LURELOVERS™ Australian Fishing Lure Community Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Lure Discussion > Fishing with Lures > Favourite Lure by species
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

barra lures

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mal Vader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2013 at 12:23pm
BIG FISH, Ron!!!
I've not been in a position to fish for Barra, yet.
So I don't have any personal experience, cannot comment. 
DARK LORD
In Space, no-one can hear you SCREAM!
horrorhead View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLover of the Year 2020

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horrorhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2013 at 5:34pm
That was the smallest of the 3?????????? 61

After this last trip I am more inclined to add some classic murray cod shaped lures as I used 4 different cod lures and got barra on them all.
Martin-

you don't havta be pretty to fish
peter am View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peter am Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2013 at 5:05pm
Iv,e been barra fishing for a long time and theres only one that works consist, And im not being paid , As a guide i try all sorts and barra classics are by far the best.
peter
lfc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lfc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2013 at 6:35pm
For me, I troll 90% of the time so I will mostly troll the Classic Barra in the rainbow green colour, in the times I like to have a flick I cannot go past the original Storm Thundersticks that come with the led suspender dots. If I play with a plastic I have a crap load of the Renosky Shads that I love. Anyone else still have a few Renosky's they use or remember. Just of interest, because I like to have long pauses when I troll between jigs I put led suspender dots under the bibs of my classics to keep them hanging a touch longer, geewiz it makes a huge difference on strikes, they still rise, just way slower, specially in some current.
Davent View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Davent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2013 at 7:37pm
Originally posted by peter am peter am wrote:

Iv,e been barra fishing for a long time and theres only one that works consist, And im not being paid , As a guide i try all sorts and barra classics are by far the best.

Me too, and I guided as well, in FNQ,Arhnemland as well as the darwin daley region, and I could not say that lure A is the best, I could say that lure A is my favorite.

The lure that YOU know how to get the most out of is the best lure for YOU to use.

I liked to use scorpians in the depth and size that suited the situation, I also liked classics, Mann's, DK scalerazas among others.
For casting, my boss was a gold bomber nut, we could fish side by side, both using bombers, he would consistantly out fish me 3-1. If I swaped the bomber for my favorite equivalent (herring color leads hi jacker) we would go back to 1-1, so I use that as an example for using what you use best.
There is NO extra special, better than all other lures, just our favorites.

Cheers, Dave.
Atheism is a non prophet organisation
Dunbug View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dunbug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2013 at 8:31pm
G'day Terry what is the white lure called. Thanks Pete
Water Stalker Lures
What water are you stalking.
rally44 View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Lee's Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rally44 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2013 at 8:47pm
Pete, I think that's a Koolabung Prawn, not sure if still made. Cheers Richard.
Dads in the shed making saw-dust again.
Dunbug View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dunbug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2013 at 8:52pm
Thanks Richard. Cheers Pete
Water Stalker Lures
What water are you stalking.
Dave View Drop Down
Assassin Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2013 at 7:58am
Davent u hit the nail right on the head Clap ive also fished for barra 35 of my 52 years on the planet theres so many considerations , ive learnt local knowledge  and experience and a bit of patients on any givin day with your FAVOURITE go to lure.  cheers Dave Wink
goldtrev68 View Drop Down
Ex Member.
Ex Member.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote goldtrev68 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2013 at 9:29am
Davent........funny mate.I just had the same convo with my son for flathead lures.....I have always been a massive fan of Mann`s Stretch +5....the other day I said to him that no lure is any better than another lure....he came back with but you say Mann`s are the best......my reply was that when it came down to it Mann`s are no better than others its just that I feel I can catch a fish on them....they are my go to lure because I have got some great fish on them.....Gary
peter am View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peter am Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2013 at 4:56pm
I wish the fish would bite that quick, Im a bit of a joker and horses for coarses , We all do the tests when the fish are on change lures and watch what happens, True unless you use equivalent lures you will get no result, Not trying to offend anyone they all work under given conditions, I just find those work better for barra  .Yes thunder sticks,bombers and a few others are good, We all fish our own way and what works for us might not work  for others. Im new here  but were all here to share and help each other , Arn,t we?
peter
peter am View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peter am Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2013 at 4:57pm
bet you have some nice cod though
peter
Nicho View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Nichos Maulers

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nicho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2013 at 5:35pm
hi peteram
i think classics are a great lure and got my biggest barra over the metre on one trolling....IVe got a mate that put a lot of time in testing....and his advice was....go get a few classics....I did and on my first trip hit the jackpot.
I dont think dave was being smart with his reply...he is right in what he says....a lot of lures work.....it all depends on the person using them as to whether they can bring the best out in a lure....every lure is different and if given the time to see how/ what/when/ and why a lure works..... great results can follow...even the ugliest lure in the box can become a favourite...once its mastered.
IF someone uses a certain lure 90 percent of the time and are confident to do so ...that lure will catch more fish....FOR THEM.....
but still no doubt those classics are a bloody good trolling lure....no doubt about that.

Nichos Maulers Homemade timber lures....THEY CATCH FISH!

YA DONT KNOW...IF YA DONT GO...SO GET OUT THERE AND... FISH IT
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horrorhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2013 at 5:57pm
My last couple of trips up Cape York I changed lures regularly testing them for various makers on site and a couple that are not on site. I caught barra on each maker's lures. Sometimes, depending upon the depth of the water I couldn't use some maker's lures and had to wait until I got to an area that I could use them.
There was only one lure that gave me a hassle (not a site member) catching a barra on and that was because I had lost his 2 dedicated barra lures and had to use one of his murray cod lures. But I still got barra on it.
To me I have learnt it is purely the correct lure selection type for the area and confidence in using the lure.
There were 4 different makers lures that I used that gave me murray cod lures and they worked well.
Martin-

peter am View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peter am Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2013 at 7:57am
peter
fisher480 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fisher480 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 2013 at 7:05pm
For shallow work. Reidy's B52 and River 2 Sea 12cm minnows. They were my favourite shallow lure until a recent trip to the Gulf. The Killalure 2 Deadly is now my favourite.  Barra love them but so dp threadies. Pop them or twitch them.
For trolling or deeper casting Barra Classics really are hard to beat followed by RMG Scorpions. I have caught a lot of barra on Prawnstars particularly around snags.

As a smaller barra lure I like Killalure Flatz rats, Mann stretch 10+, Jonesy Nifty and Tilsan barra. Not to forget my old Nilsmaster Spearheads I used 25 years ago.
bassnbob View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
B.O.B Timber Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bassnbob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug 2022 at 11:33am
smaller barra lures do they double as jack lures???????????
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horrorhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2022 at 1:01pm
Originally posted by bassnbob bassnbob wrote:

smaller barra lures do they double as jack lures???????????

Yes, I catch most of my jacks on lures by accident while chasing barra.
Martin-

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic