LURELOVERS™ Australian Fishing Lure Community Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Lure Discussion > Lure Collecting > Is this Fishing Lure authentic?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Spot the Dempster !

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote micknq Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Spot the Dempster !
    Posted: 13 Feb 2012 at 8:26pm
Getting an ID can be tricky business in the lure collecting game, so which of these are Dempsters ?
No 1 - 99% sure
No 2 - No , it's an Athol Cook
No 3 - God only knows
No 4 - 100 % , bought it myself.
ORDMICK View Drop Down
Unverified New Member
Unverified New Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ORDMICK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2012 at 8:29pm
Bottom one for sure, the eyes look wrong on the top one!!!

Mick
Nicho View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Nichos Maulers

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nicho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2012 at 8:35pm
first impression was no 1...dempster....4 definately...but 1 has differences...though the lines in the paint say 99%LOL
Nichos Maulers Homemade timber lures....THEY CATCH FISH!

YA DONT KNOW...IF YA DONT GO...SO GET OUT THERE AND... FISH IT
steiny View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steiny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2012 at 9:03pm
I would be happy to have lure No 1 and 4 in my collection. They are both dempsters. The eye placement does vary - in front and behind the bib.
cheers steiny
Darby View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Fishaholic Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Darby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2012 at 9:04pm
I think #2 is also, George seemed to like that little splash of red under bib and tail.
"If you are going to have fun with your rod.. get some wood

wahootim View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wahootim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2012 at 9:12pm
I reckon no 1 is a Dempster, others????. Tim
micknq View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote micknq Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2012 at 9:12pm
That's the problem I'm getting at, I was given No2 by the actual maker Athol Cook a couple of weeks ago. He learnt his trade by crafting along side George Dempster many moons ago. I'm just thinking that I wouldn't want to mistakenly pass off a Dempster ( or anything else for that matter ) if there is a chance that it's not the real mcCoy.
wahootim View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wahootim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2012 at 9:15pm
Looking again the 2 middle ones i reckon they are the same maker. Tim
micknq View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote micknq Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2012 at 9:21pm
That's what I'm thinking also Tim.
ORDMICK View Drop Down
Unverified New Member
Unverified New Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ORDMICK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2012 at 10:02pm
After this post I might have to re think a couple of mine that may be dempsters, especially #2

Mick
micknq View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote micknq Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2012 at 11:08pm
Mick , there were only a few hundred of the Cooks ( No2 ) made so the odds are in your favour that you are more likely to have a dempster than one of these . Post a photo up if you're not sure of a couple. I wouldn't mind betting that there's many '' maybe '' dempsters out there . I can visit with Athol Cook any time to get his opinion if anyones '' maybes ''are in fact his .
CaptainCranky View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Guide
LureLovers.com Guide
Beta Tester

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CaptainCranky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2012 at 6:52am
Great info Mick,thanks for sharing
The Journey is the Reward

grey nomad View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote grey nomad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2012 at 10:28pm
So whos are these ones???
ConfusedLOL
Gristy
steiny View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steiny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2012 at 10:46pm
Carl....I am not sure any of those are dempsters. Is the bottom one a Jim mac? None of the paintwork matches George's handywork. The middle one (silver) is close. cheers
cheers steiny
Seaweed View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
née Capt.Seaweed

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Seaweed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2012 at 9:57am
Who's Athol Cook?
Seaweed.
"Always Merry and Bright"
goldtrev68 View Drop Down
Ex Member.
Ex Member.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote goldtrev68 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2012 at 11:29am
I knew nothing before I read this post,,,now I know less,,,thanks guys,,,Gary
Tony View Drop Down
Admin
Admin
Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tony Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2012 at 3:30pm
Great post Mick, thanks!

I'd feel reasonably confident in calling one and four Dempsters too, interesting to learn about Athol Cooks lures though!

If you get the chance, it would be great to learn more about Athol and his lures.

After reading this I'll have to have a look through my Dempsters to see if I have any that might be Athol's in there and will take you up on your kind offer to get Athol to have a look. Thanks for sharing your local knowledge with us Smile

p.s. Would it be possible for you to please post up some photo's of the comparison of the four lures looking from above and below, I'm curious to learn how similar the bib design is/isn't.
Cheers, Tony

For the love of Fishing Lures.
Seaweed View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
née Capt.Seaweed

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Seaweed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2012 at 10:33am
Mick, on closer inspection of the four lures, I'd say the top one is the Dempster. Going by all my Pipeline George's as a guide, I noticed all George's are narrower at the tail. So guy's, take a look at your Dempster's and see if you agree?
Regards, Seaweed.
"Always Merry and Bright"
barneyminno View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Deep River Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote barneyminno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2012 at 1:09pm
1 and 4 are definitelt George's lures.
The others , no idea. But not Georges.
steiny View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steiny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2012 at 2:13pm
Yeah, numbers 2 & 3 are not consistent with George's paintwork.
cheers steiny
micknq View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote micknq Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2012 at 5:05pm
All the info I know is in here if it helps. http://www.lurelovers.com/forum/possible-nq-mystery-solver_topic7485.html
micknq View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote micknq Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2012 at 9:28pm
pictures as requested,
dempster                        cook                        cook                           ???               dempster

Mick.
grey nomad View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote grey nomad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2012 at 9:30pm
Originally posted by grey nomad grey nomad wrote:

So whos are these ones???
ConfusedLOL
Gristy

Only posted these to show some more Dempster look alikes.
The top two are Boysies, bottom one might be as well but still not sure.

Gristy
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic