LURELOVERS™ Australian Fishing Lure Community Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Lure Discussion > Lure Collecting > Maintaining your collection
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

removing paint from lure

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cornboy888 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: removing paint from lure
    Posted: 31 Jan 2012 at 7:48am
G`day guys,
Have bought an old lure and it has been resprayed using spray paint .    It then has been sealed with acrylic clear from a spray can.  Would like to remove then clear and the paint leaving the original clear and original paint undisturbed and in good condition on the lure.
What is the best way of doing this?  Have got a lot of patience and don`t care how long it takes.
The lure is a timber stumpy. As far as I can tell it has never been swam .  The paint started to crack and so it was repainted and then sold to me.

Thanks in advance for any and all suggestions

regards Chris
wahootim View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wahootim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2012 at 8:13am
Chris, if you look under the title "Whatever" on the 4th page about 6 lines down called "Removing paint' i did this excersise awhile back hope this helps. Tim.
cornboy888 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cornboy888 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2012 at 1:10pm
Thanks for that Tim,  Very good advice.   Have to remove the clear coat first.which is very tough I think that brake fluid is the go and then the other steps.  On closer inspection the lure has been swam briefly and the paint work underneath is much worse than I imagined. Thanks again.  Chris
fletch View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
Kuttafurra Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fletch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2012 at 1:14pm
I just picked up an older c lure . Which you would have seen on the bay . RePainted crap so I'm sanding it all of giving it a whole new paint and then sending it back to its maker ...might put a post of my stages of it ..... So sometimes I reckon just rub them back and give them a new look .... . Cheers Aaron
stinger View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2012 at 3:23pm
VERY HARD TODO MUCH TIME INVOLVED I DID A BOUNTY SAME PAINT AS YOU HAD ON YOUR STUMPY,,,, GUESS WHAT I HAVE A GREAT NUDDIE NOW Embarrassed  ROD
REMEMBER FOOLS RUSH IN WERE ANGELES FEAR TO TREAD

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cornboy888 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2012 at 7:06am
The lure turned out to be a number 9 stumpy.  Methods of cleaning were good. But the lures original paint is to bad and therefore it will be a nude stumpy.  Very disappointing about the original paint.  But a nude stumpy should look good .  I really hope it has a good grain.
Thanks for the info Tim.

Cheers  Chris
Brolly View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brolly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2012 at 6:15pm
Originally posted by cornboy888 cornboy888 wrote:

The lure turned out to be a number 9 stumpy.  Methods of cleaning were good. But the lures original paint is to bad and therefore it will be a nude stumpy.  Very disappointing about the original paint.  But a nude stumpy should look good .  I really hope it has a good grain.
Thanks for the info Tim.

Cheers  Chris
Chris, i wouldn't count on much of a grain when you strip it back to nude.I've given a couple of timber stumpy's the full sandblasting treament(yes really a full on industial sandblaster) and the timber is very light in colour with an almost non existant grain,i think i was told the wood used was poplar.Here's one i've refitted the hooks and added a replacement set of eyes.Mike (Brolly)
FISHING JUSTS GETS IN THE WAY OF MY LURE COLLECTING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cornboy888 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2012 at 6:27pm
G`day mike, I see what you mean, very light indeed.   Now that I have seen a nude one. I can`t help but wonder what a semi nude one would look like.  Or even a rich red tint in the clear coat over some back Sargent stripes.  .I will have to think about it for a while before I do it.  Thanks Mike for your input.
bassnbob View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
B.O.B Timber Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bassnbob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2016 at 10:04am
IS acetone the go to start to get the clear coat off before you hit paint???????????????Big smileregards bob
hazmail View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Rayna Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hazmail Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2016 at 8:20pm
Bob, also consider "fuming", this is a process they use to remove layers of paint from old paintings, saw it done years ago when working as a picture framer--
You hang the object on a jar lid and add a small amount of solvent to the jar (attach the lid without the object being immersed in the solvent) until you find the right one to dissolve the top coating, start with turps and work through alcohol, thinners and on to acetone and MEK etc until you find something that will dissolve the coating--
Because it's only fumes attacking the coating and not a liquid, it's pretty mild (and slow).
How much time have you got??
I often use this to clean out an air brush overnight---also good to strip back plastic lures, BUT keep an eye on it.
Pete
   'RAYNA' ---Free Range Lures
peterayn@yahoo.com.au
bassnbob View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
B.O.B Timber Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bassnbob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2016 at 9:22am
PETe awesome mate that process sounds easy &clean times not a problem now to find a larger glass jar thanks pete very good advise ClapClapClapWinkWinkBig smileBig smileregards bob
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic