LURELOVERS™ Australian Fishing Lure Community Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Australian Lures > NT Lures
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

My first BarraGuru

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pecheur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: My first BarraGuru
    Posted: 03 May 2012 at 10:17pm

Hi there,

I got very lucky and I was offered a beautiful wooden fishing lure, a BarraGuru.
BarraGuru are hand made timber lures, produced in Darwin, by Tony B.
These as the name suggest, are fishing lures to be used in the pursuit of the mighty Barramundi.
I had seen a few of them, but never had the chance to own one before, it is then easy to imagine my joy at getting one.

And yes, you need to see it, so, here it is:

A 2012 BarraGuru.

The lure is 9.5cm long (about 3.7 inches).
I really like this shape, colour and pattern. It has a retro feel about it, that makes me think of an old English car. In the flurry of multicoloured plastic lure that we can find in almost any fishing tackle shop, it is a bit like finding back an old classic.
I really enjoy that, it has to me, a calming effect. 

Signed under the belly.

Yes, it is signed and dated under the belly. This is the sure proof of a small but passionately hand crafted production. Not just a token of pride, but more the sign that the maker stands behind his creation. 

Head and shoulder.

With a view of the aluminium bib on which the body pattern is repeated, another nice touch in a world of hurried and good enough attitude.

The red throat.

The red throat reminds me of a little bird, commonly known as the European Robin. 
How does a fishing lure makes me think of a bird? Well, I am just pretty confident that there are many anglers out there who are closet bird watchers. 
Simply for the fact, that water birds are often a good pointer as to where the fish are...
And on a very slow fishing day, looking at the birds is a good way to occupy one's mind for a few short moments,  away from the hard work of catching some elusive fishes.

Now, how did this great little lure landed in my open hands?
Well it is really straightforward, I received one phone call of Tony B. himself, who said that I was welcome to come to his place to show him some of my lures, which needed identification, that he could help me with that.
And that he would give me a lure from his own production at the same time...
(Yes, I was very fast in getting to his place).
Thank you Tony, this is a very nice present.

He doesn't really sells his lures, he is more in the swapping for other lures or gift of his lures, to some of his mates or to some charities, than in the selling business.
Which is why they are not that easy to come across.

And now for the real lures collectors out there...
Here is a little thing about this lure, that makes it very special, on top of every things that you have been reading so far...
Yes it is a wooden lure, but could you guess what kind of timber it is made of, and where does it come from?
Are you seated?
The timber is Australian Red Cedar, and it comes from under the house of the famous lure maker Eric Moller in Cardwell, in the far North Queensland...
Yes the very timber this lure is made of, had first been stoked by Eric Moller himself, as stock for his own lure production.
It had never been used, and Tony B. got it from Eric Moller grandson.

Now if this is not special, I don't know what is...
To me this is quite simply another superb piece of Australiana fishing.

When Tony B. gave me the lure, he asked me if I was going to fish with it, saying that this one had a very nice action in the water...
Of course, I replied that there is no way that I would use it to fish!
That I was too afraid to scratch it!
Or even worse, loose it to a big fish or a snag.
Tony laughed, and said that I should use it.

But no, this is another perfect little swimmer that will never touch any water again... 
Some would say that this is a wast of a good fishing lure...

But hey, it could be worse.
Have a good day,
Me.
bignanny View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
CAM Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bignanny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2012 at 10:27pm
The red throat reminds me of an old Holden Commodore I once owned,LOL. Its a sweet looking lure with a nice looking colour scheme, thanks for posting. Regards Chris 
Nicho View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Nichos Maulers

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nicho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2012 at 10:46pm
Fish it....the maker would appreciate itWink....the time that goes into them by a maker does so with only one vision...not money..(well most makers)..not to hang up ....but to use to catch a fish...and give the reciever that pleasure.......and nothing will give "him" more pleasure than to see a picture of a nice fish with the lure in its mouth.
So please use it for what its intended for and post us a pic of a big barra...
very nice lure too.Clap
JasBig smile
Nichos Maulers Homemade timber lures....THEY CATCH FISH!

YA DONT KNOW...IF YA DONT GO...SO GET OUT THERE AND... FISH IT
Pecheur View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pecheur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2012 at 10:58pm
Hi there,

The problem with using it....
Is that I am much better at loosing lures than at catching fish with them...
And if I was to loose this one, I would be very upset.

Have a good day,
Pecheur
Seaweed View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
née Capt.Seaweed

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Seaweed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2012 at 10:36am
G'day Regis, use it mate, I'll make you another, same pattern if you lose it.LOL
Regards, Tony.
"Always Merry and Bright"
Mal Vader View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mal Vader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2012 at 12:58pm
Beautiful, not too many fish swimming would pass up a chance to bite it! Intricate scale pattern, love ya work Tony! Your a very lucky collector Pecheur.
DARK LORD
In Space, no-one can hear you SCREAM!
ringo View Drop Down
Unverified New Member
Unverified New Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ringo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2012 at 5:36pm
That really is a beautiful lure.  I love the colour scheme.  I am in awe of the talent of the lure makers on this site.  Well done Tony.
fletch View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
Kuttafurra Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fletch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2012 at 8:34pm
looks a nice lure ... i only have one and will be in the tackle box on our journey to yeppoon .... looks to be inspired or similiar to the old c lure . is it the cooktown tiger lure ..... would like a few more if you have any ...... cheers aaron
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic