mix it.

Regards John.
Darby View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Fishaholic Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Darby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2012 at 9:39pm
John, if the rubber belly channel has come adrift, theres not a lot you can do without changing the appearence and possible resale value. some delicate application of super glue might make it look better though.

Brad

LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Screamingreel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2012 at 8:11am
Thanks mate
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Screamingreel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2012 at 10:27am
Found one of my early ones has a plastic box but no papers/ advertising material .
It has a mark at the front, but not what you would call a ,plug.  Nothing there that you could actually open.
 Overcast day but took some different angle shots.
may need some sunlight to get the extra detail.
regards John
flyonline View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flyonline Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2012 at 11:34am
John

I've got a large and small one of them too Wink

One of the little one does have a plug though. I do have a possible source for small floppy replacement bibs if anyone is interested, I should get around to getting one for mine too!

Does anyone know the code letter/symbols found on the rib? The large one has a "9", the same colour (original?) small has a "B" and the other small I think has a "t" (hard to read).

What's the going rate for original near perfects? Maybe I should put these away in the safe to give to my grandkids one day like I got these from my grandad (along with a pair of mint condition cane hardy fly rods) LOL

Steve
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Screamingreel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2012 at 11:58am
Steve We will have to wait for Brad to give us a bit more info.

regards John
Ianthe View Drop Down
Unverified New Member
Unverified New Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ianthe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2016 at 1:13pm
Hi DARBY, Interesting photo of a disected flopy. I have always been puzzled by how this lure was made.Was it made in two pieces and later joined? 
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic