LURELOVERS™ Australian Fishing Lure Community Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Lure Discussion > Fishing with Lures
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Down and across - with lures

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flyonline Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Down and across - with lures
    Posted: 24 Mar 2012 at 2:52pm
Many, many times now I've come across a snag fishing for natives that can only be fished, or fished best with a down and across retrieve across the face of the snag, somewhat like the old fashioned fly method.

Yet I have still to catch a fish, or even get a hit using this method. For the life of me I can't understand why - I've seen and caught fish from the front of snags like rootballs of fallen trees, large boulders and the like but running a lure down to/past it from upstream and letting the current pull it across has never worked. This is both with diving and surface lures (I'm not a big fan of spinner baits) and landbased and from the yak.

Anyone else use this method and do you catch fish?

Steve
puglee62 View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Fugly Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote puglee62 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2012 at 5:38pm
ive used it on trout and it works on them but Bass and Cod seem to turn thier noses up when i try it on them.a mate of mate sugested down and across and then winding the lure in reverse so that it appears as a baitfish fighting the current but losing.i havent tried it myself though
muckawa View Drop Down
Unverified New Member
Unverified New Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote muckawa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2013 at 1:12pm
I've cast out floating line to places were its not possible to fish on streams
by mending line i've got the flies under willows, stopped the drift and worked the flies in the shade
i.ve drifted the flies into pockets and the back wash behind bolders, 
there is a point that the fish cant see you , too close , the fish won't bite, they refer to this as the fishes window, the deeper the fish , the bigger the window
walking up stream the fish dont see you , but if the water is still , they hear you
walking down stream calls for long casts , or long drifts ,the current will do the work for you with the right lures and flies, floating yabbies , frogs , mudeyes,the lure must match the hatch?????? 
fishaholic5 View Drop Down
Industry Member
Industry Member

Illusion Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fishaholic5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2013 at 1:46pm
It will work on Cod, Yellowbelly and BassSmile

Having a lure working slowly downstream into a snag against the current as Chris mentioned can sometimes be the only way to get a response from Cod or Bass that are tight in around the base of structure with a bibbed lure

Cheers
Wal

Illusion Lures
rodsncods View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rodsncods Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2013 at 3:13pm
downstream against the current????? how?.....mick
fishaholic5 View Drop Down
Industry Member
Industry Member

Illusion Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fishaholic5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2013 at 3:32pm
We used to do it with small Celta's and bibbed lures, sneak up at the top of a fast run with an undercut bank at the head of a pool. Drop the lure off the rod tip and let it work every pocket on the way downstream until the current got too weak. Then just retrieve as normal
For fish holding in tight amongst structure in a fast river or tidal flow, a lure can be positioned to work into and across the front of likely holding areas.
A long rod or a boat makes this a breeze. I've used it for Freshwater and Saltwater species after reading about trolling lures backwards in a current for Tarpon (in America) years ago

Cheers
Wal
Illusion Lures
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic